planning my 2003 AWD lift

Re: planning my 2003 AWD lift

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 8th 2016, 8:18pm

the springs, as supplied, have the the center bolts with head on top and nut on the bottom of the pack. It'd be simple enough to create a bushing, but if it's typical to have the nut up top, then I suppose I could also swap with a couple of new bolts, put in with the nut on top, and find or turn a bushing for the nut-side of the assembly. I'd assume the pin isn't under all that much torque and is mostly to position the leaves in the pack?

Here is the pin on the bottom
spring1.jpg
spring1.jpg (52.95 KiB) Viewed 1186 times

and view from top of the spring.
spring2.jpg
spring2.jpg (52.07 KiB) Viewed 1186 times
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author

Postby Lumpy » April 8th 2016, 9:51pm

HotWire wrote:
...I feel the nut definitely locates the spring on the axle pad...

The nut is on the opposite side of the leaf pack from the axle pad.. :shrug:

The stock clamshell hole is much larger than the nut on the top side.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 8th 2016, 11:54pm

Nut goes on top of the spring pack, facing the sky. But it really don't make a **** of difference as long as you can assemble the entire thing with the surface of the springs in full contact with the perch and plates, FLUSH. Usually the spring bolt is much longer than needed, hence why the nut is on top.

Im curious about those Autozone shackles. What is the thickness of the steel?
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 9th 2016, 7:38pm

97cargocrawler wrote:Im curious about those Autozone shackles. What is the thickness of the steel?

here you go:

shackledimensions1.jpg
shackledimensions1.jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

about 0.185" so roughly 8 ga steel before the powder coat I guess.

top bushing width here:

shackledimensions2.jpg
shackledimensions2.jpg (70.18 KiB) Viewed 1140 times
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Years of Membership: rinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full yearsrinigado has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby HotWire » April 9th 2016, 8:07pm

Those look nicer than I imagined.
HotWire
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: HotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full yearsHotWire has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA): Nick
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 10th 2016, 6:37am

I'll have to wait to see how everything fits together. UPS lost one of my leaf springs :cry: SD Truck Springs at least was good about it; they're shipping another spring while UPS tries to figure out where they misplaced the 4 foot long 40lb hunk of metal.
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » April 11th 2016, 7:00pm

rinigado wrote:picked up a set of lowering shackles at autozone this evening.

DOOOOOD! What's the part number for that and how much? Did it come with bushings?
:thumbup:
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 21st 2016, 4:49pm

sorry for the slow reply.. been waiting for the last of my lift parts, and busy enough not to check on the forums lately.. the Autozone part for the shackles is # 13-4100 "Superior Automotive Suspension Lift/Lower Kit". It has bushings already pressed in.
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Maxximum_44 » April 21st 2016, 7:40pm

Just a heads up on the Autozone shackles. If you look closely you can see that after the top hole where the leaf spring attaches, it starts to get narrow, so they would not be adjustable. If two inch lift is what your looking, that's what you'll get, you'll be fine. Also, you'll need to add washers on both ends of the bushing to fill the gap as they are not wide enough . I bought these a few years ago for lift after seeing the success another member on here had with them. When I tried to install them I saw that moving up a hole or two was not possible so I tossed them to the side.
03 - Astro - AWD - 4.36L V6 - Original - Motor/Trans-New Exhaust-
Maxximum_44
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Maxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full yearsMaxximum_44 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): Maxx
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

Postby rinigado [OP] » April 22nd 2016, 5:48am

Maxximum_44 wrote:I saw that moving up a hole or two was not possible

you mean you wanted...less lift? :shrug:
Original Poster [OP]
rinigado
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Fueling (5/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WimpTech » April 22nd 2016, 5:37pm

rinigado wrote:sorry for the slow reply.. been waiting for the last of my lift parts, and busy enough not to check on the forums lately.. the Autozone part for the shackles is # 13-4100 "Superior Automotive Suspension Lift/Lower Kit". It has bushings already pressed in.

No worries, I already have mine from OLV/ airbaggit.com, but am helping someone do a non-OLV lift on a budget.

Thank you bud!
WimpTech - Precision Guesswork... Questionable Results.

My Van Build: viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714
My Other Van: http://www.vcvc.org/showthread.php/3013 ... ersion-Van
WimpTech
Years of Membership: WimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full yearsWimpTech has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): =Wimpy=
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: AWD 3+1 Lift

Postby Leejin » April 26th 2016, 11:28pm

Wimpazz wrote:
rinigado wrote:sorry for the slow reply.. been waiting for the last of my lift parts, and busy enough not to check on the forums lately.. the Autozone part for the shackles is # 13-4100 "Superior Automotive Suspension Lift/Lower Kit". It has bushings already pressed in.

No worries, I already have mine from OLV/ airbaggit.com, but am helping someone do a non-OLV lift on a budget.

Thank you bud!

I just bought my springs and shocks for a diy lift. Where are you buying the body lift pucks?
Leejin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Leejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD rattled 2 death

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 27th 2016, 12:18am

Leejin wrote:Where are you buying the body lift pucks?

Amazon. Search

Zone Offroad Bulk 2" Tall x 3" Wide Body Lift Block OR

Zone Offroad Bulk 3" Tall x 3" Wide Body Lift Block (if you got the nerve)

Search this site too.
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years

Postby Corsemoto » April 27th 2016, 12:53am

Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Leejin » April 27th 2016, 1:19am

97cargocrawler wrote:
Leejin wrote:Where are you buying the body lift pucks?

Amazon. Search

Zone Offroad Bulk 2" Tall x 3" Wide Body Lift Block OR

Zone Offroad Bulk 3" Tall x 3" Wide Body Lift Block (if you got the nerve)

Search this site too.

What do you mean by got the nerve?
Is 3 inches out of the question, or what?
Leejin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: Leejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full yearsLeejin has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Corsemoto » April 27th 2016, 1:40am

3" body lift isn't "bolt-on" like 2", requires quite a bit more work.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby Leejin » April 27th 2016, 1:50am

Ahh.. new steering shaft and re centering torsion bars right?
Leejin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » April 27th 2016, 8:47am

Recentering torsion bars? I dunno what you mean by that.

Lumpy and I both have 4" body lifts. 6" has been done here too. Got the nerve..I mean the skills, patience and desire.
97cargocrawler

Postby Lumpy » April 27th 2016, 2:53pm

97cargocrawler wrote:
Lumpy and I both have 4" body lifts...

I have 4-1/8. As soon as I heard you did 4, I bumped mine up.

Doing a lift is not "Give me the instructions and the parts". It's re-designing and re-engineering a vehicle that was never designed to be that way. And YOU are the new designer/engineer. It's about UNDERSTANDING what each part does and UNDERSTANDING why you're replacing it with bigger, taller, shorter or moving it over THERE. There is not just one way to lift a van. Each person doing a lift has to understand why his approach is different than THAT guy's approach.

Buying a kit is not a substitute for understanding all that. If you haven't crawled under your van, many, many times, and gone through the thought process of "First I'll remove that bolt there and here's why" and done that for every change you'll make, you're not doing it right. You'll be suprised, frustrated, infuriated, might get hurt, will probably take unsafe shortcuts just to "get it done 'cause I'm sick and tired of how slow this is going".

Evaluate a sub-section at a time. Rear leaves, for example. Evaluate just the REAR shackle/hanger. Crawl under yours and see what wrenches and sockets fit it. See if the nuts and bolts are frozen. Read the DOZENS of threads about how other people have done their shackle/hangers. Become an expert in YOUR shackles/hangers so that you are confident in your own mind that what you are doing is the best way (for you), safe, and achieves the goal you're looking for. If, instead, you buy what are billed as "Two inch lift shackles" and then go out one Saturday morning and crawl under there for the first time and start thinking "Ok what do the directions say" two things will happen - 1) You'll take 10x longer than you thought to get it done and 2) you'll be disappointed to learn that you really don't get 2" of lift (which you would have realized if you'd done your homework... :nono: ).

EVERY performance related activity (athletic events, musical performance, acting, roofing, sewing, painting, anything) involves the performer mentally going through the motions before the performance. Rebuilding your car is absolutely no different. Know exactly what you're going to do, where you're going to lay, what hand you're going to use on the wrench, BEFORE you do it.

"I don't have the skills or knowledge so I'm buying a kit" means "I don't want to do the mental pre-work". The former is not a substitute for the latter. EVERY person who has bought a kit has substituted some parts, added some parts, left out some parts. And every one of them has said, once finished "Wow I could have done all this for 1/4 the cost by just buying the parts I need, separately".

Now get to work, future lifters. Go do a mental lift on your van.

Lump - Mentalist
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby Leejin » April 27th 2016, 5:59pm

Thanks Lump.
Or, I'll just buy parts others have proven to work and go throw them on the van.
But I see your point.
Leejin
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):

PreviousNext