u-bolt plate question

u-bolt plate question

Postby doogaloo [OP] » August 16th 2019, 12:32pm

Planning on replacing leaf springs with HD leaf this week end. Using U-bolts and plate for mounting as in picture. Was wondering if there is a concern with plate hitting frame. I have a 2" lift on van. Thanks in advance for response.
Attachments
top_plate.jpg
courtesy of 1lowcab
Original Poster [OP]
doogaloo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: u-bolt plate question

Postby Coaster » August 16th 2019, 2:18pm

with 2" lift and 1195HD its possible but not likely in normal daily driver use. off roading yes. you could fabricate an additional bump stop or raise your existing ones if you are concerned.

i have a 2" lift and the 1195HD but still use the clamshells. the leafs are fairly stout, i think you would have to get pretty wild to hit the frame but you could do it.
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

Postby doogaloo [OP] » August 19th 2019, 5:47pm

Has anyone else used the clam shells with 3+1HD leaf springs?
Original Poster [OP]
doogaloo
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » August 19th 2019, 5:50pm

I have the 1195HDs on my Van with clam shells they don't sit flush but you can use fender shims if you want. I have ran mine for years with no problems.
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby tungtide » August 19th 2019, 8:14pm

just put new HD S-10 spring on my 1999. At first the clam shells would not close. Then I got tough and fired up my big compressor and my air tools. I figured they were either going to close or break. I have spare sets so no issue if it broke. The air tools brought them down nicely. I have not yet been on the road and wont be for quite some time, but it all looks well. I weigh over two hundred pounds and could not do it with 1/2 inch breaker bar and a cheater. Not to mention I did not want to pull the rig off the lift. The u bolts you have pictured look GREAT. I'm fairly certain you will never bottom them out. If you can raise the bumpstops
Ken
tungtide
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: tungtide has been a member for 2 full yearstungtide has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA): tungtide
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 2002 LT AWD 1999 LS

Postby doogaloo [OP] » August 20th 2019, 1:18pm

HAs anyone else used the top plate? Getting this done today. Please let me know if there are issues!
Original Poster [OP]
doogaloo
Alias (AKA):

Postby MiniAlt » August 22nd 2019, 6:45pm

I converted mine using the HD springs. I haven’t really gotten on it to know whether it’s going to hit or not. But I did put 2” spaces under the bump stops. My buddy’s an amazing welder, if it does hit he offered to notch the frame. I don’t wanna [img][img][/img][/img]go higher or else I’d use journeys adjustable shackles to accommodate. In this pic nothing’s torqued or loaded. When loaded there’s about 3” between top plate and frame.
Attachments
5AA2FBA3-6AE9-4B71-9039-006FA0C55763.jpeg
2003 Astro LT VIN-X 190,000m
2013 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen 75,000m
2015 Dodge Grand Caravan R/T 80,000m
1974 Kawasaki H1 Triple 500cc
2008 Honda CBR 1000RR 6,000m
MiniAlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: MiniAlt has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: LT AWD 190k

Postby 97cargocrawler » August 22nd 2019, 8:32pm

MiniAlt wrote:I converted mine using the HD springs. ...

Is there something sandwiched between the overload spring and the spring perch?

Hit all that with some paint when you're done.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby MiniAlt » August 22nd 2019, 9:14pm

97cargocrawler wrote:
MiniAlt wrote:I converted mine using the HD springs. ...

Is there something sandwiched between the overload spring and the spring perch?

Hit all that with some paint when you're done.

Yes. I installed the poly isolators on the top and bottom. Following this picture I also sandblasted all the rust off and coated with rust reformer and bed liner. The ubolts and top plate I clear coated. Here’s a pic...I couldn’t find it before. Loaded, torqued and excess ubolt cut. Pretty satisfied with the results.
Attachments
F7669D3D-5383-4E68-83CF-B033B318BBC9.jpeg
MiniAlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby doogaloo [OP] » August 23rd 2019, 10:55am

Leaf springs are replaced with HD leaf, double U-bolt and top plate. Regained 2" in lift. It now sits level with everything in it. Also a better "firm" ride.
Attachments
leaf-spring.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
doogaloo
Alias (AKA):

Postby dit » August 29th 2019, 11:04pm

The clamshell hits on my 98 so a top plate would be bad for off road in my experience. I ended up using two down facing square u bolts and put in a second cradle. Allows for maximum articulation.
IMG_0892.jpg
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): photovan
Extra Info: awd 4 inch lift

Postby SportsBoy » August 30th 2019, 12:57am

dit wrote:The clamshell hits on my 98 so a top plate would be bad for off road in my experience. I ended up using two down facing square u bolts and put in a second cradle. Allows for maximum articulation.
IMG_0892.jpg

Now that looks like a solution I could get behind! What did you use above the springs for the ubolts to sit on, and what did you use underneath the axle housing the bolt the ubolts onto?
Did you just leave parts of the clamshells?
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby MiniAlt » August 30th 2019, 1:57am

That reverse square ubolt setup is off the chain. Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Either way, both very clean alternatives to the clamshells.
MiniAlt
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby dit » August 30th 2019, 2:10am

Bought two pairs of ubolts from Amazon for $25 total (had to cut them down). Got a second pair of stock Astro, under axle saddles from jy. The u bolt nuts come up tight against those. Trimmed the old clamshells to use for the top plate (Astro on the half shell?). Re-drilled the cradle on the axle so that the bolts would sit flush to the perch and springs. The ubolts are at the most, 1/8" more proud to the inside than the old clamshells.

In hindsight, it could have made things easier if I had tracked down some one piece under axle saddles that would fit....

I also made a bushing of sorts so that the spring index bolt is now tight in the perch (the OEM fit is rather loose). Been running this now for 4 years and it works well. When I lifted my van originally I opted to not change any of the stops to maximize the suspensions full articulation capability. The rearend has been at full articulation many times (tire rub in upper/inner fender well, rubber stop bottomed out), all clear.
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.48.33 PM.png
IMG_0897.jpg
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c, 4.10s torsen, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion, rock sliders, skid plate, ARB fridge,100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: dit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full yearsdit has been a member for 9 full years

Postby SportsBoy » August 31st 2019, 12:32am

dit wrote:Bought two pairs of ubolts from Amazon for $25 total (had to cut them down). Got a second pair of stock Astro, under axle saddles from jy. The u bolt nuts come up tight against those. Trimmed the old clamshells to use for the top plate (Astro on the half shell?). Re-drilled the cradle on the axle so that the bolts would sit flush to the perch and springs. The ubolts are at the most, 1/8" more proud to the inside than the old clamshells.

In hindsight, it could have made things easier if I had tracked down some one piece under axle saddles that would fit....

I also made a bushing of sorts so that the spring index bolt is now tight in the perch (the OEM fit is rather loose). Been running this now for 4 years and it works well. When I lifted my van originally I opted to not change any of the stops to maximize the suspensions full articulation capability. The rearend has been at full articulation many times (tire rub in upper/inner fender well, rubber stop bottomed out), all clear.
Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 5.48.33 PM.png
IMG_0897.jpg

Thanks dit - this is awesome info!

I did a bit of google searching, but I'm not sure what you mean by "one piece under axle saddles" - do you just mean buying something like a ubolt plate to go underneath so you didn't have to go to the jy to get another set of clams?
SportsBoy
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby dit » September 5th 2019, 12:36am

No, still a jy item. There are some vehicles that use an under axle cradle, they look like this.

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 4.33.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 4.33.12 PM.png (129.4 KiB) Viewed 1512 times

It's just a single cradle rather than doubling up on the stock Astro units. No difference really I suppose.
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » September 5th 2019, 3:01am

wow couldn't you use them on both top and bottom?
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 625
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby dit » September 5th 2019, 3:53am

1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby dit » September 5th 2019, 4:00am

markmitch wrote:wow couldn't you use them on both top and bottom?

They are designed to wrap around an axle tube so probably not so good on top unless you have a flipped axle on top of the leaf springs.
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710
dit
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » September 5th 2019, 4:50am

ok didn't think about that, My van has a factory rear sway bar so I would have to do some extra thinking on how I could make a few parts to make it work with the plates /u bolts & brackets i have now. Sorry for jumping in on this but it made me think so I had questions and now I have more ideas running around in my head lol. Thanks for the answers. Mark
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 625
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Next