Looking for feedback on shocks

Looking for feedback on shocks

Postby Hank [OP] » May 8th 2010, 2:32am

I'm currently running KYB Gas-adjusts on all 4 corners, Overland Vans 2" lift and factory size BFG ATs. Also I frequently pull a 5000lb camping trailer. I do run a load leveling hitch.

I think I'm getting old as on long drives the KYB's are a little harsh, towing with the lift has a noticeable difference and the BFG's are a noisy and sap some power and mpg.

So I'm thinking of pulling the lift, the KYB's and putting on some Goodyear Triple Tread. aka stock Yeah, I'm getting old.

What do you guys recommend for shocks? Something better than OEM's

Thanks!
Last edited by Hank on May 8th 2010, 2:37am, edited 1 time in total.
Camaro eating, trailer dragging 2003 AWD tuned with hptuners.
See http://www.hptuners.com
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11225
Balancing by http://www.innovativebalancing.com
Original Poster [OP]
Hank
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Hank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Re: Looking for feedback on shocks

Postby astroturf » May 8th 2010, 2:35am

I like Bilsteins. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby astro355 » May 11th 2010, 11:24am

Monroe Sensatracs are always a winner.
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 4 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby ALPO » May 11th 2010, 4:56pm

Would you recomment the Monroe Sensatracs on the Rear with Timbrens? I plan on getting the #2000 GMRASTB Timbrens and while I am in there placing on new shocks. I do not know whether the help of the Timbrens AND the added springs of the Sensatracs would be overkill and contribute to a harsh ride. If not, what shocks are recommended with the Timbrens. I prefer going in this direction and prefer Timbrens and matching shocks, like others I do not think Shock Mounts were designed to be supportive of vehicle weight - only to supply dampening of vehicle movement.
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: ALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 6
Alias (AKA):

Postby Woodweasel » May 11th 2010, 5:13pm

ALPO wrote:Would you recomment the Monroe Sensatracs on the Rear with Timbrens? I plan on getting the #2000 GMRASTB Timbrens and while I am in there placing on new shocks. I do not know whether the help of the Timbrens AND the added springs of the Sensatracs would be overkill and contribute to a harsh ride. If not, what shocks are recommended with the Timbrens. I prefer going in this direction and prefer Timbrens and matching shocks, like others I do not think Shock Mounts were designed to be supportive of vehicle weight - only to supply dampening of vehicle movement.

"I do not think Shock Mounts were designed to be supportive of vehicle weight - only to supply dampening of vehicle movement."

:goodpost:

That goes with what I think about air shocks. A good air bag system and a quality set of shocks is the way to go. And the air bag system isnt really that expensive in the long run. Easy to install. Set it and forget it, you dont have to go out and air up the shocks to level the ride out and then air them down when your done. No drama.
Woodweasel
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Woodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full yearsWoodweasel has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 36
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 140K miles

Postby astroturf » May 11th 2010, 5:20pm

ALPO wrote:Would you recomment the Monroe Sensatracs on the Rear with Timbrens? I plan on getting the #2000 GMRASTB Timbrens and while I am in there placing on new shocks. I do not know whether the help of the Timbrens AND the added springs of the Sensatracs would be overkill and contribute to a harsh ride. If not, what shocks are recommended with the Timbrens. I prefer going in this direction and prefer Timbrens and matching shocks, like others I do not think Shock Mounts were designed to be supportive of vehicle weight - only to supply dampening of vehicle movement.

ALPO, Good to see you here today. My 05 sways like a drunken sailor. Shocks are shot. My plan of attack is Bilstein shocks first. (too many mixed reactions on all other shocks mentioned here in the forums) Then Timbrens second. Thirdly if needed a sway bar. I do not plan on lowering or lifting my van. I like the idea of buying the best and observing as others complain about their recent purchases gone sour. Just my opinion, But that's my plan. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby ALPO » May 11th 2010, 8:11pm

What is the going rate for Bilsteins? While I desire a good ride and a safe towing experience, the name Bilstein eminates money. However, if the difference in price to quality Monroes or Gabriels is within reason I would go the distance. Is there any other brands or advice out there?

Money is definately a concern in my case, hell the Van itself was a sacrifice of monetary margins which has gone terribly astray already.
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: ALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full yearsALPO has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 12th 2010, 5:38pm

ALPO wrote:What is the going rate for Bilsteins? While I desire a good ride and a safe towing experience, the name Bilstein eminates money. However, if the difference in price to quality Monroes or Gabriels is within reason I would go the distance. Is there any other brands or advice out there?

Money is definately a concern in my case, hell the Van itself was a sacrifice of monetary margins which has gone terribly astray already.

I can get them for about a hundred a shock. I equate the purchase to someone buying cheap tires, then complaining about them until they wear out. I would rather spend the money upfront then to suffer, go and buy what I should have in the first place, and saved the money from the first purchase of junk. Then their is always the stock AC Delco shocks. I mean they are the true pioneers, and responsible for making our vans so popular. Just an opinion. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby astro355 » May 12th 2010, 9:11pm

The Monroe Sensatracs I use don't have helper springs. I guess you can get them both way?
Diagnose 1st, never be a parts changer!

355 small block chevy w/ modified 700R4

astro355
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: astro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full yearsastro355 has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 355 V8 700R4

Postby Leeann_93 » May 13th 2010, 3:03am

The ones with helper springs are Monroe Load-Adjusting. That's what I have on the back of my van (they're rear only) for $110 for the pair. With the donor engine and assorted parts stored in the rear, the butt is only 2-3" lower at most than stock.

I'd say that was an either-or situation - Timbrens or Load-Adjusting. I think both is overkill and one might actually negate the other. The load adjusting shocks act like normal, slightly stiffer shocks until loaded, when they become firmer and help spread out the load. At least, that's how I understood it.

http://www.monroe.com/products/sensatra ... shocks.asp
'05 Astro AWD vin X
'02 Astro LS AWD vin X
'00 Astro LS AWD - WIP
'99 Safari XLE AWD - broke
'93 AWD EXT vin W - real broke
Leeann_93
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Leeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full yearsLeeann_93 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 44
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2005
Extra Info: LS AWD

Postby ALPO » May 13th 2010, 4:43pm

I opted for the Monroe Sens-a-traks. There was actually a pretty good write-up out there on the web (there were a lot out there) comparing the shocks. The caparison that seemed the most informative compared the Sensatracks aginst Reflex's and the Bilsteins. The sesatraks came in the softest with the Reflex's inbetween the two. All three were said to be stiffer than stock. As I do not expect the shocks to be supportive (thats what the Timbrens are for) and I want the Non-Loaded ride as close to factory it seemed the logical choice. I will only be towing either short distances or the very rare longer distance I do not want to set up the Van for Towing, just be prepared to when I do. I almost opted just to put on the Timbrens and live with the existing shocks due to monetary reasons, but laziness won over as I will be down there wroking anyway - do not want to have go back down there again later.

It will be a week before I get them, maybe another before I get them on - If I remember I will post the results, but I have no comparison to anything other than worn out stockers.

Thanks for the help. Have a nice day!
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby ALPO » May 13th 2010, 4:46pm

Oh yeah, did I mention that the Monroes are roughly half the price of the Bilsteins. They do get good reviews and are regarded as decent shocks generally.
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 13th 2010, 4:58pm

ALPO wrote:Oh yeah, did I mention that the Monroes are roughly half the price of the Bilsteins. They do get good reviews and are regarded as decent shocks generally.

Good to hear ALPO. Which Timbrens did you go with? Just the back or at all four corners? Thanks, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby ALPO » May 14th 2010, 12:13am

The Van actually has a pretty decent ride right now, albeit with just over 1K miles now. I am just getting the rear Timbrens only as a result of the Sag encountered when I hooked up the Trailer. I see no reason to get Timbrens on the front, why would I? I also only got shocks for the rear also, like I said just because I will be down there installing the Timbrens (kill two birds with one stone, so to speak).

My biggest fear right now is traction on the boat ramps, my Astro has the Open Rear - at least it's a 3.73 ratio. I have not used the Van yet for the Boat. Boat ramps can get pretty slick, I had a friend with an F150 which was horrible on ramps. So........, I need to be prepared to swap to a Limited Slip Rear if I get the same results. If there's any Boat Ramp experience out there, chime right in.

One thing at a time.......
ALPO
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby 94 Van Guy » May 14th 2010, 12:37am

ALPO wrote:The Van actually has a pretty decent ride right now, albeit with just over 1K miles now. I am just getting the rear Timbrens only as a result of the Sag encountered when I hooked up the Trailer. I see no reason to get Timbrens on the front, why would I? I also only got shocks for the rear also, like I said just because I will be down there installing the Timbrens (kill two birds with one stone, so to speak).

My biggest fear right now is traction on the boat ramps, my Astro has the Open Rear - at least it's a 3.73 ratio. I have not used the Van yet for the Boat. Boat ramps can get pretty slick, I had a friend with an F150 which was horrible on ramps. So........, I need to be prepared to swap to a Limited Slip Rear if I get the same results. If there's any Boat Ramp experience out there, chime right in.

One thing at a time.......

That F150 is a lot lighter than your van. I haven't used the boat ramp for a long time, but I don't think your van will be bad.

Good luck, Keith
'91 Chevy G30 Bus 39.3K Miles

Retired
Safari
87 Safari, 91 Astro
86 Astro, 85 Astro
88 Astro, 92 Astro
89 Astro, 88 Astro

94 Van Guy
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years94 Van Guy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 71
Alias (AKA): Keith
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: G30 Bus

Postby Mr_Bowtie » May 14th 2010, 1:56am

Air shocks! :rockon: I like them so far.....a little stiff, but not bad for only $75/pair. :chevy:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby Hank [OP] » May 14th 2010, 2:33am

Dang, guess you gotta be careful about what you ask. I did not mean to start a gigantic shock thread. :D

I'm leaning towards something OEM or low cost Monroe Gas-Matics, pulling the lift and getting some Goodyear Triple Treads.

I'm narrowing down my hobby list and the van is going to be a stocker.

I've taken up BMX, at 42, lol.. Made the FL championships, this Saturday @ www.go211.com
Original Poster [OP]
Hank
Years of Membership: Hank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full yearsHank has been a member for 12 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 14th 2010, 2:39am

Hank wrote:Dang, guess you gotta be careful about what you ask. I did not mean to start a gigantic shock thread. :D

I'm leaning towards something OEM or low cost Monroe Gas-Matics, pulling the lift and getting some Goodyear Triple Treads.

I'm narrowing down my hobby list and the van is going to be a stocker.

I've taken up BMX, at 42, lol.. Made the FL championships, this Saturday @ http://www.go211.com

Yes, It doesn't take long around here. If you want to have some fun just make mention of motor oil...

Welcome Hank. Keep us posted. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby Hank [OP] » May 14th 2010, 3:10am

So should I run synthetic or dino oil?

JUST KIDDING!!
Original Poster [OP]
Hank
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 14th 2010, 3:33am

Hank wrote:So should I run synthetic or dino oil?

JUST KIDDING!!

I like that. Thanks Hank... Made me laugh. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Next