Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

What is this on the fiberglass spring?

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Coronavan 
#1 ·
I was under my 93 Astro with less than 60K and I saw this plastic part on the rear spring and one had the center hanging down. I can't find it on any parts diagrams.
What is it and if the center is hanging down, does it need replacing?
Thx

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
That originally had a square piece of rubber inside of it and I believe it is to take out the vibration of the fiberglass spring. Just a guess because some of the early 6 cylinder Camaro's had fiberglass single leaf's and they had a problem with vibration and did not have the square. Possibly a fix from GM ? Seems many of the rubber parts fall out though.

#5 ·
I have the question out there on the GM site. Don't know if there will be any knowledge left but it's worth a shot.
All I can figure would be NVH (vibration/harmonics) or possibly a manufacturing feature. We'll see if I get a response to my ?
Mark

#10 ·
Really...? You guys have to be Kidding - look at your manual - spring shackle point / Front Spring Attachment.

Thinking about it - I would not want to pick the weight up on that sorta' floppy long Fiberglass Strut / Barstock / Plate.
Possibly mess up the Spring attributes.

I dunno' though guys - you all have owned and picked up your Astros and Safaris many more times than us.

This from the discussion back 'in the day':
https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.p ... 00#p615194
And scrolling up a few pics...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.