airbagit shackle fit

airbagit shackle fit

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » December 8th 2015, 11:52pm

are they direct fit? i know i read somewhere in here that washers were needed, but it seems i'd be hard pressed to fit a pair of 1/8" washers between the bushings and the shackle.
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: pannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

Re: airbagit shackle fit

Postby Corsemoto » December 9th 2015, 4:05am

They fit fine without the need for washers, if you get the correct shackles for 2.5" leaf springs and not the earlier fiberglass leaf springs, or other generic shackles with wider spacing.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » December 9th 2015, 2:21pm

much appreciation. i've read through so many lift posts i probably confused it with info from an older model installation. wanted to make sure i had all the needed parts before i started.
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Years of Membership: pannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full yearspannebreaux has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » December 10th 2015, 12:54am

You might want to consider replacing the rubber bushings in the main leafs with poly. The rubber tends to squeak a lot and create an unstable feeling. It's really not a fun job though.
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » December 10th 2015, 3:42pm

97cargocrawler wrote:You might want to consider replacing the rubber bushings in the main leafs with poly. The rubber tends to squeak a lot and create an unstable feeling. It's really not a fun job though.
thanks for the tip. the bushings i have now are fairly new, but i have another set of springs i'll be adding a leaf to that will need new bushings.

i'm going to attempt to make a military full wrap style leaf which will require me putting some heat on the top leaf eyes when i bend the wrap around the eyes so i'll need to replace them anyway. if i have to press a bushing or bearing. i won't use a previously installed part unless it's an emergency.

i installed my airbagit shackles yesterday in about an hour. i got a little over 2" of lift unloaded, but i also have the coil overs helping. i'm sure once i finish my roof rack and put my camping and music equipment plus my hitch hauler tool box in it, i'll lose an inch or more. it rides a whole lot better than it did.

before the van was sitting about 1/2" off the 4 1/2" energy suspension bump stops and it didn't take much of a bump to rattle the whole van when it was empty. when it was loaded it sat on the stops and wasn't as rough but drove a bit squirrely. last night i was hitting holes and bumps on purpose with no jarring side effects.
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Alias (AKA):

Postby Meterpig » December 17th 2015, 6:32am

I had to use a large crowbar to get my new springs to fit into the airbaggit shackles.
How many sensors, fuses or computers does a Bw4472 need? Zero.

1999-2005 FSM PDF (Torrent) https://www.thepiratebay.org/torrent/30867489/astro_safari_van_fsm_factory_service_manaul

2004 Astro-https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-F7bd6R/
Meterpig
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Meterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full yearsMeterpig has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA): meterpig
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: Not a minivan

Postby pannebreaux [OP] » December 27th 2015, 5:13pm

Meterpig wrote:I had to use a large crowbar to get my new springs to fit into the airbaggit shackles.
mine went in smooth and easy without a fight. the only thing i wished i had done different is grease them before i installed. holding the flex hose and pumping half a tube from dinky grease pistol to fill empty shackles wasn't fun.
Original Poster [OP]
pannebreaux
Alias (AKA):