Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Reinstall Oil Filler Tube

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Lumpy 
#1 ·
I'm trying to do an oil change on my 95 Safari and the oil filler tube has come out of the grommet that holds it into the engine and the bolt that holds it in place. This is the first time I'm changing the oil in this van so I don't know what happened before. I'm unable to get the tube back into the engine. I can get the grommet in and out, I can get the tube into the grommet out of the engine but I can't get them both in the opening together. Maybe I'm not strong enough or maybe someone knows a trick?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
I had to remove the right side exhaust manifold to get mine re-installed. Not really a difficult job and only costs a new gasket for a few dollars. Probably a little more difficult for vans with less access than mine. But still perfectly do-able. No special tools or precision tolerances. I don't even think I was able to fit a torque wrench on mine. I used the Maher-guess-feel method which has been known to be off as much as a quarter ft/lb.

Great time to do the spark plugs. Replace the O ring on the end of the dip stick tube.

Lump

#3 ·
You have to take the engine cover/doghouse off. The first half goes in and it bolts to the block. Then put the second half in that. It bolts to the back of the alt bracket on mine. Leave the first half loose where it bolts to the block when trying to get the second half in so it has some wiggle room. When you do tighten that down pul it away from the spark plug or the socket will never go on.

Some one probably took that bolt out to change plugs and left it out. I have to take mine loose to change that plug.

And the lumpster beat me to it.

#5 ·
Thanks for the tips. I did end up pulling the dog house but was still struggling quite a bit until I decided to oil the end of the filler tube that goes into the grommet. I was able to get it in place that way and all seems to be well.

Thanks so much,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.