Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Questions on Astro Rear end Decisions

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  markmitch 
#1 ·
First time poster, newb to mechanics and stressed from getting ready for moving so could use some possibly simple help!

I've searched this forum quite a bit, a beautiful place it is.

Questions on leaf spring. I ended up ordering the 22-1195HD rear springs as mine have gone flat. In my searches I found that the kyb monotube shocks were recommended quite a bit. Is there a bit more economical shock recommended, specifically with this spring capacity 1700lbs.....

Basically can I get the most out of these heavier duty rear springs with mid grade shocks?

I will be towing an enclosed trailer across country and would like to be able to tow a small camper here and there.

Also any suggestion on what ubolts to get, I was told to get new ubolts for the leaf springs.

Thank you for any help.

#3 ·
pasdriz1234 said:
Is there a bit more economical shock recommended, specifically with this spring capacity 1700lbs.....
I will be towing an enclosed trailer across country and would like to be able to tow a small camper here and there..
You're going to tow a trailer across country, and you're asking for cheaper shocks? :eek:

Seriously, the KYB Monotube is the BEST value performance shock you can buy!
Great price. Lifetime warranty. Superior performance!
Perfect match for you NEW springs.

#4 ·
Sure, you can find less expensive shocks, but after towing the trailer across the country, you might wish you had spent the money up front. :2:
The KYB monotube shocks are well worth the money for the quality you get.

Rod J

#5 ·
maybe it's just me but I have tried the expensive shocks and the cheaper shocks and never noticed much difference on my old 4x4 trucks. I mean how can a shock be better then another its all the same technology and same parts. What can hey possibly do to make one better than another double the seals?

#6 ·
Installed front/rear Heavy Duty KYBs at $232.00 shipped, and although the load capacity/handling have vastly improved, the ride is very bumpy. (My Lifted 2019 Frontier 4WD has a smoother ride!)

Oh yeah, and I've tried the mid-range KYBs and there IS a huge difference between them.

#7 ·
I agree with markmitch to a point, under most driving conditions it is difficult to tell the difference between shock grades and many people will not know the difference. But heavy duty shocks will no doubt give a much stiffer or harsher ride and standard grade will not be up to par for spirited drivers. I think that is where the mid grade KYB really shines, it gives just the right amount of dampening for all around driving but is still performance oriented for enthusiast and their low price is a no-brainer. I've put them on most of my vehicles and just installed four on my van, but if I were going to be doing some serious towing I would shell out for a good set of coil-overs or Air Shocks just to handle the extra weight...

As an example that there is a difference in Shock Absorbers, and it is all about the internal valving, my Colorado with the Z71/Off-Road package came with Rancho shocks from the factory, designed for the longer travel of off-road use they really suck on the street with 31" tires they're bouncy and feel like the tires are out of balance. At 20,000 miles I put a new set on the rear and they still suck I will try out a set of KYB's in the spring.
My 2002 S10/ZR2 came with Bilsteins, on the street they road the same as the Rancho's and the truck was never taken off-road but with only 2,000 miles on it a rear shock snapped in half and was covered by warranty. The one plus side of the Bilsteins they didn't rust as quickly

It's really all about getting the right product for your application

#8 ·
KYB's use "valve-sensing" technology that allow them to be firm at dampening bounce (without being too harsh on bumps).. and 200lbs nitrogen to prevent fluid aeration that causes "fade". There are HUGE differences in how these perform compared to many others. I know this first hand from experience. They are an excellent value (for the price) and a solid performer with excellent reviews.

#9 ·
Take take it from me I am far from an expert and I go cheap on some things cause I spend more on yet other things. I am more high performance then lets say cornering. So my experience is more for either off roading or strait line racing type stuff and yet still not an expert on either. Just saying...............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.