Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Torsion bars

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  catbones 
#1 ·
I want to lift my 1990 astro van about 2" ... Im short on funds right now so i was wondering if i could lift it with the torsion bars and how to do so and what tools ill need...
If someone can lend me some advice id greatly appreciate it
Thanks

#2 ·
Just need a socket and a measuring tape, and tighten the torsion key bolts. Every vans a bit different as to how much lift you can get this way.

#3 ·
It will make your ride really harsh. Ask thegreenmachine.... Your best bet is either Re-Indexed torsion keys, or body pucks and longer bolts.... Either way you go with it will keep the stock ride feel with out becoming harsh..

#5 ·
Here's two dumb questions from a newbie in all this;

1.) max'ing out the keys, whats the limit or whats the difference between stock in inches?

2.) if you do tighten the keys or get new keys to replace for 2", I'm guessing you have to put blocks under the rear axle and adjust the arms?

#7 ·
for just the front it can be done with torsion bars alone, I got about 2" of front lift with mine and the stock keys are not maxed out yet ( but I had lowered them slightly beforehand to make up for saggy rear end). like others have said all vans are going to behave a little different. as far as re - indexed keys go, if you do 2" lift on stock vs 2" lift on new keys, the ride will be the same. the new keys will just allow you to go higher than the stock ones do up into the 3" or so range.

personally for 2", I would do 1" body block and tighten up the torsion bars a little

on the rear you have just as many or more options, new leaf packs, add a leaf, new shackles, lift blocks, franken leafs CC stlye....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.