shocks for 98 AWD LT - medium price?

shocks for 98 AWD LT - medium price?

Postby zugswang [OP] » February 5th 2017, 6:30am

hey all
this has probably been asked and answered before but I can't find it so I'll risk trying the community's patience by asking it:
What might be the best medium priced shocks for my 98 AWD LT?
I am a carpenter who frequently hauls several hundred pounds of my favorite tools everyday plus occasional materials and other fat guys on rough and mud.
Seems to me that the stock Asstro is suspended inadequate and could use an upgrade
My previous was a canadian 3/4 ton 1984 Ford F150 with a straight six that could tug a mountain inside out and never had a problem with load but being 2wd was a liability on most sites plus my tools were wet all the time
I'd like for the van to haul better while my tools are all dry
So what should I buy shock-wise and/or maybe new springs?
Thanks in advance for your considered advice!
Original Poster [OP]
zugswang
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: zugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full yearszugswang has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 1
Alias (AKA): hank
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LT 4.3L V6 AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • '99 AWD Shock Replacement
    by SnacktimeKC » November 2nd 2020, 3:26am in Stock Suspension
    5 Replies
    Last post by SnacktimeKC View the latest post
    December 6th 2020, 5:29pm
  • New Front 2000 AWD Hub
    by Mmusicman » November 6th 2020, 7:15pm in Stock Suspension
    2 Replies
    Last post by tungtide View the latest post
    November 6th 2020, 10:21pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 12th 2021, 5:03am

Re: shocks for 98 AWD LT - medium price?

Postby dramey » February 5th 2017, 9:39am

I use KYB shocks on all my vehicles.
dramey
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: dramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full yearsdramey has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Extra Info: AWD Cargo Van

Postby WoodButcher » February 5th 2017, 5:51pm

I've run my '97 RWD overloaded forever. I made a franken-pack of springs that worked well for me. Do that or get the HD springs, LT truck tires are a must, heaviest sidewall ratings you can find and the tallest you can fit. 4 the same for AWD!!! The '98 will probably fit 235/70 15 w/o rubbing up front if you do a little grinder / BFH work. If you use a taller spring in the rear a turn on the torsion bars will give some clearance.
For shocks you'll want the best you can find, I have used Rancho on mine with some success, they don't make the front for 2WD anymore so this is my complaint.

It's impossible to load these vans and have a good ride at a medium price point.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby Lumpy » February 5th 2017, 6:06pm

I agree with WoodyButch.

Shocks are there to dampen the up and down travel. They don't increase load carrying capacity. Get the leaves where you want them (replace, add to, whatever) and once you've got that taken care of, pick shocks based on the phase of the moon or something. No way anyone else can tell what kind of shocks will work well in anyone else's situation.

Choosing shocks is worse than choosing tires, IMO. Most subjective thing in the world plus at least with tires you can factor in cosmetics. Shocks are unseen and not sexy. Literally a shot in the dark.

You could install air shocks. Lots of people who occasionally tow or load their van like them. They don't really increase any kind of load capacity, they simply push the axle farther away from the body.

My approach, and I think that of CargoCrawler's, is to get the springs/shocks and everything else set up for the anticipated heaviest loads, and then when you're NOT hauling that load, substitute sand bags, dead hookers, live Mexicans etc so that the rear is weighted down the same way as when the trailer or other load is in the picture.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo