My Disaster Van

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

My Disaster Van

Postby AstroAmbrose [OP] » January 11th 2021, 2:21am

I bought this mean machine some time in July for $800 from the third owner and I’ve been working on it on and off since then. It’s a 1992 vin Z EXT with a camper top and what seems to have been a custom interior, complete with lots of wood, curtains, and some sweet mood lighting. I started off with a tune up including plugs brakes and wires, and by replacing the whole power steering system, the water pump, and the timing cover gasket. I replaced the oil pan and transmission pan gaskets, then spent a couple of months sanding off the old peeling paint and fixing the most major dents in preparation for a $500 two stage coat of mean black paint. I replaced the distributor gasket, but didn’t have the timing marked, and ended up with ping when I put the distributor back in. I spent a couple of months trying to get the noise to stop, first trying to get it in time, then replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys, then the egr valve. When the problem persisted I realized that a previous owner had essentially deleted the entire vacuum system, and I researched and fixed that. When the ping persisted I bought a timing light, and found that I had been out of time. When I put it in time, it continued to misfire (why I had it out of time in the first place). I was stumped for a couple of days, until, running it at night, I noticed a cracked spark plug sparking. With the engine now in perfect running condition, I’m moving on to ac and interior. It seems to never end with this van though; checking out the ac, I found that someone had chopped two rubber lines going to a rear unit. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get the unit back working, but it’s made by acme, and not gl. I can get hard lines from the junkyard for GM rear ac, but I don’t know if they would even be compatible. Does anyone have any advice or parts that would help? I want to end up with the most decked out van I can, and I’m stuck till I solve this.
Attachments
BFEAB251-6888-4388-A93B-615E5C05D9E8.jpeg
Mean af, but I need to get a grill and fog lights from the yard
362109AF-FBEF-43B6-912E-C55C18098737.jpeg
Emblem on the dash. Does this mean it was originally a cargo van?
D1B64F58-E997-467A-87A0-7BC43DCFC512.jpeg
All black looks great, but really demands r12 ac
70F57D6B-1D6C-4616-83A0-1549FB2FA041.jpeg
Gorgeous interior, but needs a steam clean
31696989-781F-4C65-AAD5-29000121A17A.jpeg
9A46F7EA-28E5-455A-98D0-BFCFC9E223AE.jpeg
The chopped rear ac lines used to end on the left by the cruise control servo
45BC2672-E03A-4018-BEAF-37F814248FFB.jpeg
The rear ac unit. Made by acme, has a fan and what I’m guessing is an evaporator and a heater core. Made by acme, but they don’t have a record of it
A3F48504-3FB9-48D3-97AB-E0EE1388E8FC.jpeg
The four lines that were attached to the rear unit. Two lead to the coolant system, two were clipped at the front
Original Poster [OP]
AstroAmbrose
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L conversion van

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: My Disaster Van

Postby tungtide » January 11th 2021, 2:54pm

I would pressure test that coil before I put energy to it. It may have been taken out because it leaked.
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby dcsleeper » January 11th 2021, 5:30pm

I applaud your do-it-ive-ness!
Looking great!

To clean the inside go to the dollar store and get some 'LA's totally awesome cleaner'

It's essentially carpet shampoo (Looks yellow) in a spray bottle. scrub with a brush.
Please update your User Control Panel to include your location!!! it's in the upper right!
Profile | Edit signature

ChevyMaher wrote:If you don't want people saying you suck, which is the truth, stop sucking
dcsleeper
Topics: 20
Alias (AKA): DC
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: I have 2 1AWD 1RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » January 12th 2021, 2:15am

Either the rear lines were leaking or the rear evaporator was leaking - no one chops the lines otherwise. I'd find a set of factory lines for the front that don't have provision for rear AC, or crimp and seal (MIG or TIG weld) the metal part of the rear lines so the front will work properly.

I'm afraid I have no idea about the rear if it isn't factory, and no conversion company used factory rear AC because they bought base cargo models and added their own stuff.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby AstroWill » January 12th 2021, 4:13am

Leeann_93 wrote:I'd find a set of factory lines for the front that don't have provision for rear AC

This is exactly the way I would do it. Never cared for those aftermarket units.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby AstroAmbrose [OP] » January 12th 2021, 12:43pm

Great responses, thanks for the help. I had better go get that compressor tested, assuming it works is would be a little too hopeful, although the heat portion was still properly hooked up and receiving coolant when I disconnected it. It has front only ac lines in it currently, but I really want to deluxe it up with auxiliary hvac, so I got the lines with the connections for rear ac from the junkyard today. If worst comes to worst I’ll buy a new rear system, or even get one from a conversion in the junkyard(there are plenty lol) Good tip on using La’s, that stuff is magic.
Original Poster [OP]
AstroAmbrose
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L conversion van

Postby AlpineVan » January 12th 2021, 8:06pm

If that thing is AWD, I'm mildly jealous. Even if not, conversion Astros are always cool. Welcome to the board.
AlpineVan
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Alpine
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLX AWD

Postby sixsix » January 12th 2021, 10:04pm

AlpineVan wrote:... conversion Astros are always cool.

You OK?

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects??
sixsix
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K