Front Shock Compatibility

Front Shock Compatibility

Postby youngjohn [OP] » March 13th 2011, 2:30pm

Hi all,
I've been reading the older posts on front suspension parts, especially the bit about swapping in springs from a G30 van. I'm not looking to swap out the springs, but I do want to replace my shock absorbers. I've noticed that Bilsteins for a 1980s G30 go for 60 bucks right now from an online Canadian supplier, while Bilsteins for my 96' Astro are 150 each. There is a slight size difference between the two, with the G30s listed as being slightly thicker and shorter than the Astro models. Does anyone know if I could use these shocks with my stock springs? I'm okay with a bit of stiffer ride, and am mostly wondering if the G30 shocks will fit inside the stock springs so as to save money and still get a good Bilstein part. There was an exchange about this very thing in the above-mentioned topic, but the issue didn't seem to resolve either way. If anyone who has changed their shocks can remember how much space there is inside the coils, that might tell me if the somewhat shorter and fatter shocks might work. Conversely, if anyone knows of other models/year shocks that would fit a 96' Astro, advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks!
DIrty Old Town: '96 Astro with extra rear leaf, overload springs all over, LT235/75/15s and 250 000 km. Regularly used to haul 1500-2000 lbs of renovation waste for short periods of time.
Original Poster [OP]
youngjohn
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: youngjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • right front upper control arm
    by baily144 » July 1st 2020, 6:33pm in Stock Suspension
    8 Replies
    Last post by Mmusicman View the latest post
    July 31st 2020, 12:52am
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    October 27th 2020, 9:37am

Re: Front Shock Compatibility

Postby redfury » March 13th 2011, 2:52pm

I can't say for certain since the AWD vans front shocks are SUPER EASY to R&R unlike the 2wd counterpart, but from the front shocks I've done on other cars, I think the only problem you will have with the short shocks is going to be suspension travel DOWN, which would probably only problematic to the shocks when servicing the vehicle or if you end up hitting a bump that throws the front end up enough to reach the travel limits of the shock...all which could lead to a broken shock in the worst case scenario.

That's if the bore of the shock will physically fit up into the shock hole.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full yearsredfury has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby alexalexanders » March 14th 2011, 2:26am

I would go to a parts store and compare a g30 shock to a astro shock. They will probably let you take them out of the boxes to look at them. :2: :2:
ImageImage
2000 GMC Safari SLE
alexalexanders
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: alexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full yearsalexalexanders has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 80
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3 Vortec

Postby JaxSPL » March 14th 2011, 4:05am

I got an '89 astro so this may not be relevant . I looked at the G30 shock compared to the Astro shocks on O'reilly's website. Each one cost $102.99, but model numbers were different. What I did notice is the Astro has bar mount. The G30 did not.

I got Gabriel Guardian shocks. Doubt they'll be any good. hehe
"Installer's Nightmare" has officially come to life. Only 1 sub, but loud and clear.
Subwoofer enclosure designer. PM For More Info
JaxSPL
Years of Membership: JaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full yearsJaxSPL has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 45
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 SPL

Postby youngjohn [OP] » March 15th 2011, 4:10am

Comparing them in-store is a good idea, even if I end up ordering the part online. Even better would be to get the two shocks, and an Astro spring, to see how they fit inside...
Dang, maybe I should just buy the Ranchos for 65.00 and forget about the Bilsteins. Anything has to be better than what's on there now.
DIrty Old Town: '96 Astro with extra rear leaf, overload springs all over, LT235/75/15s and 250 000 km. Regularly used to haul 1500-2000 lbs of renovation waste for short periods of time.
Original Poster [OP]
youngjohn
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: youngjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full yearsyoungjohn has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » March 15th 2011, 5:22am

youngjohn wrote:Comparing them in-store is a good idea, even if I end up ordering the part online. Even better would be to get the two shocks, and an Astro spring, to see how they fit inside...
Dang, maybe I should just buy the Ranchos for 65.00 and forget about the Bilsteins. Anything has to be better than what's on there now.

It is the hole at the bottom that they need to fit through that is the *****.
BTW, Rancho doesn't make a replacment shock for the front of my van anymore, '97 RWD, I had the RS 5000 in front and called to warranty them. No soap..... :evil: I bought them for the ride and "great" warranty,,, :blah: :blah: :blah:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby youngjohn [OP] » March 15th 2011, 8:21pm

I found some Bilsteins for my model year from the main Canadian supplier (Essex in BC) for just under 100.00 each. That's still around 50 more than KYBs or Ranchos - do you guys think it's worth the money for the Bilsteins? I regularly haul a ton of weight, and I have an extra leaf on the back, so I figured that better quality front end parts would be good.
Original Poster [OP]
youngjohn
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » March 15th 2011, 11:58pm

I am unfamiliar with the Bilstein brand but I too drive a loaded nan 99% of the time, this is another reason I paid more and went with Rancho gas shock. If the van is heavily laden you want the heavier shock, no doubt. Get the best you can find and don't sweat a few extra dollars spent.

When my rancho broke I needed replacement immediadly and bought the best Monroe brand gas shock they had in stock and they are not as good as the rancho were. Rancho needed the numbers stamped into the shock cylinder for warranty replacement. (lifetime warranty) I could not read the number without removing them so I was in a catch 22 as I needed to drive the truck daily. When the front broke I replaced them all and called on the warranty, I got the rears but sadly the don't make the front any more. :screaming:
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby youngjohn [OP] » March 16th 2011, 1:20pm

That's a bummer about the warranty. I guess maybe if I don't do the Bilsteins, I'll get the KYBs, to avoid the same problem. I imagine the '96 and '97 front ends are the same. I was wondering too if anyone knows or can tell me what the stock height is for the front wheel well from the ground. I'm pretty sure mine has been sagging since I bought it, so I'd like to know what stock height is.
Original Poster [OP]
youngjohn
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby Leeann_93 » March 17th 2011, 2:09am

Bilstein is a very good shock. A little stiff for most people, but if you're hauling a lot of stuff, I'd go for stiff.

GM used them stock on the Blazers/Jimmys/Bravadas.
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD