driveshaft shortcoming

driveshaft shortcoming

Postby cavegearhauler [OP] » May 3rd 2008, 10:23pm

OK so hi everybody. I am a newbie though I have been pouring over the site for a few weeks now. I have had my van for over five years, a 99 safari sle, and have been vanning for almostv twenty.
So I have been looking at some of the engine swaps and some of the lifts as I am thinking of doing both at the same time. I was going to drop the sub-frame but now am actually considering cutting the core support. I am shy one lift! So it seems everybody likes the 5.7 v8 and it seems like a good choice but in doing so they have to cut the shroud and change the mounts-- this allows the motor to move forward rather than the driveline move back. OK so getting to my point (yes, finally!) I have noticed some of the lifted vans seem to have the rear wheels a bit forward in the wheelwell. Does anybody see a major problem with simply letting the engine slide everything back a bit? This might kill two birds with one stone. I am sure theres a little linkage issues to mess with and of course the adapting of the tranny mount but other than that... anything?

Lastly, does anybody know exactly what the "drop spindles" overland sells are off of. I would rather buy them used and I doubt they have them cast-- it would be quite expensive and pretty much prohibitive for a small amount. I think they would better retain all the geometry for the front end than sprins and the only adjustment would be in the steering linkage. Bigger springs would change the camber would it not?

OK thanks so much to anybody who has some personal experience to answer these questions!! :-)

thanks in advance guys, and ladies, if applicable.
Matt :feedback:
Original Poster [OP]
cavegearhauler
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: cavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full yearscavegearhauler has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):

Re: driveshaft shortcoming

Postby Gary » May 4th 2008, 1:15am

cavegearhauler wrote:OK so hi everybody. I am a newbie though I have been pouring over the site for a few weeks now. I have had my van for over five years, a 99 safari sle, and have been vanning for almostv twenty.
So I have been looking at some of the engine swaps and some of the lifts as I am thinking of doing both at the same time. I was going to drop the sub-frame but now am actually considering cutting the core support. I am shy one lift! So it seems everybody likes the 5.7 v8 and it seems like a good choice but in doing so they have to cut the shroud and change the mounts-- this allows the motor to move forward rather than the driveline move back. OK so getting to my point (yes, finally!) I have noticed some of the lifted vans seem to have the rear wheels a bit forward in the wheelwell. Does anybody see a major problem with simply letting the engine slide everything back a bit? This might kill two birds with one stone. I am sure theres a little linkage issues to mess with and of course the adapting of the tranny mount but other than that... anything?

Lastly, does anybody know exactly what the "drop spindles" overland sells are off of. I would rather buy them used and I doubt they have them cast-- it would be quite expensive and pretty much prohibitive for a small amount. I think they would better retain all the geometry for the front end than sprins and the only adjustment would be in the steering linkage. Bigger springs would change the camber would it not?

OK thanks so much to anybody who has some personal experience to answer these questions!! :-)

thanks in advance guys, and ladies, if applicable.
Matt :feedback:

Matt,
The engine mounts you see I would think takes the dog house spacing in consideration.Not knowing the history how these mounts came into play,that is the only thing I could think of.Try to think of the cradle you dealing with that has the engine/ tranny combo all in one.The amount of trimming of the fan shroud isn't much of a problem.
Chops is the guy you want a reply for the lifted part of your thread.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: high top

Re: driveshaft shortcoming

Postby zombie{[six]} » October 19th 2008, 7:43am

bringing this back from the dead.... any answers on the lift spindles? if they use all 1500 series parts....maybe they are 1500 series lift spindles?
ImageImageImageImageImage

2010 xB, 2002 Astro LS, 1991 5.7L Astro, 1995 Cargo Astro, 1995 Astro Truck
zombie{[six]}
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full yearszombie{[six]} has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 48
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS 4.3L RWD

Return to Lifted Suspension

It is currently February 25th 2021, 11:09pm

Lifted Suspension Forum
Lifted SuspensionLifted Suspension, 4x4, Leaf Springs, Lift Kits, Coils, Gas Shocks, Suspension Lift, Body Lift, Sport Utility, Off-Roading.
Moderator: chevy57bert
To create a new topic in Lifted Suspension, click this button:
Previous topic Next topic
Recent Image Attachments
Attached by:
Attached by: SportsBoy
SportsBoy
in Lifted Suspension
Views: 686
Comments: 28
Date: Feb 15 '21
Time: 3:20am