2003-2005 rear sway bar help (brake line problem)

2003-2005 rear sway bar help (brake line problem)

Postby vanderbeek [OP] » July 14th 2017, 5:11pm

Hello everyone!

I purchased the Hellwig rear sway bar for my 2004 lifted Astro, and in trying to follow the instructions (which are VERY poorly documented) it shows that the Ubolts can go under the brake lines to not interfere or rub on them. However, on my 2004 there doesn't seem to be a way to do that, it looks like i can only mount the U-bolts so they are right against the brake lines. My thought is that the switch to rear disc brakes in 2003-2005 could mean the brake lines are mounted differently from previous models. Does anyone else have a 2003-2005 model that they've solved this problem for? Here is a pic below of how i tried to install it (but took off immediately).

PS, absolutely LOVING my lifted AWD Astro. Took it on my first camping trip with the wife and at first she was skeptical of the van, now she is absolutely in love with what it can do!

thanks!
Mac
Attachments
IMG_0544.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
vanderbeek
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: vanderbeek has been a member for 3 full yearsvanderbeek has been a member for 3 full yearsvanderbeek has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): vanderbeek
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD Passenger

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 2003-2005 rear sway bar help (brake line problem)

Postby TurnNburn » July 14th 2017, 5:30pm

I did not like the idea of the brake line being stuck in between the axle and the u-bolt, so I bent my brake lines (gently) away from the axle and put it on the outside of the u-bolt. Then used some appropriately sized rubber hose, cut it down the middle and zip tied it onto the brake line to keep the rubbing to a minimum.

Also, kind of tricky to see in the picture due to the angle, but it looks like your mounts are really close to the center of the axle. I think you should move that mount further out towards the end of the sway bar to improve the leverage of the bar.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby vanderbeek [OP] » July 14th 2017, 7:48pm

Interesting, do you have any pictures you could snap? Its hard to see in my picture (sorry) but the brake line on my axle is very close to the axle tube. Maybe it has to do with the switch to disc brakes for 03-05 axles.

I'll take another look at my axle to see if I could gently bend the brake line, and I'll see if i can move the bar mount closer to the wheel as per your advice.

thanks!
Original Poster [OP]
vanderbeek
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: vanderbeek has been a member for 3 full yearsvanderbeek has been a member for 3 full yearsvanderbeek has been a member for 3 full years

Postby TurnNburn » July 14th 2017, 8:00pm

Here is what I was talking about routing behind the u bolt.

Of course this from a terrible point of view so that you cant see the u bolt on this side, but you can see how far over my mount is
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby vanderbeek [OP] » July 14th 2017, 10:39pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to post pictures, much appreciated. I'll try it your way and report back.

Have a great weekend!
Original Poster [OP]
vanderbeek
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)