Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Bought an '03 Safari Last Night!

960 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ProStreet_LS1 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My band just replaced our tour van with a 2003 Safari. Our old van was an '86 Chevy G30 which served us well, but we're definitely looking forward to the nice bump in MPG :D

It's got about 183,000 on the odometer and appears to be in great running shape. It needs a new driver door handle (which from what I read will probably be a recurring event) and a couple things fixed in the interior, but we're pretty happy with it! I haven't had time to take good pics of my own, but here are the ones the seller posted in the listing:

#2 ·
Welcome.
No door handles last forever "IF" Linkages are greased and work properly.

If the door is frozen shut don't jerk on the door handle. Basic common sense stuff.
Mine all lasted 150 thousand miles at least and died because somebody hit the van.
Rear door was just mal adjusted and I kept jerking on it. If it doesn't pop open with a gentle click then you need to do some maintenance. Adjusted the linkages there and door works like a caddy now.

#3 ·
Hi and welcome to the forum! The handle thing is kind of a cost of ownership thing with these vans. Keep all your "broken" handles; amazing what you can fix sometimes or Frankenstein one useable handle out of 2 or 3 busted ones.
Nice, clean, white canvas....putting your band's logo/name on there, maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.