planning my 2003 AWD lift

planning my 2003 AWD lift

Postby rinigado [OP] » March 31st 2016, 10:59pm

after hanging around this site for a while, I'm jealous of all you lifted van people, so I'm gathering parts and making a plan to start to copy what's been done here before without going too extreme.

So far I'm planning to install:

- s-10 22-687 springs from SDTruckSprings
- steel top plate from ballistic to replace the stock clamshell
- new u bolts to hold things where they should be
- spring shackles from autozone
- probably/maybe pinion shims as needed

- front new prothane poly frame bushings
- front zone offroad lift pucks (3" dia. x 2" high)
- will fiddle with torsion bar adjustments to raise/level things a little more, but not planning for new keys unless back end sits up awfully high

- a trip to the JY to find an extra steering shaft (is this likely needed for 2" lift pucks?)

Also I guess I'll replace shocks as needed..will relocate rear bottom shock mounting point and maybe even do Lump's fancy cut-the-shock-mount-and-bend-it-up trick.

I'll get underneath and confirm the axle diameter, but it seems like it's 2 3/4 diameter from the threads here. So it seems like Rock Auto Husky Spring USB048R u-bolts are the right bolts to use. Which then also means ballistic top plates with 2 1/2" spring width and 2 3/4 tube diameter are the right choice of top plate for the springs. Sound right?
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Re: planning my 2003 AWD lift

Postby Lumpy » March 31st 2016, 11:30pm

All sounds good to me.

The "Bend up the shock mount" thing is not my invention, I copied someone else on some forum.

Steering shaft - You can pull yours now and see how much you've got engaged and estimate what it will be like with 2" less.

Rear U-bolts and plates - You'll need to grind a little metal off the bump stop mount to get one of the U bolts to clear. Not much. Simple to do.

Don't forget new, longer bolts for the front mounts. Whatever's in there now, add 50mm/2" for a 2 inch lift. Stock is -
(4) M12 - 1.75 x 96 Front & Rear
(2) M14 - 2.00 x 96 Center

When you install the poly bushings up front, you can mount them one of two ways. One half of the bushing pair is taller than the other. Mount the taller half on top and you get a little more lift.

And the usual extras, eBrake brack redrill, fan shroud, differential vent hose and rear brake center hose fitting (drop those down a couple inches with some kind of bracket).

When you're finished you'll have a really good, adjustable lift. You'll be able to raise/lower the front or rear (torsion adjust or shackles) to fine tune the level, rake, butt drag, whichever you prefer.

Um...take pics... :rockon:

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby AstroWill » April 1st 2016, 12:03am

The top plate and u-bolts that I used are listed viewtopic.php?f=127&t=11729&start=200#p722618 if you want to save some $.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 1st 2016, 12:13am

Sounds good to me too..not too sure about the Autozone shackles though. Any Chevy/GMC "drop" shackle should work. I think airbaggit shackles are popular..
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby WimpTech » April 1st 2016, 1:02am

Need a quick sanity check guys...

The PN for the rear springs he has listed is for 1982-1994... is that right, or should he match the year for his 2003?

Thanks!!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 1st 2016, 2:16am

hope they're useful springs..I already ordered them :shock:
specs for the springs are 26x28 with 7 1/2 arch, 1350 lb caqpacity
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » April 1st 2016, 2:26am

They're S-10 springs, not Astro springs. So the years don't particularly correlate.

ALL S-10 springs fit our vans, as long as we have steel spring hangers and shackles.

95-04 S-10 springs were lower weight capacity rating and thinner. First gen S-10 springs (82-94) came with more options and were heavier duty.

They are all 26x28 by 2-1/2 inch.

Some have larger or smaller end eyes but once you insert the appropriate eye bushing, the ID of the bolt holes are all the same.

So generally, first gen S-10 springs are stronger. Which is odd because the later pickups came with bigger (heavier) engines stock or option.

All applies to S-10 - S-15 - S-10 Blazer - S-15 Jimmy

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstroWill » April 1st 2016, 2:27am

The springs will be fine, I bought a used set of the 22-687 HD(referenced in link above or below) without the overload.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Mmusicman » April 1st 2016, 2:32am

rinigado wrote:after hanging around this site for a while, I'm jealous of all you lifted van people, so I'm gathering parts and making a plan to start to copy what's been done here before without going too extreme.

Welcome to the MADNESS!!!
Looking forward to watching your build!
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby WimpTech » April 1st 2016, 5:10pm

OK cool, thanks for the confirmation everyone... just wanted to be sure.

Lump- awesome info as always, I will likely go this route when I get tired of my old saggy ass-end.
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 2nd 2016, 8:12am

Ordered my springs, and they're now on the way. Frame bushings also on the way. It's a race! I'm guessing I'll start with the backend first once I get the remaining parts sorted out and shipped. For spring plates and u bolts, I know I'll order something that gets around a 2.75" axle, but I'll need to look under the van tomorrow and see how wide the factory perches are before I order the u bolt plates. It looks from other threads (e.g. "Build your own pack") that the perch is wider than the 2.5" spring and slightly off center? I guess with a center pin locating the spring, the width between bolt holes wouldn't need to be so strictly 2.5"? Is a little wider than 2.5" spacing on the plate going to be needed?
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 2nd 2016, 9:06am

Say what? It just works. Don't worry. I have the same stuff. I did have to file the holes in my top plate ever so slightly to get the u-bolts through. Just a few minutes with a rat tail file. But I also used 5/8" bolts...so anything smaller will probably be fine.

97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby AstroWill » April 2nd 2016, 8:14pm

The wider spring perch is only on vans that had the composite leaf springs.

The plate is ordered by the width of the springs and the diameter of the axle.

AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 3rd 2016, 5:43am

AstroWill wrote:The plate is ordered by the width of the springs and the diameter of the axle.

ok, looking at it, I see what you all mean now.

But one other question regarding this..to allow clearance for the new u-bolt, is it correct to assume I'd grind away this area of the perch (the bit circled in red, where the original bolt goes through)? Or is it drilled in a place that allows a 2 3/4" bend u-bolt to fit in the original bolt hole and still get around the axle?

perch1.jpg
perch1.jpg (58.49 KiB) Viewed 2027 times
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » April 3rd 2016, 5:53am

Grind it so the new U bolts can sit up flush with the sides of the seats.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 3rd 2016, 6:20am

Lumpy wrote:Grind it so the new U bolts can sit up flush with the sides of the seats.

Lump

makes sense..and just now looking at some pictures you posted in the past, seems like that area was removed back flush to both the axle and the perch.
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » April 3rd 2016, 2:16pm

Mine was also that extra wide seat, designed for fiberglass leaves.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Alias (AKA):

Postby HotWire » April 4th 2016, 5:28am

Only pic I have of mine on my phone. Hopefully it shows up for you. If not, I can upload from computer tomorrow.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_0110.JPG
Last edited by HotWire on April 5th 2016, 2:21am, edited 1 time in total.
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 4th 2016, 6:01am

any recommendation on u-bolt diameter for the rear? Rock auto has some at 7/16, many others are 1/2, and some at 5/8 diameter. Is 5/8 overkill? unneccesary strain on my feeble arms when torquing?
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 4th 2016, 7:53am

HotWire wrote:Only pic I have of mine on my phone. Hopefully it shows up for you. If not, I can upload from computer tomorrow.

Hope this helps.

it all helps. Did you find the polyurethane pads under the spring packs to be an improvement over rubber?
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Next