2001 OLV 4" Lift Start to Finish w/ Pics

Re: 2001 OLV 4" Lift Start to Finish w/ Pics

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 2nd 2014, 2:04am

I saw your howto on that a couple times on here. What does that accomplish? Aren't the RS5000's I have long enough the way they are?
2001 AWD Astro LT 112k mi 4" lift inprog
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: tanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT4.3LV6AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Lift Handling
    by TPP » August 10th 2020, 2:33am in Lifted Suspension
    6 Replies
    Last post by TPP View the latest post
    August 17th 2020, 2:20am
  • found this company site for Astro lift kits and such
    by markmitchmarkmitch is online! » October 22nd 2020, 4:24am in Lifted Suspension
    2 Replies
    Last post by markmitchmarkmitch is online! View the latest post
    October 25th 2020, 4:02pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 4:42am

Postby Lumpy » November 2nd 2014, 2:17am

tanvanmanwithaplan wrote:
... Aren't the RS5000's I have long enough the way they are?

They may or may not be. If you have a 4" lift then you've lifted the top shock mount 4" higher than it was. The shocks are on an angle. The trig experts could tell you how much that's caused the shocks to extend. Measuring (or simply looking up on Rancho's website) the length extended and collapsed will tell you how close you are to either end.

Perhaps most importantly is that you get the bottoms of the shocks up out of the way of the ground zombies. Improved clearance, plus I think it just plain looks better as people look up your butt to not have those big fangs sticking down, just a couple inches off the ground.

And it's just plain cool to do mods on your van.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Lower control arm replacement, spindle removal necessary?

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 2nd 2014, 10:45pm

Today I'm trying to replace the lower control arms (Still 2001, AWD).

I've got my mevotech control arms unboxed, mevotech balljoints removed and moog lowers installed and torqued down, ready to install. The side of the van makes a good workbench now that it's so tall!

Do I have to remove the calipers, cv axle and spindle to get the lower ball joint off of it?

I've got the lower ball joint popped, sway bar link removed, lower shock mount bolt removed, A-arm/control arm-to-frame nuts removed, but it looks like the top of the ball joint is going to hit the CV axle if I try to get it off. I guess this is going to be more work than I thought :/ See picture below:

According to this thread, I think I already have my answer, mostly. He doesn't say that's the only way to do it but that is the order he does it in. https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=14628
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Years of Membership: tanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full yearstanvanmanwithaplan has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 3rd 2014, 12:25am

Well I can't get the #$%!ing brake caliper off the passenger side spindle. I've got a 3/8 hex in it with a medium sized breaker bar (only size that will fit) and it will me pick the whole van up off the jack stand before it gives in. Apparently no amount of PB blaster is going to work.

I might have to bust out the torch. Is there anything other than the brake line I need to be careful about when I'm torching these? I've got the weird rubber boots off.

EDIT: As you can probably tell from the previous sentences, I am an idiot. I just had to turn the wheel so I could get the big breaker bar in there then it came out like butter first crank.
Last edited by tanvanmanwithaplan on November 3rd 2014, 1:01am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » November 3rd 2014, 1:00am

Can you try TIGHTENING it a bit before loosening? Sometimes that breaks the gunk-bond.

I like Freez-Off. Like PBBlaster but it also super cools the joint. Same idea as torching, it expands and contracts things, but without the heat risk.

Slip a piece of pipe over your breaker bar?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 3rd 2014, 1:03am

I didn't see your post when I wrote the edit, but I just had to turn the wheel so I could fit a full size breaker bar and it came out easy peasy. It's getting late and I'm getting lazy so I think the van is gonna sit on jackstands in the street for a couple days again. The neighborhood is getting used to it.

At least they all got to see it lifted with big tires on it so they know why I'm wrenching on it constantly. I didn't feel so bad about the noise today because my neighbors were building a fence and burning **** all day.

Some more updates: I took the van out today on the interstate, the noise is present at 60+MPH (didn't drive any faster, so it wasn't the cupped tires. An interesting note about that is that the noise seems to linger after I get off the interstate and decelerate and then fades away after a moment or two of driving 30-45mph. I am thinking it is a wheel bearing, CV axle, or differential outer bearing, but I think it could be anywhere in the front driveline. It is definitely related to the suspension angle though.

While I'm doing my front end rebuild I am going to check the cv axles and wheel bearings for play and noise and go from there. If I can't find anything, I'm going to let the van down lower. The Big O mechanic says he can't align it if I let it lower but I am going to call BS, do a driveway alignment to show him I can get it close, then make them do the alignment in front of me at the shop.

Also when I was getting my tires put on I asked them to jack the whole van up so we can test the AWD. It works. (hooray)

Finally today I found that the source of all my clunking noises were shock bolts not torqued down (in a late night daze I had told myself I was going to come back and torque the shocks) and the spare tire was clunking around under bumps too. I torqued everything down to spec and other than the bump steer all was fine.
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 4th 2014, 1:58am

Any tips on how to remove seized front lower control arm bolt? It is stuck to the bushing and so cranking on the bolt just moves the whole control arm. The bolt is slowly spinning inside the bushing but it is so stuck to the bushing that nothing I can do will get it out. The sawzall is thinking about making an appearance, but I'll have to source a new bolt before I make that decision.

I just checked GM parts catalogs and no dice on the bolt. They list the bushings but not the bolts.
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » November 4th 2014, 3:19am

tanvanmanwithaplan wrote:Any tips on how to remove seized front lower control arm bolt? It is stuck to the bushing and so cranking on the bolt just moves the whole control arm. The bolt is slowly spinning inside the bushing but it is so stuck to the bushing that nothing I can do will get it out. The sawzall is thinking about making an appearance, but I'll have to source a new bolt before I make that decision.

There is a sleeve inside the bushing, perhaps try taking weight off the control arm under the bushing and tapping on the end of bolt with drift/punch. Did you remove the torsion bar?

tanvanmanwithaplan wrote:I just checked GM parts catalogs and no dice on the bolt. They list the bushings but not the bolts.

You sure about that?

M16 x 2.0 x 114 mm bolt

http://www.gmpartseast.com/Page_Product/PartList.aspx?MakeUrl=chevy&CatalogUrl=2001-astro-awd&ComponentCode=TM0602101&SectionCode=06&EngineCode=L35&TransmissionCode=M30&ModelCode=&Vin=&ProductionDate=&VehicleInfo=&CatalogCode=53M&Year=
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Lumpy » November 4th 2014, 3:46am

Corsemoto wrote:
M16 x 2.0 x 114 mm bolt

That seems easy enough to source from Fastenal et al, the usual places. I think Ace Hardware has those.

Might have a bit of a cuss session with the sawzall if it's hardened.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 4th 2014, 3:54am

Corsemoto wrote:You sure about that?

M16 x 2.0 x 114 mm bolt

gmpartsdirect.com catalog sucks compared to that one!

Awesome. I have already spent two hours and tried an air hammer/chisel w/blunt bit, torch, a punch, mallet, mini sledge, liquid wrench, cranking on it (again it moves, just doesn't seem to ever give progress) to get it loose.

Now that I've watched it a bunch, I don't think the bolt is moving. I think the bushing is permanently fused to the bolt and the bushing is moving inside the control arm. I think cutting is my only option at this point. Looks like GM is one of the best places to get the part this time. I don't think I'm going to be able to get this directly because all we have is Walmart, Meek's and Lowe's.

It's going to rain hard for the next couple days, so I threw a plastic bag over the brake caliper and CV axle. While I'm waiting for the bolts (I'm going to order two because I'm willing to bet the other side is going to do the same thing) I can work on the other side and replacing the steering components. I also want to check the outer front differential bearings to see if that is a possible cause for the noise. So far I think the CV axles are good.
Last edited by tanvanmanwithaplan on November 4th 2014, 5:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » November 4th 2014, 4:37am

Lumpy wrote:
Corsemoto wrote:
M16 x 2.0 x 114 mm bolt

That seems easy enough to source from Fastenal et al, the usual places. I think Ace Hardware has those.

Might have a bit of a cuss session with the sawzall if it's hardened.

Lump

Yeah, probably 120 mm is as close as you will easily find but as long as it's not too long, or cut it.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Lumpy » November 4th 2014, 10:36pm

If this link works, here's several finishes of M16-2x120 hardened steel -

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/fa ... 0~|sattr01:^Metric$|~%20~|sattr02:^Steel$|~%20~|sattr04:^M16-2.0$|~%20~|attrlength:172200|~%20~|sattr06:^%22Class%2010.9%22$|~

[url]http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/fasteners/bolts/cap-screws-hex-bolts/_/Navigation?term=&termca=&termpx=&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=productSearch&filterByVendingMachine=&r=~|categoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22|~%20~|categoryl2:%22600001%20Bolts%22|~%20~|categoryl3:%22600003%20Cap%20Screws%209and%20Hex%20Bolts%22|~%20~|sattr01:^Metric$|~%20~|sattr02:^Steel$|~%20~|sattr04:^M16-2.0$|~%20~|attrlength:172200|~%20~|sattr06:^%22Class%2010.9%22$|~[/url]

If the link doesn't work, here's ONE for six bucks -

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/details/40768

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 4th 2014, 11:00pm

I already ordered it :/
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

POS Stubborn bolt!

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 6th 2014, 2:16am

2 working days and nearly $200 of tools later. (I like buying destructo-tools like these)

We just haaaad to do it the hard way, didn't we...
Attachments
10556377_10205356631823967_4171802500695850393_n.jpg
stubborn bolt
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby Philly758 » November 8th 2014, 1:02am

Haha that mini sledge/sawzall destruction pic reminds me of my lift. I think I had to cut 3 out of 4 of my leaf spring bolts and hammer them out (1 or 2 I had to cut both sides because of space constraints).

Good progress. Keep up the good work!
:auto-gmcredsmiley:
2000 GMC Safari SLE, AWD - 150k+
- Lifted with 22-687 leaf springs and 2" blocks
- Cooper AT3 30x9.5's on Cragar Soft 8's
- Hellwig Rear Sway Bar
- TruCool Trans Cooler
- Corvette Servo
- Moog steering
- Bilstein HD's
- 3.73 G80
Philly758
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Philly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full yearsPhilly758 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 8th 2014, 4:35am

Thanks for the comment Philly758. I already finished the lift but I am redoing the steering and lowering the lift back down some so I am keeping this same thread going for now. I ground into the frame a little bit when removing the bolt, hopefully it won't cause any problems. It doesn't look too severe.

My latest update is that I have ripped the other side open and the front bolt on the lower control arms is also seized in the exact same way on this side. I'm studying for my ham license exam tonight (taking it in the morning, wish me luck!) so I will spare my neighbors the sounds of an air chisel and grinder at midnight with me cursing sprinkled in.

I figured this would be the case so I ordered two bolts earlier when I had this issue with the first one so it is just a matter of getting this one out and waiting for the new ones from GM. I expect them Tuesday, but they shipped USPS so they could show up anytime in the next month. It's supposed to snow here next weekend so I am getting my *** in gear to get this done.

The other interesting thing about this front end rebuild is that I can't separate the wheel bearings from the spindles. The bolts are severely rusted. I read one report of someone hammering a 13mm (or one size smaller than what appears to fit) socket onto the bolts to get them off but that didn't work for me. The 14mm rounds the corners of the bolt and the 13mm won't go on far enough to grip. Because of this, I just unbolted the upper ball joint, disconnected everything from the spindle and slid the spindle off the cv axle with the wheel bearing still attached.

The good news is that the wheel bearings appear to be good. No noise, they turn easily. I fear that when I do decide to change the wheel bearings, I'm going to either need new spindles or at least drill out the bolts and buy new ones, but I doubt that would be successful.
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » November 11th 2014, 2:07am

So a few days of catch-up:

I couldn't get the driver's side control arm to line up with the frame mount holes. I don't know why. The front-of-van bolt holes were misaligned. While waiting for my new bolts from GM I wanted to put all the new steering components and get the steering knuckle spindle, rotor, wheelbearing assy etc. all mounted back on the van, so I jammed the old broken bolts through the hole on one side that lined up and on the other side I put a **** ratchet through the holes as well as that would fit.

Today I got the bolts and I had to wrestle them in! Took some hammering and rubber mallot on the control arms to get them lined up on the easy side. The other side took some coersion to comply. To do this I took a ratchet strap between both control arms and pulled them together and a jack underneath to push the control arm up and inward to get it lined up. You can see my setup attached. Now I'm getting the torsion bars in and setting ride height where I want it. I'm shooting for 3.5" in the front and 4" in the back. Tomorrow we shall get it aligned! (maybe)
Attachments
IMG_1147.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

Postby kennyj » March 11th 2015, 1:30am

Your van looks real good. I'm thinking about going to 30x9.50s and I found your thread for the pics with the new tires.

Can you tell me more about the rims? Are they Cragars or Generic Soft 8? Are they 7" or 8" and whats the backspacing? And what about the center cap? I haven't found a plain black cap with flat top like that for the 5 x 5 Soft 8s.
Thanks
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full yearskennyj has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby Mr_Bowtie » March 11th 2015, 2:05am

Great build.....makes me miss my jacked up Van.....yours is way nicer tho!! :rockon:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby tanvanmanwithaplan [OP] » March 11th 2015, 2:38am

kennyj wrote:Your van looks real good. I'm thinking about going to 30x9.50s and I found your thread for the pics with the new tires.

Can you tell me more about the rims? Are they Cragars or Generic Soft 8? Are they 7" or 8" and whats the backspacing? And what about the center cap? I haven't found a plain black cap with flat top like that for the 5 x 5 Soft 8s.
Thanks

I attached part of the invoice so you can see the part numbers. This is from 4 wheel parts.com over the phone I believe, they can give you extra discounts and do price matches. I got 15x8 5x5 3.75 backspace and it fits PERFECTLY. It sticks out just a hair but doesn't look gaudy or like a skateboard van. http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Series-98-Rock-Crawler-Gloss-Black-Monster-Mod-Wheel.aspx?t_c=11&t_s=209&t_pt=100021&t_pn=pcw98-5873

I still have a **** load of black centercaps for sale because they sent me 40 instead of 4 by the way.

I got 5 x 30x9.5 General Grabber AT2 from discount tire over the phone for $116 each with free shipping. They price matched TireRack and gave me free shipping. I'm glad you like it.

After driving this van around all winter I can say it is bad *** off road and will truck straight through 2-3 feet of fresh powder snow uphill on gravel roads. I keep a D ring in my receiver when I'm not using it for a bike rack or trailer and I have pulled multiple 4x4 trucks out of snow and ditches.

THAT SAID if I had to do it over again, I would do a DIY (sorry overlandvans) 2" lift with aluminum wheels and 235/75r15 tires, probably DuraTracs. This much lift and size of tires makes it drive a little funny on the interstate and it's not getting very good gas mileage. I am going to try programming my speedometer, and if that doesn't work I'm going to sell the tires and get the 235's or just regear to 4.10s, we'll see. If it weren't for all the time and money I put into the steering components I would sell the van and start fresh with a lower mileage cargo van, but I'm pretty much stuck with this one now, plus I've already started customizing it with Ham equipment, scanners, camper stuff, a generator and and aux battery.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 8.26.48 PM.png
Wheel Invoice
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 8.26.48 PM.png (41.66 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
Original Poster [OP]
tanvanmanwithaplan
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext