sway bar link

sway bar link

Postby deercorpse [OP] » December 20th 2013, 3:16am

:banghead: I first thought my brakes were bad till I took tire off there fine I had a bad grinding sound coming from the front pass. side and thought it was my brakes were grinding for the past 2-3 weeks now that I have time to replace them and I found the sway bar {stabilizer bar} link the top of it is broken off and I noticed the outside of my tire is bald about a inch or more and the other tires have about 70% tread left there only 2 years old. Would the sway bar link being broke cause it to grind like brakes do when they are bare metal to metal? I think my ball joints might be bad too but the look ok and I only have little play moving tire with my hand on the top and bottom of the tire. And I thought it was brakes too cause they been locking up in the snow and on wet roads it make the normal weird winning sound that it does when your on ice and hit brakes hard but its doing it on wet roads and it never done that before only on ice or deep snow. My bearings seem to be nice and tight no play there at all. And I never get a abs light on ever when it locks up. I just had the whole rear end replaced and a rear brake line and rear brakes too at a shop and it started locking up a few days after I got it back on wet roads. all the brake hardware is tight and nothing looks broke. Any suggestions will help at this point im having surgery in a couple weeks and need to get this done before then its our only way around. Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
deercorpse
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: deercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full yearsdeercorpse has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: AWD

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Front Sway Bar Replacement
    by 4dastro » November 1st 2020, 5:46pm in Stock Suspension
    3 Replies
    Last post by AstroWill View the latest post
    November 3rd 2020, 7:28pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    April 14th 2021, 11:55pm

Re: sway bar link

Postby chevymaher » December 20th 2013, 3:23am

Fix the link and take the brakes apart to inspect them. Spin everything to find the noise. Once the brake caliper is off you may find it was holding the axle bearing in place. Seems fine with it on checking it loose when it has no support. Just need to go through everything and check it.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 91
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser