Air shocks or air bags

Air shocks or air bags

Postby Pengyou [OP] » December 12th 2015, 11:52pm

I thought that air bags are still used with shocks but are they helpful if I am using air shocks all the way around? Should I do the 2" lift before I replace the shocks or after? I am probably going to do the overland kit. What about air bags on the front end? And how does upgrading the rear springs fit into the picture - with the 2" body lift?
Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 106
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • 2wd lift with Moog 9012 coils with Rancho RS55609 shocks
    by doublebass » February 14th 2020, 4:17pm in Lifted Suspension
    13 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    March 14th 2020, 6:59pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    August 5th 2020, 7:48am

Re: Air shocks or air bags

Postby Lumpy » December 13th 2015, 2:28am

Air BAGS - Air SHOCKS

They are two different animals.

Air BAGS are springs. Just as if you were adding/subtracting leaves, the airbag changes your spring rate (the amount of deflection at a given weight)

Air SHOCKS are shock absorbers that you can make longer. It's as if you put a jack under the car and raised the rear (or front). The spring rate remains the same but now the shocks take some of the stress of the thing being jacked up.

18 wheelers, dump trucks, fire trucks, lots of huge vehicles use air bags. Many of those vehicles use them in place of coils or leaves. Air shocks were probably invented to enable my dad to level his Galaxy 500 XL station wagon when he was towing the family travel trailer.

You can install either or both on the rear. Either will allow you to fine tune your rear end height.

I suppose you could install air shocks on the front of an AWD and maybe(?) the front of a RWD. You'd have a hard time installing air bags on the front of either, I'd think.

With your 2" lift you shouldn't have to change shocks. There will be zero difference in front. And the difference in the rear will still be accomodated by stock length shocks.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » December 13th 2015, 5:36am

Should I fill those with mostly Nitrogen?

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » December 13th 2015, 10:34am

AstroWill wrote:Should I fill those with mostly Nitrogen?

Most of the time.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Coaster » December 13th 2015, 5:58pm

any air pump will fill them with mostly nitrogen
I LIVE IN NORTH DAKOTA
Coaster
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Coaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full yearsCoaster has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 113
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: 4.3 cargo 2wd

Postby markmitch » December 13th 2015, 6:12pm

Never use air shocks on the front of a vehicle, super unsafe and illegal in most states I doubt you could find then to fit the front anyway. If you are driving a vehicle with front air shocks and take a corner at a high speed and the shock blows you will roll the vehicle. This was tested years ago by Monroe because Lincoln wanted to use them for ride control. Test showed them to be very dangerous because while turning hard while at higher speeds the bellows and seals would blow from weight and down force at the same time which also would create heat which damaged the rubber parts even more. With today's better rubbers and such this may have changed but I have not seen anything saying so. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 583
Alias (AKA): AstroMark or 1st gen
Extra Info: RS V8

Postby AstroWill » December 13th 2015, 10:53pm

markmitch wrote:Never use air shocks on the front of a vehicle, super unsafe and illegal in most states

I have never heard of this before, do you have a reference for this?

I know that there are quite a few with factory leveling systems. Firestone makes them for the front of trucks http://www.truckspring.com/suspension-p ... -rite.aspx

Trolls take away from productive work, best to starve the troll of attention by ignoring it and going about your business.
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Pengyou [OP] » December 14th 2015, 2:48am

Original Poster [OP]
Pengyou
Years of Membership: Pengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full yearsPengyou has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: AWD Cargo

Postby AstroWill » December 14th 2015, 4:37am

Coaster wrote:any air pump will fill them with mostly nitrogen

But I want it mixed with about 21% oxygen as well.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Alias (AKA):

Postby nobodyhome1313 » December 14th 2015, 9:02pm

Sounds like some high dollar equipment you have planned. :rofl:

Anybody have a suggestion on front/ rear airbag setup on 95-05 AWD? Yes, not air shocks. I can find helpers for the rear, but nothing bolt-on for the front.

Thanks everyone.
nobodyhome1313
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby Lumpy » December 15th 2015, 12:30am

I think air BAGS for the front of an AWD would take some fabbing and re-engineering. Just no place to put the bags.

Air SHOCKS, on the other hand, should be relatively easy, esp in an AWD since the shocks are exposed. Remove a shock, measure it's collapsed and extended length and note it's attachment/mount scheme. Then go to the shock websites. They all have charts showing all the possible dimensions and mount styles.

If you're lifting, take that into account when doing the triangle geometry to measure the shocks.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby nobodyhome1313 » December 22nd 2015, 8:08am

Thanks Lump, looks like I'm going Rancho 9000.
nobodyhome1313
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: nobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full yearsnobodyhome1313 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003

Postby Lumpy » December 22nd 2015, 4:39pm

nobodyhome1313 wrote:
... looks like I'm going Rancho 9000.

In that case, here's the Rancho 9000 part numbers I have installed in my 89. They've fit everything from stock to "a lot bigger than stock"

This is for REAR WHEEL DRIVE. The rear shocks should be exactly the same but the fronts will differ (I think?) -

Rancho RS999166 (FRONT)
Rancho RS999147 (REAR)
Rancho RS999705 (MyRide wireless controller. Those part numbers are all the same for any 9000 shock)

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):