slight vibration accompanied with a brrrrr sound

slight vibration accompanied with a brrrrr sound

Postby gtiguy [OP] » May 13th 2010, 5:32pm

Hi guys,

This is my first time posting a topic in here. I have recently purchased a 1999 astro van AWD, and since then I have replaced idler arm, new tires, and tie roods. At the time of purchase I noticed that it had a strong steering vibration when going above 60 mph and with a brrrrr (vibration noise). And so the quest to fix the problem has began, i have replaced with good michelin tires, and idler arm. Now the severity has decreased but still there... I have tested the ball joints but they looks fine to me as there is no play in it. Would you be able to give me any direction on how to fix this? Shocks problem? Wheel bearing? front drive shaft maybe? I have rotated tires around to eliminate the tire/wheel problem. Thank you guys.
Original Poster [OP]
gtiguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: gtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 3
Alias (AKA): gtiguy81
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3L V6 AWD

Re: slight vibration accompanied with a brrrrr sound

Postby ihatemybike » May 13th 2010, 5:55pm

Is the vibration in the steering wheel? Sound similar when Grumpy needed wheel bearing. Might try taking the van for a pre-alignment inspection. Many places do these for free.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86
ihatemybike
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: ihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full yearsihatemybike has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 68
Alias (AKA):

Postby gtiguy [OP] » May 13th 2010, 9:10pm

yes the vibration is on the steering wheel. The sound is kinda related to the speed... i.e when accelerating and decelerating i would hear more than when just coasting with less force on the wheel...One more thing to add is that the noise is not strong enough (or noticeable) by other people like occupant but they will hear it when I tell them....
Original Poster [OP]
gtiguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: gtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full yearsgtiguy has been a member for 10 full years

Postby astroturf » May 14th 2010, 5:07am

gtiguy, I am really not sure what you are experiencing. I'm no tech. But this bump will put you back up towards the top. Keep us posted. Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby astroturf » May 15th 2010, 3:03am

Hey ihatemybike, Any further advise? Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 15th 2010, 4:54pm

Hey Guys, I don't have the Technical experience to help this guy out. He was asked a question, He answered, and in my opinion left out to dry. I am asking someone to not let that happen. Remember... No Member left behind. Thanks, Jim

PS Hook him up and I'll buy you a six pack...
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » May 15th 2010, 6:35pm

Hummm... IMHO, there's really not enough information to rule out anything but tires. Here's what I'd do to resolve the problem.

I'd stick ONE rock tightly in the tread so you can hear it when you're driving.

I'd look at the U-joints in the drive-shafts. If they're non-greaseable, I'd be tempted to replace them them. It's likely time, avoids unexpected breakdowns and is rather inexpensive.

I'd take it to a long hill and when going down the hill throw the transmission in Neutral. That should eliminate the transmission and drive-shafts as they're not under power.

While doing this, I'd listen/feel for the vibration as the van slows to see if it's happening as the speed decreases, and at what frequency.

I'd also stress the front end components by turning slightly to the left, and then the right, to see if the symptoms change.

I'd brake slightly and see if that causes the symptoms to change, and how.

I'd look at the pitman arm and see if that joint is worn.

I'd examine the tires for any advanced/unusual wear and have a quick look at the alignment.

Now the reason for that rock! You can hear/feel the rock when the tire turns one revolution. You'll get a feel for the rhythm. Then if you feel the vibration at a different speed than that rock is making.... you'll know that the problem is not in the wheel, the tire, the breaks or a wheel bearing, as it should have the same rhythm/frequency of occurrence as the rock. If the frequency is different, it's somewhere else in the running gear.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD 4.3L-W

Postby astroturf » May 15th 2010, 6:51pm

astroturf wrote:Hey Guys, I don't have the Technical experience to help this guy out. He was asked a question, He answered, and in my opinion left out to dry. I am asking someone to not let that happen. Remember... No Member left behind. Thanks, Jim

PS Hook him up and I'll buy you a six pack...

Leve, You have answered and given a great bit of info for the OP to follow. I also wrote it down. I am a man of my word, Thus I need instruction from you on how you would like to take delivery of that six pack? Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby LEVE » May 15th 2010, 6:57pm

Thus I need instruction from you on how you would like to take delivery of that six pack? Jim
Thanks for the compliments, but it ain't fixed yet.... I'm only grabbin' at straws. As for the beer... YECH! But thanks for the kind words.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Years of Membership: LEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full yearsLEVE has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby astroturf » May 15th 2010, 7:06pm

LEVE wrote:
Thus I need instruction from you on how you would like to take delivery of that six pack? Jim
Thanks for the compliments, but it ain't fixed yet.... I'm only grabbin' at straws. As for the beer... YECH! But thanks for the kind words.

I said Six Pack... I didn't say Beer. Don't assume here... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How about a 10 dollar donation in your Name to the site that allows this kind of stuff to happen? Say the word and I'll pull the trigger. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevy57bertchevy57bert is online! » May 15th 2010, 10:19pm

This how we test some unreliable Joints. if they are Bad they will POP out.. :rofl:

look @ 2.59 Don`t know how it`s called in English. Those floorboards under the tires.

chevy57bertchevy57bert is online!
Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: chevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full yearschevy57bert has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 69
Alias (AKA): Bertjuh
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Ext 4.3L rwd

Postby gtiguy [OP] » May 17th 2010, 8:20pm

Thank you so much guys for your attention!!!!... I was on vacation to Vancouver and did not have time to check the posts but I can only say thank you... Unfortunately I could not take my Astro van just because my baby and wife was going with me.... they did not trust my VAN.... SAD.....

I will definitely try the recommendation to get more information.

Ohhh!!... one more thing to add to the vibration symptom, after coming back form the vacation, I noticed that my van started making a squeaking sound (almost like rubber squeak except harsher...... like dry metals nuts grinding together noise) when I have steering wheel turned counter clock wise + backing + stopping.... I am not sure if this any related to the vibration..... this sound does not come when i give a bounce or when I am driving forward....

Once again thanks guys...
Original Poster [OP]
gtiguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby gtiguy [OP] » May 18th 2010, 7:52pm

Hey guys,

I have tested as per LEVE's suggestion.

Here is the result,

While driving, putting in neutral does not change the vibration and noise (I guess this eliminates transmission and drive shaft)

Turning wheel left and right does not change the V/N.

I still need to check the Pittman arm (joint) for wear...... (I have strong suspicion that this is might be the cause of vibration but don's know yet)

Tires does not show sign of unusual wear. It is too new I think. I will find time to re-balance it once again at Costco.

How do you check u-joints "drive shaft" without taking apart?

Thanks guys,
Original Poster [OP]
gtiguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby LEVE » May 18th 2010, 9:11pm

How do you check u-joints "drive shaft" without taking apart?
You don't. About all you can do is get under the van and manually shake the joint and feel for any slack.

When you re-balance the tires have 'em rotated as well.
LEVE
Site Contributor
Site Contributor
Alias (AKA):

Postby chefred112 » May 19th 2010, 7:12am

do you have a drop or lift? being around dropped vehicles I see alot of pinion angles bein off which causes vibrations at certain speeds (usually at 50mph or higher)..it's not a steady vibration unless the speed is constant..ive driven dropped vehicles where i could recreate the vibration by gassin then lettin off at highway speeds..
chefred112
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: chefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Fastfreddie
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD

Postby astroturf » May 19th 2010, 1:58pm

chefred112 wrote:do you have a drop or lift? being around dropped vehicles I see alot of pinion angles bein off which causes vibrations at certain speeds (usually at 50mph or higher)..it's not a steady vibration unless the speed is constant..ive driven dropped vehicles where i could recreate the vibration by gassin then lettin off at highway speeds..

Great points Fred. Duplication of the problem often leads to a quicker less expensive fix. Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby gtiguy [OP] » May 19th 2010, 2:10pm

Hello guys,

Its me again.

Yesterday I checked the pit man arm and it passed (no slack or movement when manually shaken).

As per Chefred112, my van does have lower suspension not because of modification but from sagging rear spring... It is seating about 2 inch lower than other Astro Van. Can this 2 inch drop cause that vibration?

A friend of mine came to visit and he used to be an auto mechanic at military service in Korea.. I have shown the van and he suggested that my ball joint could be at fault.... told him that it is making a creaking noise when I am reversing. So since I have the parts we will start on replacing the part (Last time I ordered the whole front assembly just in case).

Can someone in here tell me what is the size of the center nut that holds the wheel bearing assembly and the nut on the lower ball joint on 99 astro van AWD? I will buy them before I go home from work.

I will keep it posted.

Thanks guys.
Original Poster [OP]
gtiguy
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)

Postby chefred112 » May 19th 2010, 6:49pm

yes..2" does make a difference in pinion angle..and can cause vibrations, again.. if vibration is constant this may not be it..but, if you know that it comes on at a certain speed range (let's say 55 mph), but not at 50 mph then it could be the pinion angle... can you take a pic of the driveshaft right where it meets the pumpkin (but far enough where we can see the angle that it meets)... the pumpkin angle should be slightly lower then where the drive shaft meets it (kinda like a V but very slight)... when you mentioned sagging leafs, that could be your issue too... what happens under torque, the axle wants to rotate upwards and it's the leafs that keep it in position.. weak leafs will allow the axle to rotate too far under load which can cause vibe's and also when tq is released which allows the axle to rotate too far the other way... this is theory to me but bein around the vibe's on my dropped ram, I had to shim the leaf/axle to get the angle correct (and lessen the vibes)...
chefred112
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Fueling (1/2 tank)
Years of Membership: chefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full yearschefred112 has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 8
Alias (AKA): Fastfreddie
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE 4.3L V6 RWD