monroe oaverloads not enough?

monroe oaverloads not enough?

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 11th 2010, 10:55pm

here is what i have. they help but not when my back seat is in, and when i have cargo. i think i can raise up 1 more inch... when i figure out how. i think i'll start with body lift resin pucks. then i will shape and insert as spacers inbetween the coil and top plate. i'll do it so i don't have to remove shocks. don't worry i got an idea.... i'll take pics as i go. it will make sense when i get going on it, i just need to find resin pucks? 1.75" diameter?
this is a bit better than lowering my front tq-bars. it rides well....just needs a bit more help
97 astro 4.3w AWD hotrod stand in and multi purpose custom cruizer: DD
2006 sebring 2.7 touring: DD
1990 f150 super cab 5.8/ 351w dual fuel: dq
1980 buick regal sport coupe???
1976 460/c6 ford e350 21' motorhome project
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 67
Alias (AKA): cbd
Van Model Year: 1997
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3w CL AWD

Re: monroe oaverloads not enough?

Postby astroturf » August 11th 2010, 11:44pm

Cowboy, What are you trying to do?
Thanks, Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 112
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2wd Passenger

Postby Dirk » August 11th 2010, 11:44pm

Why not replace them with the air inflatable shocks? (can't come up with the right name for them just now)
Then you would be able to adjust them to the load you're carrying.

I myself wouldn't want to mess around with shims between the coil and top plate on these.
1985 Astro conversion, engine type N 4.3 4BBL

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

Parts are cheap breakdowns expensive.

Don't worry about miles per gallon, worry about smiles per gallon!
Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: Dirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 4.3L 4BBL

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 12th 2010, 2:41am

Dirk wrote:Why not replace them with the air inflatable shocks? (can't come up with the right name for them just now)
Then you would be able to adjust them to the load you're carrying.

I myself wouldn't want to mess around with shims between the coil and top plate on these.

cause i paid for the shocks and i want my moneys worth. i just need one more inch of lift in the back to make it sit right. i don't need to replace shocks, i need to replace the bagged springs, but i don't have $$$ for new leafs.
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan
Years of Membership: cowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full yearscowboydan has been a member for 10 full years

Postby workinVan » August 12th 2010, 3:22am

those shocks don't "lift" they support
they're made to keep the bounce out of heavy loads
if the leaf springs are shot then the only way to lift the body back up is to fix the springs
hit the junk yards and try to find an 03 to 05 to replace them affordably

i did the same shocks and did the same fix i suggested
2000 cargo 4.3 v6 W rwd, a/c, G80, silverstars, hood struts, magnaflow cat
and a big honkin air filter....possibly for sale make an offer
workinVan
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: workinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 9
Alias (AKA): notjim
Extra Info: 4.3 rwd cargo

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 12th 2010, 4:23am

workinVan wrote:those shocks don't "lift" they support
they're made to keep the bounce out of heavy loads
if the leaf springs are shot then the only way to lift the body back up is to fix the springs
hit the junk yards and try to find an 03 to 05 to replace them affordably

i did the same shocks and did the same fix i suggested

they lifted my van 1" (yes i mesured) when i first put them on. if i put more pressure to the coils, they will lift more. i'm not shoping for leafs this year, i need other parts. this mod will be next to free, and it won't take me long to make them fit. when i find what i'm looking for, i will post pics,
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby Phantom » August 12th 2010, 2:45pm

I used those on a Olds Custom Cruiser wagon when the shocks went bad , they were decent ok but not as good as factory Air adjustable
Air adjustable shocks are quite affordable and many full size cars come with them from the factory,. they are self-adjusting , when the rear has additional weight added and lowers the rear of vehicle ,the sensor automatically increases the air in the shocks raising them to a preset height to bring the rear back to level position, . That position can be set to whatever you want it to be , you can find the air pump on many cars at the salvage yard ,
hope this helps
Phantom
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L4)
Years of Membership: Phantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full yearsPhantom has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 15
Alias (AKA):

Postby workinVan » August 12th 2010, 11:13pm

cowboydan wrote:
they lifted my van 1" (yes i mesured) when i first put them on. if i put more pressure to the coils, they will lift more. i'm not shoping for leafs this year, i need other parts. this mod will be next to free, and it won't take me long to make them fit. when i find what i'm looking for, i will post pics,

lifted? or provided a little bit more load support so you got back towards stock height
workinVan
Years of Membership: workinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full yearsworkinVan has been a member for 11 full years

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 13th 2010, 12:17am

workinVan wrote:
cowboydan wrote:

lifted? or provided a little bit more load support so you got back towards stock height

what's the difference? i didn't put them on to get over stock to begin with. 1" just wasn't enough.
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby Dirk » August 14th 2010, 12:14am

I think what workinVan means is, did the overloads lift your Van or simply restored it to stock height?

Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Years of Membership: Dirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full yearsDirk has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 14th 2010, 1:26am

Dirk wrote:I think what workinVan means is, did the overloads lift your Van or simply restored it to stock height?

they are supposed keep stock height. i have pics of my van in in exterior forum. i think i need another inch, just so i can have my back seat in.
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby Dirk » August 14th 2010, 1:30am

If I remember correct you said they "lifted" your Van.
That would mean the back is either to heavy or the springs are worn out.
My guess is the springs are due for replacement.

Dirk
250k+ Miles
250k+ Miles
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 14th 2010, 2:13am

Dirk wrote:If I remember correct you said they "lifted" your Van.
That would mean the back is either to heavy or the springs are worn out.
My guess is the springs are due for replacement.

defenition of lift: to raise from one point to to a higher position, (1"). i had already mentioned that my springs were bagged and needed to be replaced
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby astroturf » August 14th 2010, 2:28am

astroturf wrote:Cowboy, What are you trying to do?
Thanks, Jim

Again, I ask. What are you trying to do?

Then just do it already, and stop with the banter...

Jim
My Cup is neither half empty nor half full... But has a hole in it. Holy Cup Holders Batman. LOLz, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Years of Membership: astroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full yearsastroturf has been a member for 11 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 14th 2010, 2:41am

astroturf wrote:
astroturf wrote:Cowboy, What are you trying to do?
Thanks, Jim

Again, I ask. What are you trying to do?

Then just do it already, and stop with the banter...

Jim

just trying to get one more inch. you don't like banter?
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby astroturf » August 14th 2010, 2:42am

I love constructive banter...
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby cowboydan [OP] » August 14th 2010, 2:51am

astroturf wrote:I love constructive banter...

contructive reading helps constructive banter.
Original Poster [OP]
cowboydan

Postby astroturf » August 14th 2010, 2:59am

cowboydan wrote:
astroturf wrote:I love constructive banter...

contructive reading helps constructive banter.

Well Thanks Cowboy...

I had never considered that.

Thanks Again, Jim
astroturf
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Alias (AKA):

Postby workinVan » August 15th 2010, 4:59pm

constructive thinking helps with constructive results,
so i guess we've established that your springs suck and need to be replaced when you can afford to
and that the monroes are a stock height shock and can not provide lift above stock height or any adjustable lift either
so the resolution to the problem would be...
either replace springs or a 4 link setup with adjustable coilovers

ok glad we got that figured out, i'm gonna be somewhere else now not caring anymore, thanks and your welcome
notjim
workinVan