Leftspring Helpers?

Leftspring Helpers?

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 20th 2011, 2:09am

Anyone ever use these on any application?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hellwig- ... 1c1856bcb5

I was looking to help my rear springs out a little. The Van sits pretty level, but once you start moving the back end sinks down. My rear leafs/shocks must be pretty weak cause my bump stops are almost broken off were the suspension is riding on them when the Van is moving.
I also wanna do a 2" lift later this summer/fall with 29" tires...nothing crazy to start with, so I think the leaf spring helpers may be the ticket to just "help" my tired leaf springs out until I bite the bullet and get better(also more lift) leaf springs in a year or so when I go 4" lift..... :think:

So, will those helpers keep my back end up? Or should I just go with coil overs like I have in my '93 & I know they work good.

Nick :chevy:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Re: Leftspring Helpers?

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » January 20th 2011, 2:23am

I wouldn't waste my time or money on "helpers". I had a set years ago and while they do lift and help they put a funny torque on the existing springs, pressure where none was meant to be. For less than that $100 you could go to the JY and get additional leaves, the auto parts store for new u-bolts and be done with it. With the money you save get some beer and invite a real helper! :clap:
Last edited by WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! on January 20th 2011, 4:12am, edited 1 time in total.
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 20th 2011, 2:55am

So, I have never messed with leaf springs before.... :shhh: If I find another set of leaf springs I can combined 4 or 5 out of the bunch to make one and that will add the lift I want just like that. Cause if its that easy I am off to the junkyard and ripping those stock ones out soon. Or maybe even just browsing craigslist. My big thing is I don't wanna drop $300 on leafsprings right now. So, if I can put two used stock sets together somehow I will do that. How much trouble is it opening up the leafsprings?
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years

Postby kennyj » January 20th 2011, 4:05am

When it gets warmer you should come down to the pic-n-pull in Rockford. We can have a j/y gathering. :banana-wrench: Maybe we can even find 355 and rattle his cage. :lol:
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby WoodButcherWoodButcher is online! » January 20th 2011, 4:51am

Mr_Bowtie wrote:So, I have never messed with leaf springs before.... :shhh: If I find another set of leaf springs I can combined 4 or 5 out of the bunch to make one and that will add the lift I want just like that. Cause if its that easy I am off to the junkyard and ripping those stock ones out soon. Or maybe even just browsing craigslist. My big thing is I don't wanna drop $300 on leafsprings right now. So, if I can put two used stock sets together somehow I will do that. How much trouble is it opening up the leafsprings?

Easy. I got about 2" of lift with added leaves and it rides hard when empty which my van never is. IIRC the top leaf and bottom are the only two that are stock. I did this to the rear of my kid's jeep and the full size chevy I had before this as well in a similar way. I got leaves from the JY that I thought would fit in took mine apart then mix and match, easy... Before buying leaves measure what is on your van, lift the body and let the axle hang, measure the length, width and arch. Thickness is important but not critical. You want leaves with more arch than you have. If you replace what you have with the same number slightly heavier / thicker more arch you'll probably get what you want. You'll need to replace the bolt that holds the pack together in the center with a longer one as well as the ubolts.
WoodButcherWoodButcher is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby icebrrg3rd » January 20th 2011, 5:27pm

kennyj wrote:When it gets warmer you should come down to the pic-n-pull in Rockford. We can have a j/y gathering. :banana-wrench: Maybe we can even find 355 and rattle his cage. :lol:

So, what are the prices for leaf springs in Rockford? I'd need the whole steel leaf set-up to replace my fiberglass ones. Maybe even find a G-80 rear...

Can't wait for nicer weather.

-Andrew

Coming soon...AstroSafari Junkyard Meet 2011!!!
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby kennyj » January 20th 2011, 7:22pm

So, what are the prices for leaf springs in Rockford?

On their price list it says leaf spring - $24.99 + $2 core.
http://www.lkqselfserve.com/FindaLocati ... fault.aspx
kennyj
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Blue Status (L2)
Blue Status (L2)
Years of Membership: kennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full yearskennyj has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Kenny
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: 250k+ miles

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 21st 2011, 3:12am

^Oh ya we got have a junkyard run this spring/summer! :rockon:
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby workinVan » January 22nd 2011, 3:56pm

hey when you do finally do the lift let me know and i'll help out, i'll even bring my own BFH,
I do have an associate in slinger with a lift in his garage, don't forget the beer. ;)
2000 cargo 4.3 v6 W rwd, a/c, G80, silverstars, hood struts, magnaflow cat
and a big honkin air filter....possibly for sale make an offer
workinVan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: workinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): notjim
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd cargo

Postby Munken » January 22nd 2011, 7:22pm

Now I´m envious, why don´t I live in US? First a JY run and then I could bring MY FBFH and bang on the side of the "100 Dollar Baby" while you fix the leaves.
To Ohare it´s $850 and only 9 hour, so that is no problem.
The hassle is that I'm going to Thailand this summer for the birth of the new kid.

Maybe next year.................... :crying:

"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 23rd 2011, 2:33am

workinVan wrote:hey when you do finally do the lift let me know and i'll help out, i'll even bring my own BFH,
I do have an associate in slinger with a lift in his garage, don't forget the beer. ;)

Score!......I will definatly be contacting you when the time comes! I will bring lots of beer! We should put a lift on your Van while we are at it! :rockon:

My good buddy who lives in IL bought a '99 Safari AWD & is thinking about lifting it too. So, hopefully I will inspire him with my lift. :D

Munken that would be awesome! You can put a dent in my $100 Van! :lol:
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Munken » January 23rd 2011, 7:49am

My idea was to make it symmetric, bang a dent on the sliding door side....... :D

"Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer"
Munken
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: Munken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full yearsMunken has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Munken the lunatic
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Mr_Bowtie [OP] » January 23rd 2011, 3:57pm

Then it would look like it got double T-boned! :rockon:
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
Original Poster [OP]
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement