found a '99 Safari

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

found a '99 Safari

Postby Roadcat01 [OP] » February 8th 2009, 5:39pm

Newbie here. Found a '99 Safari pax van that looks good so far. Any info you guys (and gals) can give for me to look at specifically? I'm getting this van to get my mom around to her doctors appointments, as my Pathfinder just ain't making it. Thanks. Kevin :2:
Original Poster [OP]
Roadcat01
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Roadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: found a '99 Safari

Postby Big_kid » February 9th 2009, 4:20am

Welcome aboard!
Check that the wipers work reliably, the circuit board is known to develop cracks from poor solder connections. (Minor fix to resolder)

Check the rear outside door handle for cracking, most of the ones we had in our fleet at work broke eventually. (We're in and out of them constantly- it was easy to replace)

Check that the gas gauge works (As with any used car)

I'm sure others will think of things I've forgotten.

:chevy:
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Matrixx » February 9th 2009, 5:10am

Hi Roadcat01
Welcome aboard. As Big_kid has mentioned, check all the switches to make sure they work. How many miles on it?

Things to check:

-Rust is the first an foremost thing to check out carefully here, if it's in bad shape and structure points appear to be affected, then their is no point going any further with it. Their are a lot of vehicles in very good shape at a good price right now.

-More features the better but not mandatory.

-Check for oil and seal leaks under the vehicle.

-Make sure all lights work fine when turned on.

-Check the oil dipstick (pull it out) and have a look at the color of the oil. Smell it for any signs of a burnt, gas smell to it (a good indicator of a worn out engine).

-Do the same to the transmission dipstick (pull it out and check the color, smell it for any signs of a burnt odor to it).

-Ask if the Intake Manifold Gasket has been replaced (factory recall now, but with a time limit to it and that year has exceeded it (5 yrs.)). This is an important one and costly if it hasn't been done yet.

-Ask if the fuel injection system has been upgraded, Important if it's running or idling rough. I personally never had any problems with my injection system for 12 years and 522,000 kilometers until I replaced the motor itself. I run 92 octane and have for 10 yrs now, this may be why. Some others have had problems with the injection system and this can be costly if it needs replacing.

-Fuel pumps are expensive with that year to replace. The usual replacement period is 120,000 to 140,000 kilometers for the factory installed one. The pump "usually" gives off a howling sound when they need replacing (something to listen for) while the van is running/idling.

-Idler Arms are a known problem with these vans, but easy and relatively cheap to replace.

Things to check while test driving:

-Smooth idle
-Smooth shifts
-No vibrations at any speed
-No play in the steering (or a tendency to wonder from side to side while driving).
-Gauges all work
-No excessive roll when taking corners
-No excessive bounce when taking bumps
-Good braking
-No SES light

Their are places that do inspections for a small fee. This might be a good idea to have one done if you can. Overall, the vans are Tough, Powerful, and Reliable, lots of room and great visibility. The things I mentioned here isn't to discourage you from buying the van, but to just to make you aware of the things that need to be upgraded or checked for a long and happy relationship with it (if you buy it).

I'm sure others will chime in if they can. Any more questions, just fire away. Again, Welcome aboard.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » February 9th 2009, 11:09am

Howdy,
welcome to the site.

What is the price for the van?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Roadcat01 [OP] » February 10th 2009, 10:00pm

van has 96k miles on it, body looks good, as does glass. Found a place here that will look at it for me (recommended by b-in-law), but appreciate all input (gives me a list for the checkup). If this works out, looking forward to looking for ideas on this site. If this doesn't go, will still find a safari somewhere around tucson.
Original Poster [OP]
Roadcat01
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Roadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full yearsRoadcat01 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Postby Matrixx » February 11th 2009, 2:15am

Hi Roadcat01
Thanks for the update, and let us know how things went,Thanks.:)
96-GMC Safari - Rwd - Original Transmission - Exhaust - Air Cared - 3.73 Limited Slip Rear End - Motor Replaced - 91 octane (Chevron) for the last 14 years - MFI Upgrade - 640,000 Kilometers.
Matrixx
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Matrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full yearsMatrixx has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):