Hello from PA

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

Hello from PA

Postby cobra2411 [OP] » August 24th 2015, 2:24am

Hello from the great state of PA!

I'm a car addict. Not I didn't say recovering addict... :D It's so bad I bought my own tow truck... :)

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding an Astro van or two to my collection of mostly Ford trucks. I don't have any brand favorites, so no Chevy vs Ford arguments here. They all have their good and bad products. I usually stick with what I know and that's largely 80's and 90's Ford trucks and Dodge K based cars.

My main use will be as a work van. I have a small heating and air conditioning business and am tired of working out of a pickup. I think I want to stay 96+, which I guess would be the second gen stuff. I've also read that around 03 there were some suspension changes and bigger brakes.

I guess I'll ask my general questions here: First, does much exchange from the first to second generation? Are there any common, must look at area's when looking at a new van and is is possible to convert a RWD to AWD? Those are the easy, general questions. I plan on lurking around and seeing what I can find.

David
-=David=-
Original Poster [OP]
cobra2411
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • hello from central america!!
    by vanboy » July 11th 2020, 2:03pm in Member Introductions
    0 Replies
    Last post by vanboy View the latest post
    July 11th 2020, 2:03pm
  • Hello from Bend, OR
    by Lowcountry » July 16th 2020, 2:44am in Member Introductions
    11 Replies
    Last post by sixsixsixsix is online! View the latest post
    July 17th 2020, 5:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 4th 2020, 2:27am

Re: Hello from PA

Postby Astrofarian » August 24th 2015, 4:37pm

Welcome, David! Anything is possible; I think maybe your questions need to be more specific? Sounds like you know what you're doing and know what you want. An A/S van has been the home office for many mobile service tech's in a variety of trades. They're like a shirt pocket....great for whatever fits in them!
See you in the forum.
-Mike-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby WoodButcher » August 25th 2015, 5:01am

Welcome!
not much swaps generations.
Glad you got by the brand arguments, those can be tough if your alone in the shop. I can't figure it, I always seem to lose no matter which side I choose so I try to keep it to a spirited discussion and not argue.
Mom always said it was o.k. to talk to yourself,
fine to answer back too,
just watch out for arguments,
you can't win...
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby George Jetson » August 25th 2015, 11:26am

Hello Cobra, welcome to the show. I'm new as well but I have one AWD and one RWD and I've driven across the mountains of Pa a couple times to Penn State College Park, while it was snowing and you should seriously consider the AWD Astro...IMO, especially as a everyday vehicle. The 111" wheel base 2003 to 2005 would do you nicely, again, just my opinion here.
Wally from Virginia
#1 2000 AWD Astro V6
#2 2003 RWD Astro V6
George Jetson
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: George Jetson has been a member for 5 full yearsGeorge Jetson has been a member for 5 full yearsGeorge Jetson has been a member for 5 full yearsGeorge Jetson has been a member for 5 full yearsGeorge Jetson has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby markmitch » August 25th 2015, 3:04pm

it would be pretty much pointless to convert a read drive to AWD when you can just buy an AWD van. unless you had a totaled AWD to use for parts and rebuilt it all prior to the swap.front frame and all the AWD stuff would be a swap in for the rear drive front frame but then you have all the electrical, and would have to re attach brakes and exhaust and bleed the stuff. By the way welcome to the forum, Papa Mark -Mainah living in California
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 615
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby cobra2411 [OP] » August 26th 2015, 2:57am

AWD is definitely on the list. I've driven RWD's here in the snow and snow tires make a huge difference. However, I'm sure AWD will be better.

I was wondering about an AWD swap if I found a good donor and a nice RWD van. Is there much electrical that's different? Or is it just the mechanical swap of the subframe, trans and transfer case?
-=David=-
Original Poster [OP]
cobra2411
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Fueling (3/8 tank)
Years of Membership: cobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full yearscobra2411 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA):