Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Frame swap / bench racing

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Astrox2 
#1 ·
OK so my 92 has some floor rust over the body frame. I guess that's what its called.
Anyway was thinking how to repair. If it had a regular frame would not be a huge deal.
Anyone ever try to swap in a regular 2wd frame from another vehicle?

#2 ·
I'm thinking it may have been done, on a "price is no object/show poodle" kind of build but I have to imagine that it would be a huge undertaking. Certainly more involved than just fixing what you already have or finding a donor van and Frankensteining the two into one good van. Relatively rust-free shells are (sadly) still being crushed almost daily due to mechanical or financial issues (Which makes no sense to me when you figure that many could be saved for less than 10 payments on a "newer" vehicle).
What do you need this van to do for you? Daily driver? Probably not worth a frame swap but certainly worth putting $2-3000 into. It's up to you to decide what this van is worth to you and what it's worth to put it back into safe, driveable condition.
-M!ke-

#3 ·
Setting a unibody on a pickup frame has been done for ages, Mostly to gain 4wd capability in a vehicle otherwise not equipped. Had an elcamino like that long ago.

#4 ·
Yea a K5 blazer frame with 4x4 has been done I think a few times
I've got too many projects
I've got a 63 corvair. And you can set those on a Monte Carlo frame. Little bit of metal work but has been accomplished quite a few times
Its the same wheel base.
S10 trucks are being scrapped daily for their frame's
The yard scrapped the van I was gonna get parts off of. Which is why I am on the edge
Scrap the van. Save the van.
There's a thread somewhere in the interweb a guy built a whole new square tube frame on a early handi van. Mid 60s gm van for those who are not familiar.
Anything can be done with time and money
A square tubed pro touring shorty astro
I think that would be pretty freakin awesome :banana:

#5 ·
Oh and the astro being scrapped daily thing
I believe if they would have optioned a V8
Even just one of those caprice 265 or the 305
There would probably be more around
I dunno. Like I said. Just bench racing
Scrap it. I'm a wheel lover . can't do that.
Sell it won't get much for it with the floor
Keep it engine and trans have 93000. And I mean clean!!! No leaks ever

#6 ·
It would probably be cheaper to pick up a clean Astro with blown engine or transmission, 1st gen are cheap as dirt, and swap your engine/transmission into it and keep the rest for spare parts.

#7 ·
I haven't been able to find another first gen short cargo. I can find 2nd gen. All day long
Just found a 96 that has a blown engine at least that's what they said. But the 4.3 won't swap :banghead:
Be perfect for my V8 swap I'm planning
Gotta sell a toy to get another toy
I'm gonna see what they will take for the 96

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.