Need Help Torsion Bars reset from local Astro/Safari Master

Need Help Torsion Bars reset from local Astro/Safari Master

Postby webrunner [OP] » October 21st 2019, 4:26pm

Before I start please let me say that I am not physically able to do heavy physical work on our 2000 Chevy Astro. Light stuff is not so bad. Plus I just am not set up with the tools and lifts/jacks to do the torsion bar reset. So please, those of you that have a propensity to tell others that the work is not hard to do, try to refrain from responding. I am looking for someone that has a Chevy Astro or GMC Safari that understands the AWD torsion bar set up and 'knows' xactly what needs to be done. I am willing to pay a fair amount to have the work done but understand that the wife & I are both living on a structured amount of money per month due to our age and Social Security benefits. We have gone the treacherous route of allowing so called 'mechanics' off of Craigslist to do work and we do not want to go that route again.

If you live in the Central Florida area and have lots of experience working on GM torsion bars suspensions please contact me privately so we can perhaps get our front end reset to normal ride height. I can give you more information about the reason I need the work done when you contact me. Thank you astro safari dot com for this venue and hopefully I have posted my post in the right category. Please forgive if it needs to be in another.

PS I have pics of before ride height and current ride height after work was done by Craigslist mechanic.
Original Poster [OP]
webrunner
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: webrunner has been a member for 2 full yearswebrunner has been a member for 2 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): Web
Van Model Year: 2000
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Torsion bars set weird. Ideas?
    by Ken2.7 » September 4th 2020, 3:50pm in Stock Suspension
    7 Replies
    Last post by 97cargocrawler View the latest post
    September 6th 2020, 4:50am
  • '04 Astro - upper control arm torque specs
    by keithi70 » October 17th 2020, 12:50pm in Stock Suspension
    5 Replies
    Last post by keithi70 View the latest post
    October 17th 2020, 4:03pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 10:37pm

Re: Need Help Torsion Bars reset from local Astro/Safari Mas

Postby ADDvanced » October 21st 2019, 6:54pm

I'm not sure how far off it is, but the front suspension is super easy to adjust. There are two bolts that set the height in front, and they're super easy to get to. They're located in the crossmember, facing downwards, at the end of the torsion bars. All you do is tighten them to raise the van, or loosen them to lower the van. Just use a half inch ratchet/socket. I think they were 16mm? Again, I know you said don't do the work yourself, but this is super super super easy. Like less than 5 minutes easy.
99 Astro AWD DMC Conversion Van
95 Audi S6 Avant 5spd
00 Honda Insight 5spd
86 Honda Civic Si 5spd
77 Porsche 911S 5spd
ADDvanced
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: ADDvanced has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD Conversion Van

Postby WinnieVan » October 21st 2019, 6:58pm

After you mess with your ride height, you should really get an alignment.

So -- I'd call an alignment shop, have them set the ride height for you and then do an alignment, all in the same appointment. Adjusting the ride height is really as simple as turning some bolts on the transmission cross-member... so it shouldn't even cost extra on top of the alignment, in my opinion.

I'm assuming if the craigslist mechanic had to mess with your torsion bars -- you were likely doing front end work -- and thus you probably need an alignment anyways.

Ain't worth cupping your tires over this one -- take it to a shop who can straighten you out with a computerized alignment -- just insist they level your ride height before they put it on the rack.

Also make sure your tires are properly inflated before you head in -- you'd be surprised what a difference it can make when doing alignments and not every tech is going to take the time to make sure all your tires are aired up properly before doing the alignment.
WinnieVan
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Topics: 63
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: AWD

Postby webrunner [OP] » October 21st 2019, 7:26pm

Thanks Winnie for the reply. I fully intended on getting the alignment done after the torsion bar reset but never thought to ask Alignment shop to figure in the cost of resetting the T\Bars in with the alignment. I'll do that today.
Original Poster [OP]
webrunner
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Years of Membership: webrunner has been a member for 2 full yearswebrunner has been a member for 2 full years

Postby webrunner [OP] » October 21st 2019, 7:35pm

Thanks for the reply ADDvanced but as I stated in my post I can not physically
get up and down easily like most younger people can. Plus, I don't have the tools
or jacks or lifts. You do realize the to do this job correctly both front wheels/tires
should be off of the ground with no load on the them (suspended). The torsion bar
keys must be unlocked hence that is why they make torsion bar key unlocking tools.
That enables the torsion bars to be freed up to be reset back to original specs.
I want the job done right and correctly. Not a rush job in 5 minutes. That is where
this problem started with a Craigslist 'mechanic' that didn't want to do the job
correctly in the first place.
Original Poster [OP]
webrunner
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby ADDvanced » October 21st 2019, 8:53pm

That's not how I did mine. I just jacked them all the way up with the front wheels in the air, then put the vehicle on the ground. You can then just reach under and lower it by loosening those two bolts.
99 Astro AWD DMC Conversion Van
95 Audi S6 Avant 5spd
00 Honda Insight 5spd
86 Honda Civic Si 5spd
77 Porsche 911S 5spd
ADDvanced
Years of Membership: ADDvanced has been a member for 1 full year
Topics: 19
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: AWD Conversion Van

Postby WinnieVan » October 22nd 2019, 2:21am

Yea you can adjust the t-bars without unloading them -- that's just not how the book says to do it!

Anyways -- the alignment guys should be able to dial you in!
WinnieVan
Years of Membership: WinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full yearsWinnieVan has been a member for 3 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » October 23rd 2019, 5:01pm

Why would anyone recommend getting under an unsupported van to mess with torsion bars? If one of these bars or keys broke the poor guy would get crushed to death. :whack:
97cargocrawler
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby Mmusicman » October 23rd 2019, 6:29pm

I crawl under my van all the time.
I'm pretty sure my torsion bars are not suddenly going to break.
2000 Astro LS 4x4 | NP233 | 31" LT265/70R17 Tires | 8" LIFT | 10" TOTAL
92 Chevy Astro Cargo Shorty | V8-350
http://www.CruisinSouthFlorida.com
Mmusicman
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: Mmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full yearsMmusicman has been a member for 7 full years
Topics: 73
Alias (AKA): Scott
Extra Info: 2000 4x4 - 92 V8-350

Postby webrunner [OP] » October 24th 2019, 3:10pm

I believe 97cargocrawler's operative term was 'unsupported van' and was enough to explain their point. As to the torsion bars 'suddenly breaking' I personally have read too many accounts of people just backing out of their driveways or similar and having the torsion bars snap on them. So that being said, it would be a rare occurrence for sure but I for one would not want to be messing around underneath the van without it being on stands or jacks at the very least.
Original Poster [OP]
webrunner
Fueling (1/8 tank)
Fueling (1/8 tank)

Postby WinnieVan » October 24th 2019, 5:33pm

It is a fair point. I usually throw some jack stands under the subframe when I adjust my torsion bars.
WinnieVan
Alias (AKA):

Postby 97cargocrawler » October 24th 2019, 9:34pm

Torsion bars are not always fully inserted into the keys. They can pop out, especially when you start relieving pressure and things creep a bit. That can happen by hitting a bump in the road or turning the adjusting bolt. You just never know. Do you look down the barrel of a gun to see if there's a bullet chambered? I suppose you might be ignorant of the danger until you experience it. I hit a bump, the bar ripped out of the key because it was only barely inserted and my truck dropped about a foot going 40mph. I had no idea the bar was barely hanging on inside the key.

20180615_145337.jpg

I had a great time reinstalling the bar on the side of the highway though.

91387-03.jpeg

You've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel lucky?'

Well, do you, punk?
97cargocrawler
Years of Membership: 97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years97cargocrawler has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 42
Alias (AKA): KING OF OVERKILL
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby AstroWill » October 25th 2019, 5:34am

If it's going to drop, most likely it's going to be when driving or when adjusting, put some jack stands under there to be safe.

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business.
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches