2" lift to 4" lift - what parts do I need

2" lift to 4" lift - what parts do I need

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 12th 2013, 7:12am

I have 2"lift from Overlandvans already installed + new Rancho shocks front and back on my 04 AWD Astro and lately thinking a lot about lifting it a bit more...

2" lift doesn't seem to be much of a suspension lift (maybe at back...), it moves Astro body higher, but the transfer case and that stuff still is not high enough... So I am thinking that 4" lift will move everything bit more higher because it's not just lifting vans body... Am I correct, at least partially?

So I have few questions:
1. How much is that going to affect the millage - 4"lift? I know Astro is pig on a gas anyway...
2. What additional parts do I need to perform a lift? I am aware of Indexed Torsion keys (OVL sells those, not sure if anybody else) and New Leaf Springs, anything else? Any suggestion for Leaf Springs - do I go with ones that are sold at OVL site or there are cheaper better option?
3. Any other suggestions? Anything that I have forgot?

Cheers!

:ty:
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: 2" lift to 4" lift - what parts do I need

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 13th 2013, 12:09am

I have found 2 articles related to this:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13131
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14673

And I will read trough those.

Still have question about how it's affecting MPG?

Anything else you think I should know? :)
2004 Astro AWD (Astrid), 3" Lift, BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 LT225/75R16, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler, ARB Awning 2500 (ARB4401A)

Follow us on Facebook and Instagram | Check out the build of our 2004 Chevy Astro AWD "Astrid"
Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Years of Membership: Tegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full yearsTegnus has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » June 13th 2013, 1:18am

Wanted to reply earlier just got busy with other things...

Tegnus wrote:I have 2"lift from Overlandvans already installed + new Rancho shocks front and back on my 04 AWD Astro and lately thinking a lot about lifting it a bit more...

2" lift doesn't seem to be much of a suspension lift (maybe at back...), it moves Astro body higher, but the transfer case and that stuff still is not high enough... So I am thinking that 4" lift will move everything bit more higher because it's not just lifting vans body... Am I correct, at least partially?

That is how I went about, in stages. I wanted to get a feel for each step to determine what I liked, the positives and negatives. With IFS the front gets raised some with torsion lift, but on the solid rear axle, shackle and leaf spring lift does not increase clearance of differential. Larger tire diameter is the way to achieve additional ground clearance on our vans and in order to do so, the van body and suspension needs to be raised in order to fit/clear the larger diameter tires. Even going from a stock 28" diameter tire to a 31" will only net a 1.5" ground clearance increase at best.

Everyone has their own needs and wants and there are many cool lifted Astros and Safaris running around for sure. I wanted a complete all around package and wasn't concerned with having the highest lift, biggest tires or any of that. I like to try and keep the van working as well as possible in a variety of conditions and don't like to significantly compromise one area for another if I don't have to. I kind of set a target for what diameter tire I wanted to be able to run and went at it from there. In the end, for what these vans are capable of, ground clearance is probably somewhat over-rated. If you have clearance issues, a skid plate may be a good option.

Tegnus wrote:So I have few questions:
1. How much is that going to affect the millage - 4"lift? I know Astro is pig on a gas anyway...

The lift, not as much as you think. Bigger, heavier LT tires will do more damage to mpg than lift. 1 or 2 mpg perhaps,
worst case scenario, depends on your gearing too.

Here's a lift mpg thread... https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=14293&hilit=lift+mpg

Tegnus wrote:2. What additional parts do I need to perform a lift? I am aware of Indexed Torsion keys (OVL sells those, not sure if anybody else) and New Leaf Springs, anything else? Any suggestion for Leaf Springs - do I go with ones that are sold at OVL site or there are cheaper better option?

There are a bunch of thread/posts on here with info, everyone does it differently. I have stayed away from lift keys for now, I'm not sure I want to introduce additional torsion lift with the reindexed keys but several vans have them. Doesn't hurt to experiment with the stock keys and turn the stock adjusting screws to see how much lift you can achieve. First, mark them and count the number of turns and you can always go back to where you were before.

As for leaf springs, if you don't feel you need a heavy-duty spring, the 22-687 is a good choice and very close to the load rating of the stock springs only with additional arch. Same as what OLV sells and many spring shops online sell them at a substantial discount. You could also install an add-a-leaf in your stock leaf spring pack though I think new leaf springs are a better option in the long run.

Tegnus wrote:3. Any other suggestions? Anything that I have forgot?

Target what you want/hope to achieve and research the various lift threads to see what others have done and will work best for your needs. Keep an eye on all the lines to make sure nothing is tight or stressed.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 13th 2013, 7:30am

Thanks a lot for answer Corsemoto!

I have decent tires already and not planing to change those soon (225/75R16), and aware that rear differential will stay where it is. I am more concerned about oil pan and transfer case and yes - producing skid plate and installing it is on my to do list as well. :)

My stock torsion keys are almost to at the max on passenger side as it was about inch lower when I got Astro and I did level that out, not sure why, but it was... So I would have to go with the indexed ones to get a higher lift anyhow...

Would I still require pinion shims if I go with 22-687 leaf spring pack?

Cheers!

Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » June 13th 2013, 9:15pm

Probably not, if you're not using lift shackles.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 13th 2013, 9:42pm

Corsemoto wrote:Probably not, if you're not using lift shackles.

The question again is, should I be using those? Advantages? I have them installed currently...

Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » June 13th 2013, 10:00pm

That's right, I forgot you went through this with shackles and shims already. :banana:

It just depends on what position you're going to use on the shackles to fine tune ride height once you install new leaf springs. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a set of 2 degree shims to have on hand in case you decide to run the shackles in the middle position - which is 1" lift from shackle. You might find the new springs have enough lift on their own to not run any additional shackle lift in which case you may not need shims.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Alias (AKA):

Postby Tegnus [OP] » June 17th 2013, 7:02pm

How long usually it would take for leaf springs to settle down? My van is not a daily driver and I don't carry any loads in it... :)

Original Poster [OP]
Tegnus
Alias (AKA):