Rear suspension - metal to metal clashing sound

Rear suspension - metal to metal clashing sound

Postby pbob65 [OP] » December 22nd 2015, 11:19pm

Hi All,
I'm getting a disturbing noise from the rear suspension. It seems the bolt have some 'play' in the frame-hole and that give a metal-to-metal clash or click sound.

Any suggestion how to solve this ?
How is this bolt called ? Should I order a new one ?
I also thouhgt I would need to make the holes bigger (reamer) and use an over-size bolt.
(FYI : the picture is borrowed. Our van has new suspension and no rust (anymore :) )
thanks for the feedback.

I'm new to Astro. I recently saved a 1991 after it was abandoned for more than 6 years. My wife and I completely rebuild and hand painted the van for our son.
Attachments
bolt.jpg
suspension bolt
Original Poster [OP]
pbob65
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: pbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1991
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Suspension recommendations
    by rozmpatterson » September 9th 2020, 10:18pm in Stock Suspension
    1 Replies
    Last post by sixsix View the latest post
    September 10th 2020, 4:30pm
  • Suspension
    by marchese68 » September 21st 2020, 8:40pm in Stock Suspension
    1 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    September 21st 2020, 9:19pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 26th 2021, 10:11pm

Re: Rear suspension - metal to metal clashing sound

Postby WoodButcher » December 23rd 2015, 1:46am

New rear shocks.
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby astroman97 » December 23rd 2015, 3:06am

What shape are the rubber bottom out bumpers on the axle in? Could that be the noise?
astroman97
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full yearsastroman97 has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 78
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2003
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: Also 97 both 2wd

Postby Mr_Bowtie » December 23rd 2015, 4:01am

The bolts are metric it's possible someone used the wrong size standard bolts when they did the shocks as metric bolts are not as easily available. :shrug:
If you suspect the bolts are making the noise pull them out and wrap some electric tape around the shaft of the bolt that sits in the frame to see if the noise goes away. Redneck..... :chevy:
1985 Astro - 350/700r4....loud & low! :chevy:
'96 Dodge 2500 Ramwagon Van
'68 VW Bug 1600cc
'00 Grand Prix GT
'00 Subaru Outback Legacy sedan
Mr_Bowtie
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Mr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full yearsMr_Bowtie has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 74
Alias (AKA): Nick
Van Model Year: 1985
Extra Info: 350 with 700r4

Postby pbob65 [OP] » December 23rd 2015, 2:30pm

thanks for the feedback so far

shock are new (WoodButcher) : the question could be if I installed the correct ones . I bought them in a special US car shop but here (in Europe) that is not always guarateed quality ....

astroman 97, rubbers seem in OK condition : I cannot get them to make any sound

We only have metric bolts :) the gap is not big enough to use any plastic or fabric tape.
Is there another type of 'filler I could use" ?

Did anyone experience 'worn out frame holes" or am I looking in the wrong corner ?
Original Poster [OP]
pbob65
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Years of Membership: pbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full yearspbob65 has been a member for 5 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby Lumpy » December 23rd 2015, 4:55pm

Disconnect the lower shock mount bolts. Grab the shock with your hands and try to move it around. That should disclose if you have an upper mount problem. Reverse to check the lower mount.

I don't think an enlarged upper hole would be much of a problem unless it was enlarged by a really huge amount.

I'd be more inclined to look for other, loose parts. Brake lines, fender panels and liners etc.

You could temporarily REMOVE one of the shocks then carefully drive around. That should help narrow it down to shocks or something else.

Lump
Lumpy
Deprived Privileges
Deprived Privileges
Years of Membership: Lumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full yearsLumpy has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 261
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: 11 in. lift Camo

Postby sixsix » December 23rd 2015, 5:42pm

Is there some reason you did not include a photo of the bad area you speak of ( play in bolt ) on the van in question?
You included another van's photo.
Please describe better - is it the actual van "frame" that the shock mount bolt goes thru that is bad? You said it flops around or something, but you cannot shim it because it's too tight. And you cannot use a larger diam. bolt.

pbob65 wrote:Did anyone experience 'worn out frame holes" or am I looking in the wrong corner ?

Maybe you ARE NOT - generally if those areas are "wallered" out, you may need a sheet metal guy and or welder person to repair and redrill your shock mount holes. If you search - you may find - others who also experienced this problem.

Would love to help. I also love the way you get the wife working.

Mike

Well, after all... what would Banacek say ?... Anyone that condones the actions of the American People during the Storming of the Capitol are as complicit as the Assholes themselves.
But no way does this let the Democrats or the MSM off the Hook.

sixsix
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby pbob65 [OP] » December 23rd 2015, 11:33pm

thanks for the input. I will try out a few thing tommorow morning and provide feedback

@Mike; my wife is not only working .... she loves driving the astro ... my son and I have to make special reservations if we want it :)
Original Poster [OP]
pbob65
Fueling (Empty tank)
Fueling (Empty tank)
Alias (AKA):