Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Firestone Ride-rite air helper springs

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  txturbo 
#1 ·
Anyone installed these? I need to install something to keep the rear from sagging so much when I tow. I also noticed they say for cargo van only from 85-98. Mine is a 1997 passenger.

#4 ·
I have a set of air springs on my C1500 and they work great. When loaded with my trailer, I add air to get the rear ride height back to where it is when unloaded. BTW, a simple bicycle pump is all that is needed! I do not see how the Timbren can level a loaded truck.

How much are the Timbrens? I paid about $200 for my air springs from Summit Racing.

#5 ·
I haven't had time to get a price yet. They don't level a loaded truck...they prevent it from sagging in the first place. Most of the air spring manufacturers I've checked with don't show a listing for the passenger van....only the cargo van. Not sure why. Cheapest I found was almost $300.

#6 ·
txturbo said:
I haven't had time to get a price yet. They don't level a loaded truck...they prevent it from sagging in the first place. Most of the air spring manufacturers I've checked with don't show a listing for the passenger van....only the cargo van. Not sure why. Cheapest I found was almost $300.
I found this for you . . . $189.69 at Summit Racing
Air Springs, Rear, Chevy, GMC, Astro/Safari, Kit
Part Number: AIR-59521

#9 ·
LoL....not much to it. Jack the back of the van up, letting the rearend hang free. Lay the helper Springs on top of the leaf springs behind the axle tube. Drop the u-bolts on each end and tighten up the front u-bolt all the way. The rear u-bolt is tightened according to how much assistance is needed. The more you tighten the rear u-bolts the more load assist you get.
I actually gained about an inch of height in the rear and the van rides better. I haven't had a chance to actually tow the load yet...but I did put a load on the rear to see if it still sagged as much and it looked ok. It was squatting pretty bad before and the tongue weight was only about 250 pounds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.