Anchor plates?

Anchor plates?

Postby KHPower [OP] » April 25th 2011, 5:24pm

i see there is another topic regarding the astro/safari leaf spring anchor plates cracking and that is exactly what just happened to me. on my 88 safari I noticed some really bad drive coming from the rear end. I popped the haynes manual out and looked at the rear suspension and seen both passengers and drivers rear anchor plates on the leafsprings cracked really badly.

I dont have use of a welder and Im low on money.... I jimmyed one side with a u bolt combo but I know its unsafe . does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do? ive only found (1) place online that offers these anchor plates... there are no auto paarts stores that carry these huge plates..

thanks eveyone :)
1988 GMC SafarI 292 4.3 L V6 Motor "Z" metallic red 200,000 + miles
Audio System (1) AWT Linear Compression 5cf ported tuned to 32 ran on a 2200HC and a 3800 Kinetik
Original Poster [OP]
KHPower
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: KHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full years
Topics: 28
Location: In the AstroSafari.com's boiler room east of the janitors closet
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 L V6 Z 262

Re: Anchor plates?

Postby RECox286 » April 25th 2011, 5:29pm

Nah, it's a dealer item, but I have found plenty of good ones in the JYs. They are easy to get, you just need a 18mm socket and a small assortment of elbow grease fittings... Ha.

Good hunting

Bob
Start a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Sent using two Progresso soup cans and a string
RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 40
Alias (AKA): Uncle Bob
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RWD V6 [325K mi]

Postby KHPower [OP] » April 25th 2011, 5:47pm

Bob ha ha.. sadly there is only one "u pull it" junk yard here :( and if any other astro or safari I find that has the bolts rusted on like mine were i will need to cut em off :( Ill call around the junk yards to see if they will let me go out there and try and retrieve what i need but im affraid i may just have to buckle and pay 100 bucks for the online ones :(
Audio System (1) AWT Linear Compression 5cf ported tuned to 32 ran on a 2200HC and a 3800 Kinetik
Original Poster [OP]
KHPower
Years of Membership: KHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full yearsKHPower has been a member for 13 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » April 25th 2011, 11:39pm

There are JY parts locators on the web. You might find one that will send a couple to you, worth a shot. Normally, when you find rusted out anchor plates, the fasteners are as you say, however, when you find good plates, the fasteners will be almost like new also. No kidding. Ergo, you need all the hardware: 2 ea of the anchor plates, 2 ea of the u-bolt assemblies, 2 ea of the U-bolts, the special washers and the nuts.

Good hunting

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)
Years of Membership: RECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full yearsRECox286 has been a member for 10 full years

Postby KHPower [OP] » April 26th 2011, 2:09am

Thanks Bob.... I called all the yards here in town and one of the many we have had a van or 2 ibn their yard and said if I came out and pukkled he would charge me 35 for the plates.... Since im in Nebraska I figured the vans are just gonna have just as rusty and miserably hard to remove anchor plates and all the hardware as you mentioned. I have another astro thats runs great , its just not my daily driver so I attempted to remove a bolt off of the anchor plate assembly to see how much luck id have without my air tools out in he junkyard an WOW ! what a pain... Id spend a good 3 hours out there if i chose one of the junk yards.

So I went ahead , closed my eyes and paid 130 for the whole assembly new with all the hardware :(

The van im putting these on is a competition van and I figured since ive replaced almost everything else on her I might as well buy her new stuff...

I hope this is exactly what i need.... the picture looks kinda different then the actual plates but here is the link to the site that has them. http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/prod ... 768-0.html

Please let me know if I purchased the wrong part.... :screaming:
Original Poster [OP]
KHPower
Alias (AKA):

Postby RECox286 » April 26th 2011, 3:58am

Take a good look at the front of the spring. There is a hold down there that does the same thing as the anchor plate. Oh, no, Mr Bill !

Hope you find yours to be in good shape.

Bob

RECox286
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Purple Status (L6)
Purple Status (L6)