Hi I finally joined after 3 years of reading Opps

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Hi I finally joined after 3 years of reading Opps

Postby G's MC safari [OP] » August 24th 2013, 11:24pm

Hi everyone

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for a the info I got to help me upgrade my 2000safari.

Currently I am just starting my build. I am putting a 5.7 vortec motor in. It is out of a 99 Tahoe and being rebuilt.
not cuz it needed it I figured do it while its out that way if it needed any work it's better out then in. I got the whole truck for $800.00 and it runs great. its just a little bent up. if any one have the info about the motor mount part number for the swap that would be helpful. I am using the e-fan system and a performance chip.

Then i'm doing a brake upgrade with ssbc front caliper upgrade and drum to disc conversion kit. and next rims and rubber i'm going with 17x9 with 235/55/17. (if anyone has comments on this let me know ok please)

next i'm going to put 4 altenators to run my 4 XS d6500 batteries to power my $10,000.00 ARC auto sound system. :twisted: watch out sound contests i'm coming lol (any comments on this would be greatly appreciated)

next I plan to put a full air bag ride system on it with a moog suspension upgrade. I am not really wanting to lift or lower it. seeing and the airbags will do it for me. (any comments will be helpful as well).

then doing allot of body, paint and interior upgrades but I would rather show you the let the cat out of the bag. but i'm doing some stuff I have never seen any safari or astro have on them so i'll send in pics as it's being done and after I am done and win a few best of shows. HOPEFULLY :rockon:

I have loved these vans since they have come out and I got a great deal on mine cuz the guy I got it from didn't know how to work on it. So I made out like a bandit. I only paid $1800.00 for it 6 years ago.

I could barely get the van to do 65 and it ran like crap. but my brother that retired from the chevy truck plant in flint mich, told me to change the intake manifold gasket and right after I did it roast the tires off. WOW the intake gasket is the biggest engineering bo bo's ever made but they run great and can have over 300,000 miles on them before a over haul.

I have been holding off on this build for about 3 years and I finally get to go all out. I wanted to do it right and not fight with all the unknowns. THANKS to all off you for the info I've gotten so far.

it runs great even after 164,000 miles. but I want to tow with it and follow the nascar races for a year and take it to all kinds of car shows. That's why I decided to go with the 5.7 and all the upgrades.

Thanks for having me I hope I can help as many people that have helped me here. G
Original Poster [OP]
G's MC safari
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: G's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full yearsG's MC safari has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): none
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7 vortec upgrade

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Hi I finally joined after 3 years of reading Opps

Postby 94 Van Guy » August 25th 2013, 10:06pm

Welcome to the forum, hope you have an easy time with all of your upgrades. It should be a nice ride when you get it finished. Don't forget the pics.

Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby redfury » August 27th 2013, 12:42am

With 4 alternators, where are you going to put the A/C compressor? Ha ha! Heck, where are you going to put 3 and 4?! That's the most interesting part of this build to me personally.

Are you going to upgrade to the 411PCM? That will help tidy up the E Fan installation as it will only require 2 wires extra from the solenoids instead of having to use a control box, though manual control to run the fan(s) might be helpful when idling at shows for extended periods at a time with the load those alternators are going to put on it.

Since you are going all out on this, perhaps you could go crazy and live out my dream of building a shaker style hood/air cleaner to replace the crappy cone filter a lot of us V8 guys are stuck with. :D
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » November 2nd 2013, 5:47pm

Welcome
1985 Pro Street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & upgraded to
1998 Pro Street Chevy Astro: Tubbed w/ 33x22 rear tires, 350 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE, GEARHEAD 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street