Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Add-a-Leaf Helper Springs... Questions

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dumb lady 
#1 ·
Hi fellas!
We are putting in my Overland Vans helper springs today.
We have one of the springs on the van apart.
Both Dean over at ASV & the instructions say to discard the foil shims between the leafs. Are they talking about these sheet metal shims here? There are a set of 2 between each.
Because, they sure don't look like 'foil' to us. And if they are to be left out, won't the springs then ride on each other?
Would that be bad? Are we supposed to put anything back?
We are assuming they need to be left out to fit the added leaf in. Just wanna make sure it's alright.
Thanks muchly for the help!

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm not very good at technical posts, but here are some pix of how he took the springs apart.
(Be sure to support the axle with blocks before you take your springs out)

Ok the add-a-leaf helper spring we got were a little too long. So Mr D/L Had to cut them.

He used the grinder here & took 1/4" off the end. (The one pictured below hasn't been cut yet)

Later he thought 1/4" wasn't enough so he cut 1/2" off the passenger side helper spring. He said if the driver side really needs it, he'll use a shipfitting wedge & grind it off a little more in place.

Anyway, he put everything back together while I was out this morning, so I didn't get pix of that. Sorry. He also installed new KYB Gas Adjust shocks in the rear.
(We have new front shocks too & will get to them very soon)

This afternoon, we took it for a quickie test drive.
Unfortunately me & Mr Carlo Rossi were already heavily involved.
I was bombed, so Mr D/L drove the van.
The roads are all very smooth here in Florida & truthfully, I felt no difference in the ride.

So, we went into a shopping center parking lot with speed bumps. Mr D/L went over them too quickly & the front end banged a lot harder than the rear. I told him to try it again slow (because I don't usually drive like an idiot) & so I can tell. The rear felt a whole lot smoother than the front was going over. And he thinks so too.

The new shocks in the rear must be compensating for the added leaf. Or the the old shocks were a lot crappier than I even thought. When he does the front shocks I'm sure it'll feel all different again.
After we got back, we had our lean & mean low-fat Sunday BBQ.
Turkey burgers, spizy hot chicken wing drumettes, coleslaw, fennel dijon potatoes, & misc pickled goodies.

And, I really, really, really really REALLY like how my van looks now.
So, I'm a happy lady tonight. :drinkers:

#4 ·
Chrissy,

I MUST have your recipe for fennel Dijon potatoes! PLEASE! By the way, I love your dawg, he(she) looks just like my beloved Amadeus, he's been gone for 9 years now, but I still miss him sooo much!

Oh, by the way, the van looks good too! :mrgreen:

#6 ·
Great job DL. Van looks nice with the lifted rear. Tell Mr. DL I like his tools. When I installed the helper springs on my wifes van I cut the spring retainer rather than the spring. I don't have any airtools so I used my trusty Milwalkee Sawzal with a metal cutting blade. Cut like butter :D

#7 ·
Thanks fellas!
I'll tell Mr D/L you like his tools Mr dawgs. He has a sawzall or three, too. (& every other tool ever invented) :roll:

Mr remark, I just PM'd you the recipe. Lemme know how you like it. :D
I'm so sorry about Amadeus. Our dogs are like our children & it's so painful when they leave us.
I think I'll post up a 'pets' thread, so we can all share our pet pix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.