Just ordered JOR 2-5" kit - Lift questions

Just ordered JOR 2-5" kit - Lift questions

Postby yohuallin [OP] » February 26th 2016, 7:35pm

So i finally took the plunge and ordered a kit. This is what i ordered, the 2-5" kit:

http://journeysoffroad.com/awd-astrosaf ... -kits.html

Eventually I will add an add-a-leaf kit. Click and Scroll down to see it.

http://journeysoffroad.com/astrosafari- ... ories.html

My question here is, with that kit, the add-a-leaf, and turning the stock torsion keys to level things out, what size tires could i fit. Im trying to figure this out so i can order it everything. Going on a trip this sunday for 10 days and would like to have all the parts by the time i get home.

Could i get away with 245/70/16? I dont mind trimming and cutting some things. I just want to make sure there is not other major modification needed to fit those tires.

This is on a 2004 btw.

Thanks.
Attachments
12744267_1654586474766358_3131362697859352806_n.jpg
Thats the van in question.
Original Poster [OP]
yohuallin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: yohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 5
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • pair of JOR Shackles
    by lupulinshift » March 30th 2021, 1:49am in Lifted Suspension
    1 Replies
    Last post by MI_Ghost View the latest post
    April 2nd 2021, 4:28pm
  • Shocks replacement necessary with lift kit?
    by wilsc449 » November 27th 2020, 11:05pm in Lifted Suspension
    8 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    December 29th 2020, 8:31pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 17th 2021, 4:20am

Re: Just ordered JOR 2-5" kit - Lift questions

Postby b00duh » February 26th 2016, 7:41pm

depends on how much of a lift you want to do on it. According to overland vans, you can fit 29" tires with their 2" lift; then the 4" lift can fit 30" - 31" tires.
b00duh
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Fueling (7/8 tank)
Years of Membership: b00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full yearsb00duh has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE AWD

Postby 97cargocrawler » February 26th 2016, 7:55pm

In my opinion you're doing it *** backwards. Buy the wheels/tires you want and lift the van accordingly. The wheels/tires are the most important thing on the vehicle. You will either end up with a wheel combo that doesn't quite fit the look with a lift or you will compromise and end up cutting the **** out of your fenders.

I have always bought one test wheel of my desired brand and size and lifted the van to fit.

This question is soooooo :animals-deadhorse:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Lumpy » February 26th 2016, 9:06pm

97cargocrawler wrote:In my opinion you're doing it *** backwards. Buy the wheels/tires you want and lift the van accordingly. The wheels/tires are the most important thing on the vehicle. You will either end up with a wheel combo that doesn't quite fit the look with a lift or you will compromise and end up cutting the **** out of your fenders.

I have always bought one test wheel of my desired brand and size and lifted the van to fit.

That, That and That.

Consider these two scenarios -

1) "I think my van would look ideal if I lifted it an additional 1" to balance the look"

vs

2) "I think my van would look ideal if I made the tires 1" smaller to balance the look"

Which one seems easier?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby yohuallin [OP] » February 26th 2016, 9:13pm

97cargocrawler wrote:In my opinion you're doing it *** backwards. Buy the wheels/tires you want and lift the van accordingly. The wheels/tires are the most important thing on the vehicle. You will either end up with a wheel combo that doesn't quite fit the look with a lift or you will compromise and end up cutting the **** out of your fenders.

In my case I dont want to take any other route to the lift to begin with, and then isnt these kits somewhat adjustable. I dont really have the need to run 31" tires, but if 30 or 29 is not ideal for my set up then that would be the case.

I dont really see what the issue is with lifting the van, and then comparing the tires to the current height once is lifted...

Nways, thank you for the answer.
Original Poster [OP]
yohuallin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: yohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full yearsyohuallin has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » February 26th 2016, 9:35pm

That JOR kit is really starting to annoy me. You're not going to get 4 or 5" with that kit in front, you be lucky to get 3" with your bars cranked hard. You can fit 235/75R15 with a 2" lift and a wee bit of rub and of course that's gonna depend on what tire/wheel combo you get.
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Corsemoto » February 26th 2016, 9:48pm

With 2" lift (2" spacers, Airbagit lift shackles and slight torsion bar adjustment), 235/70-16 (29.3" diameter) fit on my 2004 with some bumper cover trimming/clearance in the front.

For a larger diameter tire you'll need more lift and/or clearance work. A 245/70-16 is closer to 30" than 29".

How much additional ride height you can gain from torsion lift depends on how sagged out your torsion bars are and how much you really want crank to angle the control arms. I saw as much as 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" with the stock torsion keys at or nearly maxed out.

If you're adjusting the torsion keys more than a slight amount, don't forget the alignment when you're done.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby yohuallin [OP] » February 26th 2016, 10:04pm

Corsemoto wrote:With 2" lift (2" spacers, Airbagit lift shackles and slight torsion bar adjustment), 235/70-16 (29.3" diameter) fit on my 2004 with some bumper cover trimming/clearance in the front.

For a larger diameter tire you'll need more lift and/or clearance work. A 245/70-16 is closer to 30" than 29".

How much additional ride height you can gain from torsion lift depends on how sagged out your torsion bars are and how much you really want crank to angle the control arms. I saw as much as 1 1/2" - 1 3/4" with the stock torsion keys at or nearly maxed out.

If you're adjusting the torsion keys more than a slight amount, don't forget the alignment when you're done.

thanks for the answer!
Original Poster [OP]
yohuallin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » February 26th 2016, 11:17pm

yohuallin wrote:
I dont really see what the issue is with lifting the van, and then comparing the tires to the current height once is lifted...

Clearly you don't.

What's the purpose of your lift?

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby HotWire » February 27th 2016, 2:21am

My 2003 AWD is lifted 3" in front with 2" pucks and !" cranked tbars, 4.5" rear with add-a-leaf and shackle. I have 245/70/16 and should've gone 245/74/16.

245/70/16 fit for me easy. Very slight trim on bumper cover. My tires do add 1-1/2" of ride height.
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD