New to the forum

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

New to the forum

Postby TECH45 [OP] » August 27th 2012, 3:07am

Hi, folks! My name is John Halstead. I am the owner/operator of Hayes Electronics in Sparta, TN. I had been using my old 1986 Nissan Extended Cab pickup as a service vehicle for the past 4 years but it was getting on up in years and miles, even for a NAP-Z engine. Needed something I could haul TV's in when it's raining, anyways. I had heard a lot about the 4.3 L V6 and actually 'helped' a mechanic friend of mine in VA rebuild his 89 a few years back (by 'help', I mean hand tools to him ;) ). A good friend in Barbourville, KY has a 2000 Astro that he uses as a service van for his TV repair shop and he loves it. So, I found me a 2000 Astro LS with the 4.3 V6. It was a Bunny Bread corporate fleet vehicle and as such, I am fairly certain it was well maintained. Odometer says 350K but the guy who bought it from Bunny Bread told me they said they had motor and tranny rebuilt at 280K (and visual inspection looks like major work was done to it in the not too distant past). Now, I am an electronics technician by trade, but I grew up in a garage and dabble in everything from auto mechanics to woodworking to welding and anything in between, so I'm well acquainted with getting greasy and turning bolts. But, I have never owned a van or 'really' worked on one. I know about some of the common faults with these Astros/Safaris but, as with everything in life, one never knows what's gonna happen next. I am hoping that the fine folks of this forum will be able to offer advice on problems I may run in to and in turn, I hope to be able to assist with things I do know about. Thanks for having me! :handgestures-thumbup:
Attachments
DSCN0962.JPG
DSCN0964.JPG
Hayes Electronics
960 Golden Herren Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
John Halstead - Owner/Operator
"When Service Counts, Count On Us!
Original Poster [OP]
TECH45
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): John Halstead
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: New to the forum

Postby RECox286 » August 27th 2012, 4:06am

Have the front suspension and steering parts looked at very carefully. Also be prepared for fuel pump failure, unless that was changed

in the near past. Other than that, you probably have a nugget.

Keep on truck'n

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby Big_kid » August 27th 2012, 5:49am

Looks and sounds like a good van!
Welcome aboard
:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby ccookie66 » August 27th 2012, 6:47am

Welcome! Thats a nice looking van! :rockon:
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
ccookie66
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 139
Alias (AKA): Cameron
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 TBI Shorty

Postby chevymaherchevymaher is online! » August 27th 2012, 6:49am

Welcome.
chevymaherchevymaher is online!
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby TECH45 [OP] » August 27th 2012, 1:13pm

Thanks, guys! I paid 2k for it. Did some shakedown on highway and on back roads. Ran quiet and tight except for the side mirrors creating a whistling noise in the wind that I find slightly annoying. Observations so far are that the p/s pump leaks somewhere around the housing (not the lines). Drained the pump resevior and refilled with Lucas p/s stop leak (good stuff!) and running it a while to see how it does. Also notice a transmission fluid leak around the pan,... looks like when the transmission wos last serviced they possibly reused the old gasket, IDK. Drips on to the exhaust pipe where it crosses under the tranny/bell housing area. Fan only works on high, but I know what that problem is and am working on a cheap fix that will hold up (more on that later). Gonna have to replace the power mirror switch. AC needs charging (I think), but I'll worry about that before next summer. Gonna need a passenger side tail light housing (I have it 'fixed' temporarily,... leaking bad as a result of a slight hit). I know the fuel pump is going to be an issue at some point. Have not driven it in the rain to see if it starts missing/sputtering yet,.... waiting for Isaac remnants to get here for that. I'll post on all of the above in the appropriate boards. Gotta get to work,.... It's the van's first official day on the job,...... running about 150 miles today in 4 counties. Fingers crossed!
Hayes Electronics
960 Golden Herren Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
Original Poster [OP]
TECH45
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: TECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full yearsTECH45 has been a member for 8 full years

Postby Lumpy » August 27th 2012, 2:10pm

Cup holder on the roof. That's my kind of van... :rockon:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Jasen » August 27th 2012, 2:32pm

Welcome to A/S
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby ccookie66 » August 27th 2012, 2:53pm

Lumpy wrote:Cup holder on the roof. That's my kind of van... :rockon:

Lump

A cup hol.....oh I thought that was a light! One of those orange flashy ones. Thats actually a good idea, to hold a beer while you work on the van. Nice! :thumbup:
The Astro is always a turn key away from adventure.
ccookie66
Years of Membership: ccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full yearsccookie66 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 139
Alias (AKA): Cameron
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 TBI Shorty

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » August 27th 2012, 5:06pm

Welcome
1985 Pro Street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & upgraded to
1998 Pro Street Chevy Astro: Tubbed w/ 33x22 rear tires, 350 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE, GEARHEAD 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street

Postby Ragenme » August 27th 2012, 7:48pm

Welcome! Looks like a nice van. These are great to work out of. I spent 23 years in the newspaper business and astros and safari's is all you see at the loading dock.
ragenme If you can't fix it with a hammer then its probably a electrical problem!
Ragenme
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Ragenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full yearsRagenme has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 16
Alias (AKA): Ragenme
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: SLX 4.3 V6 RWD

Postby TECH45 [OP] » August 28th 2012, 12:39pm

Yeah,.... that's a beer can koozie on the roof. If you'll notice, it says "Tim's TV". That's my buddy in Kentucky who also has a 2000 Astro.

Van did very well yesterday. P/S pump barely leaked (thanks you, Lucas P/S Fluid Stop Leak) on a 150 mile route but the transmission fluid IS leaking. Not much, but plenty to be concerned about. Other than that, zero issues. :banana:
Hayes Electronics
960 Golden Herren Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
Original Poster [OP]
TECH45
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby 94 Van Guy » August 28th 2012, 2:01pm

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking van.

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby TECH45 [OP] » September 2nd 2012, 10:58pm

Got the tranny leak stopped and the blower working on 2 speeds. Suspension lubed and tranny fluid/filter and oil/filter changed. Now working on p/s pump leak (on pump housing) and leak around dutch doors. I am getting there. I am finding out real fast that this forum is a valuable asset. Thanks to all!
Hayes Electronics
960 Golden Herren Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
Original Poster [OP]
TECH45
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby Rolling_Rock » September 2nd 2012, 11:28pm

TECH45 --

For your business image I'd reccomend gitting RID of those front foggy/yellowed plastic turn signal lenses. Brand NEW ones are as cheap as $28 shipped - and will make your van 'appear' to be MUCH newer than a 2000 van...

Check out how clean and fresh the front below looks due to the new lights -- not only will you look better, but it will give you more business confidence showing up to your clients location with a 'new looking' van... other than that I think your van is BOSS

Rolling_Rock
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Rolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full yearsRolling_Rock has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 26
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: cargo version

Postby RECox286 » September 3rd 2012, 12:14am

You are probably not interested in setting up for towing, however, it is a given that if you install a tranny cooler in front of and

in addition to the one that is in the radiator, the transmission will give you longer service. The lower the fluid temp (to a point)

the longer the survival rate.

Uncle Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby WoodButcher » September 3rd 2012, 1:20am

A strip of black tape onthe mirror hinge. I get that same whistle.
Welcome to the rooms forum! :thumbup:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Leeann_93 » September 4th 2012, 1:56am

Welcome!
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby TECH45 [OP] » September 4th 2012, 1:47pm

Thanks for the welcomes and thanks for the tips, folks!
Hayes Electronics
960 Golden Herren Rd.
Sparta, TN 38583
Original Poster [OP]
TECH45
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)