Is everything here for a front lift?

Is everything here for a front lift?

Postby mgoudreau90 [OP] » June 4th 2020, 2:52pm

The shop I went to to put on a lift kit and 4 tires told me I was "missing parts" to complete the front lift. They said that there were shackles included that they could use to lift the rear, which they did. Per my request, they cranked the torsion bars up so I could be on my way with my new, bigger tires. I'd like to limit my time like this as I don't want to damage or unnecessarily wear anything prematurely.

This van is new to me and the kit was thrown in when I bought it, and I know next to nothing when it comes to drivetrain. I am unable to do anything on my own due to living in an apartment with no tools.

Can anyone help me out and take a look at the pic below to see wha and if anything is missing? It's my understanding that these are pucks, e-brake bracket, number relocation brackets, and long bolts. The kit is from overland vans.

Original Poster [OP]
mgoudreau90
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA): Mike G
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L H-T AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Is everything here for a front lift?

Postby Wiley » June 4th 2020, 3:06pm

Looks like 2 in pucks, which keeps things super easy. Is that correct, are you doing 2 in or 3 in lift, it will affect what you need to address. I believe you have what you need for equipment if its a modest lift. There are experts here who will confirm, it has been a decade since I did my lift. As you go larger you need to address stretches hoses and lines etc. You will need to trim the fan shroud, and maybe some area around the wheels, but you should ask what they think is missing.

The 2+1 or 3+1 lift threads stickied in this subforum have all the info you need. I am sure you saw them since you are in the correct subforum, but read these extensively:

How to do a 2+1 (3") AWD Lift...
How to do a 3+1 (4") AWD Lift...

Its a very basic procedure, if they are not sure what you want them to do it may be best to look elsewhere, but my guess is they don't want to cut the fan shroud or something, even though it's just plastic. These vans are notorious for leaking oil cooler lines, so they may not like stretching those lines either, we will need more info I suppose.

You should see if you can pay someone here to do it/help you locally, rather than try and have these guys do it for you. When I was in your shoes and had no idea what I was lifting, I had a member offer to let me drive up and work with him in his driveway (Shout out to La Grasta, whats up man!). He didn;'t want money, but I gave him half of what the shop was gonna charge me, so it was a win-win deal.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
Wiley
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Wiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full yearsWiley has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 7
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD 2 inch Lift

Postby mgoudreau90 [OP] » June 5th 2020, 6:05am

Yeah, I just wanted to make sure everything was there before I go somewhere else. The guy said that the mechanic rattled off a few things and he could grab him to tell me if he wanted. I declined since it didn’t sound like they knew, even though they do lifts.

I was hoping someone could tell me definitively that this is all I need. Then I can shop around. Side note: if anyone is in Salt Lake City, hit me up! Lol
Original Poster [OP]
mgoudreau90
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby doogaloo » June 5th 2020, 3:11pm

Are the bolts in the photo for the hangers? I notice there are nuts attached to the bolts. Do you have the longer bolts to replace the stock bolts when adding the spacers?
doogaloo
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby mgoudreau90 [OP] » June 5th 2020, 4:02pm

doogaloo wrote:Are the bolts in the photo for the hangers? I notice there are nuts attached to the bolts. Do you have the longer bolts to replace the stock bolts when adding the spacers?

I'm going to be honest here, I have no idea what is what. Everything shown is everything I have. :?:
Original Poster [OP]
mgoudreau90
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby doogaloo » June 5th 2020, 4:17pm

Those may be the bumper relocating brackets. When the pucks are installed on front, you will have a 2" gap between your bumper with stock mounting and the grill. Definitely look into longer harden bolts. You will need them for the front lift.

M12-1.75 x 130mm class 10.9 Hex head bolts Qty 4
M14-2.0 x 130mm class 10.9 Hex head bolts Qty 2

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=132674
doogaloo
Years of Membership: doogaloo has been a member for 2 full yearsdoogaloo has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 32
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999

Postby Rod's Trucks » June 5th 2020, 5:15pm

mgoudreau90,
I just finished that exact 2" front lift project yesterday.
You are missing the 6 longer bolts, that will go up through the 2" pucks.
Previous poster gave the dimensions, and they are listed in many other places.
The bolts with the nuts are for the bumper relocation brackets ( I did not do hat part, because I am doing a custom bumper install)

I would not recommend anybody try this by themselves, without a fair amount of experience with jacking and heavy wrenching. Having another person there, even if they are just helping hand you tools and parts, will be big help. And if something bad happens, they can get help.
The job is not difficult, but having a lift would have saved me considerable time. Having to jack things up HIGH, and then lower other parts when above the range of normal floor jacks is a real hassle....adding blocking to get higher,,,then removing blocking to get something else lower; etc. It sometimes borders on unsafe, sometimes probably IS unsafe, and generally not recommended. Pleases stay well out from under the van when jacking or lowering.

Remember, a floor jack has wheels for a reason besides for easy maneuvering. The way the saddle rises in an arc, something will have to move. Either the jack will roll on its wheels (on a hard floor), or the vehicles will need to roll a bit to stay on the saddle of the jack...or on the stack of lumber you have on the saddle. So sometimes you may need to remove chocks to allow the needed movement,,,THEN PUT THEM BACK IN PLACE!
Trimming the lower fan shroud is not hard once you get it out. I followed a picture in another post, and trimmed 2" off the lower edge. I could have easily gotten by with 1". I happened to be doing other things that required the fan shroud to be out, so I combined the tasks over a few days.
Good luck and stay safe
Rod's Trucks
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): Rod and/or WE7X
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Forest Green LS AWD

Postby mgoudreau90 [OP] » June 13th 2020, 2:26pm

doogaloo wrote:Those may be the bumper relocating brackets. When the pucks are installed on front, you will have a 2" gap between your bumper with stock mounting and the grill. Definitely look into longer harden bolts. You will need them for the front lift.

M12-1.75 x 130mm class 10.9 Hex head bolts Qty 4
M14-2.0 x 130mm class 10.9 Hex head bolts Qty 2

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=132674

The text shows 130mm, but the links navigate to 140mm. Does anyone know the correct length required, or will either do?
Original Poster [OP]
mgoudreau90
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)