Lift Handling

Lift Handling

Postby TPP [OP] » August 10th 2020, 2:33am

I am thinking about getting the lift so I can install 30" tires when I need to replace them, probably in the next few months.

How do these vans handle with a 4" lift? Do you have to do anything about the caster angle? I'm asking because I did a 4" rough county lift on my jeep, I'm only running 30's and it should be 33's and now it rides horrible and is all over the road and the suspension is super stiff and steering is loose when going straight. Are there any common issues with lifting these vans? I like the way it rides now but wouldn't mind having a lil extra ground clearance.
Original Poster [OP]
TPP
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLT AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: Lift Handling

Postby 97cargocrawler » August 10th 2020, 5:54am

I have 11" of lift and the van has improved handling over stock.

Since your asking for advice mine would be to tackle the problems with your Jeep first. Learn something there before attempting to modify something that doesn't lend itself to lifting easily and has **** handling from the factory. Jeeps are absolutely the most common lifted vehicle in the history of mankind. If you can't perfect that leave the van bone stock. 30" tires aint ****. Teeny tiny lil pieces of rubber. They should feel solid af if you did it right.

:2:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby TPP [OP] » August 10th 2020, 4:26pm

Thanks. I do need to fix my jeep first. I blew the 4banger engine earlier this year, that's part of the reason why I bought my van lol. Trying to get the replacement engine back in now, then I will address the suspension issue. I talked to a Jeep shop and they told me I most likely need to add steel shims to get the caster angle to 6°.

PS- Your van looks sick.
Original Poster [OP]
TPP
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby SportsBoy » August 10th 2020, 7:17pm

I know many people with 4" of lift say the handling is just fine. With a body lift, the handling shouldn't really change at all. Adding in a torsion lift in the front makes the ride more harsh more overall, so they say. People add a rear sway bar as they go higher to reduce body roll.

Mostly with these vans it seems like you need to replace the idler arms as they go and have light truck rated tires so you don't bounce down the road as much.
SportsBoy
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: SportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full yearsSportsBoy has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 23
Alias (AKA): Blake
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3 AWD

Postby Mmusicman » August 10th 2020, 10:43pm

BODY LIFT does NOT affect handling WHATSOEVER!

Body lift has no affect on springs, fronts shocks, steering components, alignment, front drivetrain, suspension in ANY way. All of these parts are connected to the sub-frame... the body is simply spaced higher above it.

My lifted van DRIVES PERFECT! RIDES PERFECT!
No affect at all.

But sitting higher can make you more susceptible to head-winds and cross-winds.
All vans deal with this already anyway... just a tiny bit more when lifted.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby Leeann_93 » August 10th 2020, 10:59pm

TPP wrote:Thanks. I do need to fix my jeep first. I blew the 4banger engine earlier this year, that's part of the reason why I bought my van lol. Trying to get the replacement engine back in now, then I will address the suspension issue. I talked to a Jeep shop and they told me I most likely need to add steel shims to get the caster angle to 6°.

PS- Your van looks sick.

Did you get replacement upper a-arms for a lifted Jeep? They're readily available for my Liberty from jeepinbyal.com (though I have a set for an unlifted Liberty on mine because it also adds replaceable, greasable ball joints), but he doesn't have anything for Wranglers.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby TPP [OP] » August 17th 2020, 2:20am

Leeann_93 wrote:
TPP wrote:Thanks. I do need to fix my jeep first. I blew the 4banger engine earlier this year, that's part of the reason why I bought my van lol. Trying to get the replacement engine back in now, then I will address the suspension issue. I talked to a Jeep shop and they told me I most likely need to add steel shims to get the caster angle to 6°.

PS- Your van looks sick.

Did you get replacement upper a-arms for a lifted Jeep? They're readily available for my Liberty from jeepinbyal.com (though I have a set for an unlifted Liberty on mine because it also adds replaceable, greasable ball joints), but he doesn't have anything for Wranglers.

My jeep is old, it's leaf springs all around.
Original Poster [OP]
TPP
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):