silly question about rear end gwvr capacity

silly question about rear end gwvr capacity

Postby interestingfellow [OP] » March 1st 2011, 3:18pm

OK, I got a whole 86 astro for $200 with the intentions of swapping off the straight parts to my daily driver, and turning the carcas into a trailer. I've already made my money by swapping the slider, which is $250 at any local junkyard. My issue is, scrap metal is $9/100#, which translates to about $400+, and it wouldn't be the greatest candidate to tow around all the time. SO, in a few days, I'll be scrapping it, it's just too hard to resist.

I intend on ending up with an enclosed trailer, and don't mind getting dirty. $400+ dollars translates into a lot of sheet and scrap metal to build a (low taxed "home built") enclosed trailer. What do you think about using the rear end out of the 86 (metal leaf spring) with maybe a set of gabriel high jackers to stiffen it up (<$50 on the internet)?

It would end up 6x14ish (or smaller) feet with a V nose, to maximize space, single axle. I estimate 10 sheets of 20g sheet metal (#45/sheet 4'x8'), about #300 of wood, and another #200 of angle/structure = about #1k empty. Add on another #2k of tools and cabinets and you end up with #3000 rolling down the road. I do not plan on hauling any significant material, but about +#500 of ladders/walk boards, 4 times a year. These are all overestimated weights, for engineering purposes.

Thoughts?
There are no stupid questions, only a whole lot of inquisitive idiots.
Stupidity should be painful.
Original Poster [OP]
interestingfellow
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: interestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: Cargo A-team

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • helper spring rear end lift
    by fellowtraveler » September 16th 2020, 4:17am in Stock Suspension
    6 Replies
    Last post by MechBob View the latest post
    September 17th 2020, 5:32am
  • Questions on Astro Rear end Decisions
    by pasdriz1234 » October 29th 2020, 12:12am in Stock Suspension
    8 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    October 31st 2020, 12:59am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    December 1st 2020, 4:46pm

Re: silly question about rear end gwvr capacity

Postby chevymaher » March 1st 2011, 4:51pm

Woodbutcher I believe would be the one to ask.I am pretty sure he uses his van to the limit for work.Loading it down till it threatening to break in half.There another 4 wheel drive van on here Forget who owns it.Nice van and he cuts wood it loaded till you cant shut the doors just about.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby paintdrying » March 1st 2011, 6:44pm

Let us think coolness and style first off. There is nothing cooler than having a matching trailer pulled behind your van. People really get a kick out of seeing things like that. Now lets look at the nuts and bolts of labor and value. 400 dollars is a good deal of money and this may be the wisest thing to do. Or very shortsighted. All is not well with the Chinese economy, if it crashes your 400 dollars could easily turn into 200 or less. IMO the price of steel is going to continue to climb, or the value of the dollar will continue to fall, however you chose to look at it.
In the end, anyway you want to look at it, your best bet is to keep the van and make that your trailer.
1999 chevy astro van awd ls 108,000 miles
parts van 2000 astro rwd 279,000 miles
paintdrying
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: paintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full yearspaintdrying has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 94
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 108 000

Postby Gary » March 1st 2011, 6:47pm

Not sure what your state rules are for custom/home build trailers.Here in NYS I own two trailers.One dual axle 12' enclosed trailer and one gull wing single axle custom vendor enclosed trailer that I bought on a bill of sale.The title application for the custom trailer took a yr to get a title inspection appointment with the threat that if anything was found on the trailer as being stolen,it would be impounded and I would be arrested on the spot.I paid $130.00 for the inspection and then had to wait another 3 wks to get the title after it passed.I suggest you call your DMV to find out what they want for a title or if one is required.After I went threw what I did with my customs vendor trailer I swore I would never do that again not matter what a good deal it might look like.

In terms of a trailer axle,you get how wide you want to build and you will finds deals for trailer axles out there that are not that expensive.I suggest that would be a better route for you to go in the long run.
Gary
Dearly Departed
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Gary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full yearsGary has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 136
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: high top

Postby interestingfellow [OP] » March 1st 2011, 8:39pm

I LOVE the custom matching trailer idea, I do. But I also like the idea of a more usable, custom size trailer that would still fit well with the (un)aerodynamics of my astro. On top of that, I'll be able to walk into the trailer and use it as a mobile shop, when I'm working on various projects (speaker boxes, fixing amps or computers, etc). Also, I'll still have to get $200 in parts/sheetmetal, weld up the windows, front, and A frame (easy, but that has to look good, too!), and the doors on it will be the banged up barn doors (I can deal with that) but also the decrepit sliding door from my daily driver (which had a habit of coming out of the top track, jumping off the rear track, and has a frozen, flattened lower wheel).
Realistically, it will probably be 6' headroom, 6' wide, and 12' from hitch to bumper. I've got it designed in my mind, and most of the cutting/bending will be done for next to nothing from the body shop I'm getting the sheet metal from. The unassembled frame/axle, I can throw in my existing "trailer" (what's left of my 86 chevy c10 truck/bed), drag over to my friends house, and have him weld it up for free (well, a favor card). Hitch it to my astro (small town/police not a problem), drag it to my yard, and rivet most of the upper together (there will be foam insulation and luon/1/4 ply involved on the inside), which means I can do most of that fabricating in my yard without a welder.

As far as titling a home built trailer.... ehm, I've been through that before, and know how to deal with it (we'll leave it at that).

I do really appreciate all the opinions. So, please, don't let me discourage anyone.
There are no stupid questions, only a whole lot of inquisitive idiots.
Stupidity should be painful.
Original Poster [OP]
interestingfellow
Years of Membership: interestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full yearsinterestingfellow has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: Cargo A-team