Broken sway bar components and repair work

Broken sway bar components and repair work

Postby Herman Wiegman [OP] » March 29th 2013, 8:43pm

I noticed that several folks have experienced broken sway bar components on their Gen 2's.
My van came with a broken sway bar end, and then it popped a bracket only a week after the repair.

https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=15685&p=167554&hilit=sway+bar+broken#p167554

It seems the Gen 2 has a propensity to popping the bar end, the bracket or the end link to the suspension arm.
This may be due to the poor spring rates on the front of these vans which causes more than necessary travel, thus placing more torsional stress on the sway bar components.
Adding to this issue is the development of rust on the engine sub-frame, to which the sway bar brackets (and steering idler arms) bolt onto.

I recently changed out my van's broken sway bar, the mounting brackets the end links, and one idler arm.
Included below are some before and after photos of the frame, brackets and idler arm mounting point.
I was at risk of loosing my steering due to the weakened sub-frame, so pay attention if you live in the rust belt.

The new sway bar brackets were purchased off the shelf at Advance Auto Parts.
(1 1/4" poly bushing with grease fitting)
The welding work was done by a local shop (old school).

Happy spring cleaning everyone...
I am off to my next task; replacing the intake gaskets
due to leakage and poor idle/hesitaiton... great fun.
But at least I can complain to you guys...

Herminator

Herminator, Niskayuna, NY.......1999 Safari 4.3L SLE (RWD)
Eaton Gov Lok LSD 3.23:1.........Timbren bump stops
Monster 4L60E rebuild ..............Electric fan & FelPro gaskets
Original Poster [OP]
Herman Wiegman
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Herman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full yearsHerman Wiegman has been a member for 8 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Herminator
Van Model Year: 1999
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3L RWD