4" OLV lift

4" OLV lift

Postby rburnette3 [OP] » April 7th 2012, 1:30pm

Recently purchased a 95 AWD Safari, and looking to build a camper. I have done some research prior to the purchase and found this forum. I have reached out to OLV regarding a lift kit but havent had any luck making contact. From reading other posts, looks as though im not alone. Looking for some guidance from some seasoned vets as to how to approach the lift.

Thanks in advance

rburnette3
Original Poster [OP]
rburnette3
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): rburnette3
Van Model Year: 1995
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Lift Handling
    by TPP » August 10th 2020, 2:33am in Lifted Suspension
    6 Replies
    Last post by TPP View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 2:20am
  • found this company site for Astro lift kits and such
    by markmitchmarkmitch is online! » October 22nd 2020, 4:24am in Lifted Suspension
    2 Replies
    Last post by markmitchmarkmitch is online! View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 4:02pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 4:18am

Re: 4" OLV lift

Postby Lumpy » April 7th 2012, 3:17pm

Hi rb -

Consider spending a couple of days reading the threads in this lifted section. Dozens of people have lifted 2-4 inches, several have lifted more. There are several ways to do it. There is more than one source for the parts needed. None of it seems to require any particularly unusual or exotic tools. It never seems to be any kind of "simple bolt-on" job. And EACH van, each lift seems to be a little different. A lot depends on the lifter's experience with and attitude toward working on vans, the workspace availbable, the time available, and perhaps most importantly the ability to remain calm and approach things with a learning attitude. Essentially everyone runs into some glitches. To some, that's a catastrophe. To others, it's an opportunity to buy a new tool and replace something that was near failure in their van.

Essentially -
2" Lift = Front body pucks (look for the low cost alternative to OLV)
Rear leaf shackles (Also look for the alternative for the exact same part)

4" Lift = The 2" lift above, PLUS 2 inches more front and rear. That's where things start to become different from van to van. In front, yours have tortion bars. Read up on the various ways to adjust and/or modify tortion bars. There is more than one style T bar. Each one has it's assets and liabilities. For the rear, blocks, add-a-leafs, air shocks, xtra leafs, new replacement leafs et al. And each one of those has it's own multi option set of possibilities. For example, once you add leaves or change springs, the many options for leaf spring plates and U bolts reveals itself. New, longer shocks may or may not come into play. Moved shock mounts. Longer steering shaft. Relocated front bumper. Relocated parking brake bracket. Trimmed fan housing or replace with electric fan. Ball joint spacers. New, taller tires. Trimmed fender wells. Relocated/lengthened brake lines.

TONS of people have started with the OLV 2" lift. It used to be a lot less expensive. It was, and may still be, a good place to start, especially for people who aren't overly confident rebuilding their suspension. Once you do the 2" lift, you'll want more. And once you do the 2, you'll have experience seeing how AstroFaris are suspended under that box.

Read the threads on all the lifts, even the very large lifts like $uperjoe's monster. There are lots of good pics. Lots of people have already run into the little problems that come up. Lots of people have discovered workarounds, tools, jigs, thought processes that will make the job simpler.

Take pics! Show us your project!

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Jasen » April 7th 2012, 6:59pm

I was poking around the interweb recently gathering parts intell for my eventual 2" lift, discovered Amazon sells body pucks for cheap cheap cheap, also found that McMaster-Carr sells grade 9 bolts a lot cheaper then grade 8 :confused:
I'm a Journeyman woodworker,
Every projects a journey man.

Ultra gauge

Being a mad scientist IS NOT as easy as it look's on TV

Jasen
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Jasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full yearsJasen has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 260
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD cargo Dutch door

Postby rburnette3 [OP] » April 9th 2012, 1:16pm

Thanks guys, I have been looking around at what others have been doing and have done in the past, this forum is a great source of info. I have quite a bit of Jeep knowledge but this is my first van. Looking forward to this one though it is going to be a fun experience, luckily I am in the auto biz and have a shop, tools and master techs to help with the build. Thanks for the help and stay tuned for more Pics to follow.

rb3

Ps, if you have checked out the pics, I will be doing something about the really "awesome" painted graphics down the sides...
Original Poster [OP]
rburnette3
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: rburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full yearsrburnette3 has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): rburnette3
Van Model Year: 1995

Postby limon » May 4th 2012, 7:40pm

Hey rburnette3,

I'm late to the party, but, if you're going over 2" with sourced parts; see if you can get the re-indexed torsion keys from OLV.

I bought the whole 4"+ kit from OLV last year and am very pleased with the ride (pretty much like stock). In contrast, I used some keys from another manufacturer on my GMC 4X4 PU, and the ride was so harsh (if I ran over a dime, I could tell you if it was heads or tales), I ended out putting the stock keys back about a year later.

Good Luck
limon
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: limon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full yearslimon has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 4
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD

Postby ssbf1 » September 26th 2012, 5:39pm

There are many options but I went with OLV and glad I did. The first set of torsion keys were cut wrong and needed to return for another set, but other then that it is a rather smooth conversion. OLV AWD 4"+ with Bridgestone 30 x 9.5 x 15 tires on stock Chevy rally rims.
Attachments
L1000674.JPG
L1000675.JPG
L1000683.JPG
ssbf1
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992

Postby ProStreet_LS1 » September 26th 2012, 7:56pm

ssbf1: I really like your Astro. I may never have a lifted Astro, ( my pro street V8 Astro takes most of my extra money), but I like how yours looks.
1985 Pro Street Chevy Astro: parted, scrapped & upgraded to
1998 Pro Street Chevy Astro: Tubbed w/ 33x22 rear tires, 350 hp aluminum LS1 V8
PRO STREET 4 LIFE, GEARHEAD 4 LIFE
ProStreet_LS1
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full yearsProStreet_LS1 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 54
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS1 V8 Pro Street

Postby Lumpy » September 26th 2012, 8:50pm

Looks good! And I like the rims. Not ghetto twirling, stiletto bladed, skull and crossbones with triple chrome plating.

How's your rear driveline? Any new rumbles/rattles now that the rear axle is lower in relation to the output shaft?

How about rear wheels front to back spacing in the wheel well? Looks like it came forward a tiny bit, which is expectable. Some people turn the leaves around to shift the wheel back a bit. I experimented with both, left it normal, not reversed.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Mr_Bowtie » September 26th 2012, 11:30pm

Looks awesome! Those rims look perfect on there too, nice choice! :rockon:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby ssbf1 » October 9th 2012, 2:31am

Drive train is great, angle seems fine, no noise, handles as well or better then original. When I first put the 4+ leaf springs in and had not done the two inch body lift or torsion keys it was making noise and clearly not happy. Once leveled out and full kit installed it's been better then I had imagined. The wheels came from a Suburban, needed some sanding and cleaning, but really gave a OEM look I am really pleased with.
L1000677.JPG
Not much difference in rear wheel placement.
L1000681.JPG

Used OLV bumper relocation kit, cut front bumper down for greater clearance and painted both grill and bumper cover flat black.
L1000673.JPG

L1000769.JPG
ssbf1
Years of Membership: ssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full yearsssbf1 has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby ssbf1 » June 12th 2013, 4:48pm

Working on another AWD Astro, this time an 04. Still lots to do but making progress.
Attachments
IMG_1522.JPG
4 inch lift, stock 16" tires and rims
IMG_1671.JPG
New Mickey Thomson Classic III with Wrangler 255 70 16 tires
ssbf1
Alias (AKA):

Postby ssbf1 » June 16th 2013, 3:15pm

Cut some more out of the fender wells and got the flairs back on. Slowly but surly.
Attachments
IMG_1688.JPG
ssbf1
Alias (AKA):

Postby woods94safari » January 19th 2014, 2:21am

Im new to this site so bear with me. I have a 94 Safari Lifted about 3-4in, 2in sub-frame spacer+torsion keys in front and shackles in rear from OLV. My rear is sagging, i have recently added OLV shackles. It has steel springs that are roughly 5 years old(done by local spring shop). I am debating weather I should get them re arched + add a leaf or go with the OLV +4" HD Spring Pack and I can fabricate the front mounts. Any help would be great, Thanks. 13817
woods94safari
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: woods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full yearswoods94safari has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA): Jake
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4.3 Vortec AWD