Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

PNW Astro Van Newbie

801 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tungtide 
#1 ·
Hey All,
Portland based. Bought a 2002 Astro AWD Super Clean, 189K for $3400 almost a year ago.
Had to replace the CAT a couple weeks in.
Radiator blew a couple weeks ago, replaced the belt, hoses, $700

Took the back seats out, built out a sliding bed frame.
I've put 6k miles since I bought it, use it to camp and road trips. Drove it down to SF from PDX and back up the coast no problems.

Looking to put a lift and new shocks on it real soon. Any recommendations? Probably going with the 2-5in Journeys Lift Kit. I want to level out the rear as well with helper springs since added weight in the back (Bed frame, storage, and 2 people sleeping)
Once lift is done, hoping to get bigger tires.

Lots of future exterior and interior projects on the horizon.

Thanks!

#2 ·
read the sticky 2" lift thread, fugoonesssakes
can do it yourself for about 100$

larger tires have many drawbacks. choose carefully after you are informed on the subject.

almost anything larger than 235-75-15 will require moving, removing, or cutting body panels.
larger tires are like lowering you drive axle ratios, drastically
you can't see how cool your tires look, while driving.

welcome

#5 ·
Thanks everyone.

Lift is my number one, hopefully next month. Ill replace shocks at the same time.
Then beefier tires.

Bed was built with 4x4s, wanted it thicker and more sturdy. Two adults and a dog. I have no prior experience with build outs. haha. To keep room went with a sliding style with slats. bascilly two seperate frames. 4 in tri fold full size mattress. It's comfy, might add another 1 in topper. Decent storage under.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.