Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

clunking and body cushions

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  fast68 
#1 ·
If you have a clunking noise on a 1988 Astro when you hit a speed bump, pothole, turn or brake it may be your body cushions. I had two cushions completely rotted and two more sort of rotted and rusted. I suspect the clunking was the frame and body moving. I replaced all six uppers, lowers, bolts and retainers. I could not find after market parts. I bought GM parts. They are discontinued at most dealers and even the part numbers are hard to find. I was able to order them from http://www.1stchevyparts.com. Some of the part numbers changed from the originals. If anyone needs this info here is the complete list. The cushions are referred to as 1, 2 and 3 and there is two of everything. One set is on the passenger side and the other on the driver's side. 1 is in the front of the van, 2 is in the middle and 3 is all the way at the end of the frame towards the rear of the van. There are also an upper and lower cushion in each location as well as a bolt and retainer (big bevel washer). There are six locations altogether each consisting of a bolt, retainer, lower cushion and upper cushion.

#1 upper is 15601755
#2 upper is 15595052
#3 upper is 15183802

#1, #2, #3 lower is15595054

#1, #3 retainers are 15688319
# retainer is 15590772

#1, #3 bolts are 15677731
#2 bolt is 11519584

Replacement involves separating the frame from the body in order to remove the upper cushions. Jack on the frame, put jack stands on the body just behind #3. Take the bolts out, lower the frame a few inches. Install upper cushions, jack the frame back up. Torque #1 and #3 to 66ftlbs, torque #2 to 114ftlbs. Do one side at a time.

It cost me $200 including shipping. I found two #2 upper cushions on ebay for $15. The rest I got from http://www.1stchevyparts.com. No more clunking noise. I hope this helps someone.

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks uncle-vinny for the great write-up.

Did you disconnect the steering shaft from the steering box when this was done? Thanks.:)

#4 ·
most ppl just run the vehicle until the cushions all fall off and the cradle frame drops

my brother has a 92 bonneville a few months ago he lost the front bolt washers due to rust and sall his cushions fell out and the entire cradle fell out form under the car alot i had to go to the yard and pick up cushions and steel cups and some bolts and mail them to him so he could put his car back together.,

he drove it up here the other day and is still in town with it, it drives fine after all that wow

it happens....

periodically you shoud inspect your body mount bushings and parts especially anything older than about 2000 and in the salt belt

and especially the bonnevilles and similar cars and apparently these vans too

also the s10 trucks lose the front cab ones all the time, the whole mounts collapse due to body rot though,

not really repairable without a new cab

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.