I need help pricing an Astro

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

I need help pricing an Astro

Postby htgardens [OP] » August 27th 2012, 2:25am

It is a 1996 one owner Astro Explorer Conversion, 41,000 original miles, I test drove it today and it drives better than my 2002 Blazer, very clean and straight body, white rear wheel drive..........Clean!!! Help, any ball park figures? Thank you, Joyce
Hello from Oregon :ty:
Original Poster [OP]
htgardens
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: htgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA): Joyce
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Explorer Conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: I need help pricing an Astro

Postby RECox286 » August 27th 2012, 3:47am

If it is on a dealer's lot, more than likely they will ask in excess of $4K. Mileage is very low, but beware it is a CMFI fuel injection system.

Age has more to do with problems than the mileage. I would take it for a presale inspection, which is well worth the money spent. Talk to

the mechanic before doing this to let him/her know what you intend to do, since you will probably need an appointment. Usually it only

takes about an hour or so for the inspection. Hopefully, you know of a shop that you can trust, or one of your friends does. If the inspection

uncovers any really bad things about the truck, then you have a bargaining chip to use against the asking price. Sight unseen, I would probably

bid $2000-2500 and see if that flys. One trick you can use is have CASH in your pocket, in the amount you think might buy the truck, then, as

you are casually negotiating, just happen to pull the wad out of your pocket, and start unconciously flipping thru the bills. The buyer will see

green, and absolutely want to do the same thing. It has worked for me several times ! If it falls thru, don't get upset, there are still plenty of

good trucks around.

Good luck and good hunting

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby htgardens [OP] » August 27th 2012, 3:59am

It was listed at 5500.00, I originally bid 4000.00 and walked away, it was gone off craigslist, and I was gone on vacation, so I forgot about it for two weeks. The daughter of the owner said her mom turned down 4800.00 and wanted her to call me back. She said I could have it for 2500.00. She wanted me to have it beacuse she was a nurse, and I was looking for a van that when I did Home health Nursing, I could pull over and sleep if I broke down due to weather in the winter, she insisted I have it.
I want to thank you for your reply, my brother who is a mechanic saw it and said, if your not buying I am, my mechanic drove it, and said it was a lot of van for the money. I have a blazer that is well cared for, so I think I'll mjust park it and drive the astro. It all power window and fold down seat, tv and vcr that needs to be updated, she really took good care of it until she got sick, she bought it off the Chevy lot in 97 for 26,000 dollars. Thank you again, your quote was much needed to help me figure out if I was gonna buy this van, is it true these van can go 200,000 miles? Thank you again Uncle Bob, Joyce
Original Poster [OP]
htgardens
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: htgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full yearshtgardens has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Big_kid » August 27th 2012, 5:52am

These vans easily go 200K and beyond. 41K on the odometer and you got it for $2500? WITHOUT a gun?! Congrats!

Welcome aboard!
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby htgardens [OP] » August 27th 2012, 1:59pm

I was reading the reviews on Kelly Blue Book lastnight, one owner had up to 400,000 miles on their Astro, wow! I pick it up today, I will post pictures soon. It's not a raised roof, but it sure is nice inside and out. I want to thank you guys for responding, I lost my dad last year, he was my rock, and I making decision on your own is tough, Thanks to this site and the love you guys have for these vans, has helped tremendously. My heart is full. Thanks Kid
Original Poster [OP]
htgardens
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby Lumpy » August 27th 2012, 2:14pm

Pics! We want pics!

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby RECox286 » August 27th 2012, 2:28pm

True ! It is not uncommon for these vans to go the distance. My Dailey Driver Work Truck has 320k mi on the original engine. It smokes on start up,

but so would you if you were as old in truck years. (it's a 93, with a TBI injection system). The real trick is to do oil changes on a regular basis,

with the same type oil all the time (don't switch brands, or flavors.) Our fleet gets oil and filter every 5k, with Valvoline part 141. You chose your

poison, then stick with it.

Good luck, and Keep truck'n.

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby Leeann_93 » September 4th 2012, 2:10am

Welcome and nice find!

My '99 has 275,000 and my '02 has 200,000 miles. They can run well over 300,000 with regular maintenance.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby htgardens [OP] » September 6th 2012, 3:16am

That's comforting to know. When I was looking on Autotrader, I was shocked to see how many were posted with such high milage, thank you for responding. Joyce
Original Poster [OP]
htgardens
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby RECox286 » September 6th 2012, 3:51am

No problem at all, Joyce. Hope you hang around once you get your new truck. Great place to pick brains when it comes time for trouble shooting

and fixing information. (BTW: Welcome to the fold.)

(Actually I only stick around here to meet greasy women. Ha !)

Uncle Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)