front shock extensions

front shock extensions

Postby mattds [OP] » October 15th 2013, 3:55pm

Hi there,
I don't use my van much, but i've done a 2" Torsen lift and then i recently replaced my shocks the ones they sold me were shoter than what was on the van,and now with the lift they are too short and sometimes make the ride horrible! (like over a speed bump, when on rebound they max out).

Can someone pls show me some shock extensions - i couldn't find anything that specifically said they fit an astro - only 1500 pickups...will they work?

Thanks
m
Original Poster [OP]
mattds
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: mattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Matthew
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: awd cargo 3.42 g80

Re: front shock extensions

Postby 97cargocrawler » October 15th 2013, 4:17pm

Your not gonna find anything listed for Astros in any sort of offroad shop. Most 1500 series truck parts with fit into both AWD and 2WD Strofaris. Shocks are cheap enough to go buy new ones. If you use and extension you might bottom out under full compression. Best bet is to get the proper length. Extensions are probably cheap enough to buy and try too.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby mattds [OP] » October 15th 2013, 4:54pm

yeah, i thought of the bottoming out issue, but to be honest i don't have that much room with the tires i'm running. I priced out extensions and they were $40 and shocks are around $80...for the amount that i drive the van i'll save the extra $$ for my jeep :)
Original Poster [OP]
mattds
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: mattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full yearsmattds has been a member for 7 full years

Postby Sailing_Faith » October 15th 2013, 7:22pm

On the KYB shocks I just installed, I have about an inch, maybe one and a half of thread above the washer. What if you measured how much play you have and added washers under the bottom rubber cup to make up the difference. I bet you are looking at more then an inch, but if nothing else it will make the problem less noticeable, and it won't cost anything but some washers and a little time to try it out.

Good luck
Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby Sailing_Faith » October 15th 2013, 7:24pm

Sailing_Faith
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: Sailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full yearsSailing_Faith has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): s/v Faith
Extra Info: SLT 4.3l RWD G80

Postby mattds [OP] » October 22nd 2013, 8:37pm

Unfortunately the washer idea only works for the 2wd setups... I ordered some Silverado ones that I'll try to get to work without welding. It looks like if I may have to drill a hole for the shock extenders to work...
Original Poster [OP]
mattds
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)