Elusive *loud* clacking!

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Elusive *loud* clacking!

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 16th 2019, 6:06am

Hello all!
I am a happy owner of a '96 Safari RWD (passenger, not cargo) that I purchased over 4 years ago for $1,500.
Despite the factory paint peeling, she looks pretty good and is eager to seek adventure any chance afforded. We have MANY wonderful memories in this stealth camper already and though it's a little rough around the edges, she's a metric buttload of fun to take anywhere!

Two years ago as we entered the quaint little town of Atchison, KS to celebrate the Amelia Earhart festival, we crossed a set of railroad tracks on 10th street. Yyyyeah.

Although following the posted speed limit, my wife an I found ourselves eating the dash/steering wheel and visiting the headrest alternatively. With mucho gusto.

At one point we were totally on the front wheels with the suspension completely maxed, then we took in the clouds while the rear wheels followed suit.

After a thorough check of the undercarriage and seeing nothing obviously broken, I pressed on. Ever since then, she pops and clanks. I have checked EVERYTHING I can imagine...no broken sway bar, bent A arm, sheared bolts on any thing like the crossmember or frame attachment points, ect. And I'm acquainted with her underside intimately after fixing an unfortunately placed blown brake line.

The sound happens when the van starts to experience negative G's and then pops again as it rests back down. It is a heavy metallic CLACK as if a ballpeen hammer was struck smartly on a prominent frame member, and can be felt by the passengers feet on the floor. So with the sound/knock emanating from the passenger side, I'm gravitating towards the possibility of something broken in the upper part of the shock tower. *I'm not entirely sure that 'shock tower' is the exact nomenclature so I digress.

She drives fine, and we've gotten used to the sound, but late at night when I'm coming home, (night shift worker) I'm certain my neighbors hear it because our drive flexes the suspension. Even so, the sound means something is broken and I just cannot figure out what it is.

In this wisdom rich environment, I'm hoping for some insight. I'd hate to have to disassemble an AC unit/heater core or whatever else you have to do to get to the top of the shock and find it's not the problem. Buuuut...

Anyone with something they can share, similar story, suggestions, I'm all ears buddy!
Thanks muchly!
CarpeDiem
:wave:
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: CarpeDiem has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Greg
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: V6 RWD passenger

Re: Illusive *loud* clacking!

Postby Leeann_93 » August 17th 2019, 12:19am

Welcome!

The word is "elusive" - not "illusive" - by the way.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby sixsix » August 17th 2019, 12:57am

Leeann_93 wrote:Welcome!

The word is "elusive" - not "illusive" - by the way.

'cept you will really be thinking illusive when you recheck that sway bar better/closeup.
( we did not see ours at first either... but we sure heard it )

Good Luck - keep us posted.
Oh... and Welcome from us too.

Mike

if you think the ones in Atchison are bad - the ones in Topeka and Santa Fe are even worse...

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby WoodButcher » August 17th 2019, 1:17am

Wouldn't that depend on what kind of hat he's wearing? Kinda like an optical delusion maybe? no, nono, we're after a sound.
But if he can pull a bunny from his hat, I'm getting sidetracked here,
Careful Greg, I think she is an English teacher, lol.
As for that sound I think the first way I would try to find it would be to put the nose up on jack stands w/ the suspension hanging. If you put them under the two front body mounts it will be stable enough to have a helper lift and move the tires around with a 2x4 or long bar while you watch and listen, not from underneath please. Might have lost a spring rubber, another possibility is a broken body mount or maybe the core support. When you jack the van watch the subframe as well, if the subframe moves independently from the body in any way you'll see it easy.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 17th 2019, 2:08am

Dang it.
My first post and I already look like an idiot with the first keystroke! Brilliant.
Maybe I can talk to a mod about a tiny edit... :roll:

WoodButcher! Thank you, thank you! That's exactly why I came here. That is good solid advice and I appreciate your suggestion of body mounts for stand placement.
I'll let you guys know if I find any slack, play or perhaps an Eeeellusive problem.
I'm working on downloading some pics of my rig. I 've had a few vans, and my Safari is by far my favorite.

Cool site guys and thanks for the welcome!

CarpeDiem
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » August 17th 2019, 3:03am

CarpeDiem wrote:Dang it.
My first post and I already look like an idiot with the first keystroke! Brilliant.
Maybe I can talk to a mod about a tiny edit... :roll:

WoodButcher! Thank you, thank you! That's exactly why I came here. That is good solid advice and I appreciate your suggestion of body mounts for stand placement.
I'll let you guys know if I find any slack, play or perhaps an Eeeellusive problem.
I'm working on downloading some pics of my rig. I 've had a few vans, and my Safari is by far my favorite.

Cool site guys and thanks for the welcome!

CarpeDiem

I thought you were talking to a Mod :lol:

PS - nope, not an English teacher, just an English major ;)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 17th 2019, 4:05am

Hmm, spring rubber. I'm wondering where the spring rubber is and is there more than one rubber per spring... :think:
Heya Leeann, help me out. Is there supposed to be a comma after the first 'is', or is the 'and' sufficient as it is?
Man, I used to have pretty fair grammar.
Not so much anymore. Meh~

So I'm guessing that the 'rubber' is on the ends of the springs? :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Re: Elusive *loud* clacking!

Postby dchan51360 » August 17th 2019, 4:13am

Welcome..

On top of the suggestion of wiggling or moving the wheels while up on jack stands,

Watch carefully for excess movement on the tie rods and control arms. It's possible that there is some extra play in the pivot points and joints there and when ever you extend the suspension enough they are "binding and popping" I just recently had this happening. Every time I rolled over a small speed bump or off a curb, CLUNK CLUNK.. but when weighted, I could go around corners stop start, etc never heard a thing.
dchan51360
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full yearsdchan51360 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD

Postby Leeann_93 » August 17th 2019, 4:17am

Not to worry: most people who post online can’t even separate thoughts into sentences with punctuation. Most people here are well above that, you included.

So: “I’m wondering where the spring rubber is and if there is more than one rubber per spring.”

See, if you write the second part as you have it, you should use a question mark. However, the first part of the sentence doesn’t require one. Think of it as similar to keeping the tense the same.

Otherwise, you could change it to:
“Where is the spring rubber and is there more than one rubber per spring?”

Last option, then I’m done pontificating: make the two thoughts into two sentences.
“Where is the spring rubber located? Is there more than one rubber per spring?”

That’s enough English teachin’ for the year :lol:
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 17th 2019, 4:31am

Mike, I'll be certain to thoroughly recheck the sway. When I had it up on ramps I got a good visual as I felt along it's entirety and could discern no fracture. I'll have to snap some pics so you guys can set eyes on it.
Man, I know Topeka has some treacherous train tracks, but this set in Atchison was ridiculous. One hump had a huge concave trench 3 foot long and a good two inches deep from all the frame and oil pan impacts. Some single gouges were 3/4 in. deep.
They really needed to drop that speed limit to at least 10 mph. Or re-do the tracks!

I've taken my share of woop-de-do's, and that was the first time to endo.
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 17th 2019, 4:47am

Leeann, thanks! That was cool of you. So basically it was a run on sentence, which once divided would make the latter half a query which in essence rendered the comma moot. Did I get that right? :bouncy:

PS. The Past, Present and Future walked into a bar.

It was tense...
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » August 17th 2019, 5:26am

Dchan, good call on the tie rods and control arms.
Just because they looked ok to me doesn't mean they wont have any play.
And that totally makes sense that they wouldn't make a peep under load.
Thanks buddy.
Cheers!
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Postby Leeann_93 » August 17th 2019, 4:12pm

CarpeDiem wrote:Leeann, thanks! That was cool of you. So basically it was a run on sentence, which once divided would make the latter half a query which in essence rendered the comma moot. Did I get that right? :bouncy:

PS. The Past, Present and Future walked into a bar.

It was tense...

Hey, I said I was done pontificating!

So the important part, and the part that applies to both thoughts in the sentence, is "I was wondering". Both thoughts have to make sense with that as the starter, then you can combine them in the same sentence.

Rather like people who say things like "Her and I are going...." Um, nope. Separate them: "She is going... I am going..." Therefore, it combines to "She and I are going..."

Now I am really done pontificating. I swear.

;)
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » September 8th 2019, 4:58am

Leeann_93 wrote:PS - nope, not an English teacher, just an English major ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby Leeann_93 » September 8th 2019, 5:22am

I love Weird Al. His imagination is unsurpassed. That song’s a favorite :D
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » September 8th 2019, 6:30am

On top of each coil spring is a round piece of rubber kinda shaped like the top of the spring but I doubt you will see it its way up in the spring hole on the bottom of the coil spring there is also a piece of rubber it should look like a hose cut in half wrapped around the bottom of each spring. Also check the front chip bumper cover for damage, check the spring itself to see if it broke. You can also check to see if you broke a rubber frame mount which would make it loose and therefore make noise when hitting bumps. Let us know what you found and welcome to the forum, PaPa Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 629
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Astro Pop » September 8th 2019, 6:40am

English is weird but it can be understood through tough thorough thought, though. Just sayin'....three times fast!!!
Another thing to check is the ball joints, just in case. They are also a loaded and unloaded item that takes a lot of stress. Not that I think it is, (coma correct?) but a critical item you don't want to fail while driving. :confused:
Astro Pop
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Astro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full yearsAstro Pop has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Xfirepop
Extra Info: AWD - 5 inch lift

Postby sixsix » September 8th 2019, 7:17pm

What a Fun thread - Kudos again ( or for the 1st time ) go out to the OP.

Leeann - thanks again. As usual, Queen of all she oversees... Van / mechanic / orator / mods skills ...
- grammar specialist, the day job & it's associated skills, wife & husband teamwork, hospital patient.
:blah: :blah:

Astro Pop wrote:English is weird but it can be understood through tough thorough thought, though. ...

Easily the Best Post Sentence For Me All Year. So far - in 1st place for the BPSFMAY Award.

Kind of pronounced, "bips^fmay" ( sounded out like "splits^fmay" ).
This award was previously called, "it took us 10 min to work up the post".

And Pop, did you mean to misspell comma...? cuz'... that's funny in and of itself.

Good day,

Mike

I Love Peaches also & Wolverines and Gophers
sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » September 9th 2019, 2:59am

Leeann_93 wrote:I love Weird Al. His imagination is unsurpassed. That song’s a favorite :D

Same here. :thumbup:

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 109
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby CarpeDiem [OP] » September 10th 2019, 1:34am

OH GOOD GRIEF!
You guys are wrecking me! :lol:
My tummy muscles are cramping!
Wow, between you'se guyz and Leeann, I'm in stitches.

I never post from home, but once AstroWill posted that vid, we had to play Weird Al on the big screen last night. Ended up on an Al binge.
We've seen almost all of his vids, but an hour later we were still finding new ones.
(you really need to know the song that he's parodying for it to be effective though.)

Hey, as far as the Safari is concerned, I should have some answers to my questions here shortly. Instead of buying new stands, I waited until this weekend to borrow my sons.
Just about to put a jack under her.
Greg
Original Poster [OP]
CarpeDiem
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)

Next

Return to Member Introductions

It is currently April 23rd 2021, 12:39pm

Member Introductions Forum
Member IntroductionsHello and welcome to the best and original home for Astro & Safari owners. Please introduce yourself to the community and make yourself at home. Tell us about yourself and post your introductions and welcome messages here.
To create a new topic in Member Introductions, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
neon-eon
in Member Introductions
Views: 141
Comments: 4
Date: Apr 16 '21
Time: 3:54am
» Read last comment
Attached by: