Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Old member Returning...

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
Hey Guys, been gone for a while. Never re-upped when the format changed. If anyone is here from the old forum you'll remember my BadAst project. It's still waiting for me to work on it. A job change in 2006 has had me working mega overtime which left no time for my projects. The money is good and I have been picking up tools and equipment (and a couple of Firebirds and a new Daily Driver Astro).
Anyway it's good to be back and I have a few questions on the new Astro to ask.
Mark S.

#6 ·
Here is my '92 'stro. The "Road Warrior"... It's not pretty but it sure does run good.
This first pic is from a couple of years ago before the running boards kinda fell off...

This one is from this weekend. With 288K on it it still does 80-85 on the e-way every day. I drive it 140 miles average round trip to work and back.

This is the 2004 I just bought last week to replace the old dude. !09K on this one and a real good deal. The body has a few blems but I've already started fixing some of those. The interior needs some help also. Missing radio knobs, split armrests and a couple of abused headrests. It's not bad though for what I paid and the dealer did fix a ton of stuff before I picked it up. New wiper motor, both front door lock actuators, wheel speed sensors and a new MAF sensor.
If you look at the hood close you can see the "bullit hole" on the pass side... Serious.

If anyone has some extra radio knobs or a rear cargo net they don't need holler back.
Thanks for looking
Mark

#8 ·
Just a little update on the '04...
Well, the white Astro is toast. My wife got re-ended in Corunna yesterday. Hit by a guy not paying attention to traffic. She is doing alright, shaken, but not stirred. A little achy though. I took her to the Dr. yesterday afternoon and she got some big motrins and a muscle relaxer. She will be fine.
Not so for the 'Stro though... The adjuster just totaled it. Pushed the rear bumper in under the floor, buckled the floor and mashed both rear doors. The right side quarter is all wrinkled and the slider door jamb is jacked bad enough the door doesn't close right... Hit by an HHR doing about 45... HARD hit and it will cost more to fix then the van is worth... Anyway, Net's okay and that is what really matters...
Just got the payout numbers from the insurance co. I can buy the van back for about 900 bucks. I will do that and then work on having it fixed. Will still put a little over 4K in my pocket so I will have the money for the parts I'll need. A buddy has a little junkyard just down the road. He thinks we can hook the van up to his rollback and pull most of the wrinkles out. He also has one with a good rear bumper so we'll scavange that too...
Lots to do...
Mark

#9 ·
astroracer said:
Just a little update on the '04...
Well, the white Astro is toast. My wife got re-ended in Corunna yesterday. Hit by a guy not paying attention to traffic. She is doing alright, shaken, but not stirred. A little achy though. I took her to the Dr. yesterday afternoon and she got some big motrins and a muscle relaxer. She will be fine.
Not so for the 'Stro though... The adjuster just totaled it. Pushed the rear bumper in under the floor, buckled the floor and mashed both rear doors. The right side quarter is all wrinkled and the slider door jamb is jacked bad enough the door doesn't close right... Hit by an HHR doing about 45... HARD hit and it will cost more to fix then the van is worth... Anyway, Net's okay and that is what really matters...
Just got the payout numbers from the insurance co. I can buy the van back for about 900 bucks. I will do that and then work on having it fixed. Will still put a little over 4K in my pocket so I will have the money for the parts I'll need. A buddy has a little junkyard just down the road. He thinks we can hook the van up to his rollback and pull most of the wrinkles out. He also has one with a good rear bumper so we'll scavange that too...
Lots to do...
Mark
Glad that your wife wasn't hurt.

Also glad that you will be fixing the van. :D Love to hear that.

#10 ·
Thanks! She is sore but she'll be fine.
I'll get the van servicable. It won't be perfect but it will look and work fine. I just got prices on a couple of doors. 200 bucks. I can probably have it back on the road for less then 400...

#13 ·
Thanks guys! She's okay, just went to get her hair done. I hope that goes well. :)
Here are a few pics of the damage. It looks worse then it is.

The bumper got rolled under and the floor is dinkled up but, pulling the bumper out will probably pull 95% of the floor back into shape.

It doesn't look like the door hinges were hit to hard so I think this is do-able.
Inside, you can see the bend in the floor. The shadow of the scraper shows it clearly. I think most of this will come out with the bumper pull...

The buyback is already in process so I'll be out gathering parts next week...
mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.