My Introduction

Forum rules
Please do not post support requests in the new members lounge! This forum is for new member introductions and assistance only. Please post other topics in their appropriate areas so they stay categorized.

My Introduction

Postby lyteseker [OP] » November 6th 2015, 6:11pm

Hello Members, My name is Robert. I'm from Porterville, CA. I came across this site looking for info on my rear end gearing, and decided to join. I've already found some useful information about the ABS light issue, so more luck for me.

As you can see by my signature, I have done a few things to my astro already. It's a work in progress, as it is also my daily driver. But, I'd like to give you some background on it.

Firstly, My dad bought this new in 1996 and it was his baby. He kept in garage, washed and cleaned it weekly, made sure that fluids were always up and changed regularly. He drove it for years until, sadly, in 2004, he passed after a long fight with cancer. So, in 2004, I was willed this van. Believe me, it was not my first choice of vehicle, being a import tuner driver, but this is how life turned out.

This being said, It sat under a tarp in my backyard for over a year until I finally sold it to my ex-wife. It was in excellent condition at that time, but in just 8 months of her ownership, she and her friends damaged it so much as to blow the engine, hit several objects, tried to jack it up on the body, and broke several systems including both front windows motors. Needless to say, It became mine again. So, again it sat under a tarp for another year before I decided to fix it up to working condition.

So, I found a J/Y engine out of a 95, tore it down and rebuilt it from the ground up. punched it 20 over, new pistons, bearings, rods and rings, had the crank peened and polished, all new bolts and nuts, lightly went over the heads (I wouldn't call it stage one porting/polishing), and replaced every other part and sensor. I painted the engine matte white. It looks pretty good when clean.

I pulled a nice sound system out of another car and installed into this. Hence, the 1500 watt stereo. and I've been going back to different systems and repairing them as I can afford the money and time. So, far, the brakes are all redone, the AC is all new (but the environmental controls failed shortly afterwords), the cooling system, emission, tranny and tires/rims are all done. That leaves the suspension, steering, rear-end, and fuel left to complete. the interior/exterior will be last things I do. That way, I can have the van as a memorial to my dad.

So, that's the story of my project Astro. It looks like the millennium falcon, but she's got it where it counts. So, that's for reading my post, and let me know if you have any suggestions as to specific parts i should be looking at or using. I did find a nice disc brake conversion kit for the rear-end I'm thinking of doing... :)
!996 Astro LS RWD, Custom 4.3, stage 2 tranny, 1500 watts with 2 subs and 10 speakers, 17" off road rims on 255/55R17 Adavantage T/As
Original Poster [OP]
lyteseker
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Help me buy my first Astro!!!
    by mgoudreau90 » April 29th 2020, 4:05pm in Member Introductions
    21 Replies
    Last post by Astrofarian View the latest post
    May 2nd 2020, 5:17am
  • Upgrading my van situation
    by mathewnelson » August 10th 2020, 6:10am in Member Introductions
    20 Replies
    Last post by WoodButcher View the latest post
    September 3rd 2020, 5:59pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 21st 2020, 2:17pm

Re: My Introduction

Postby Lumpy » November 6th 2015, 7:11pm

Perhaps we could see some, how do you say, Picktoors?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sixsix » November 6th 2015, 7:54pm

Welcome from Northern Kentucky / Greater Cincinnati. Your Stereo makes me Jealous.

Hope you enjoy your Stay - Come back soon.

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... “Everything needs to change except the asshole culture and stupid way of life of the avg. antifa, BLM follower - slobs, cowards, killers w/o any thought that they, IN FACT, are now the Racists.”

sixsix
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby Astrofarian » November 6th 2015, 10:46pm

Hi and welcome....96's are the first REAL Gen II's. Kinda unique because of that fact. Hope you get to keep it; it doesn't seem to like it when you let go of it!
-Mike-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby Leeann_93 » November 7th 2015, 12:31am

Welcome. Did the guys ask for pictures?
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby lyteseker [OP] » November 7th 2015, 6:34pm

I posted up some pictures. Nothing fancy.
!996 Astro LS RWD, Custom 4.3, stage 2 tranny, 1500 watts with 2 subs and 10 speakers, 17" off road rims on 255/55R17 Adavantage T/As
Original Poster [OP]
lyteseker
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: lyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full yearslyteseker has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby WoodButcher » November 9th 2015, 5:43am

Welcome aboard Robert.
While a minivan may not be your first choice these do grow on you. I think that van looks pretty good, like to see a full daylight pic though.
Don't know if a disc kit will help for performance but good suspension will. Poly bushings everywhere, best shocks you can find, rear sway bar and you'll find they handle pretty good.
The ride will suffer, you will likely need to locate and fix rattles most normal people never knew could exist. I'm not digging at you about the stereo you have, (my kid gave me a setup that was built to rattle windows) but the rattles are the same. Cross members in the roof and walls separate from the body panels and make an awful racket. I intend to rehash the interior anyway so at some point I'll use a seam sealer / epoxy on all the ribs and sound deadener and insulation on all the panels.

Good stuff so far, hope to see more.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD