Chevy Astro and GMC Safari Forum banner

Announcing the "V8 Club"

19K views 48 replies 24 participants last post by  ChocloConQueso 
#1 ·
:layrubber: V8
Do you crave horsepower?
Was that wimpy 4.3L V6 not enough for you?
Are you now growling down the road with the V8 under the hood of your AstroSafari?

If you answered Yes to these questions then we want you to be part of the club. Gain a little recognition for what you've done to your van.
Join the V8 Club.

How to request to join:
  • Click on User Control Panel.[/*]
  • Click on the Usergroups tab.[/*]
  • Select the "V8 Club" option.[/*]
  • Select "Join selected" from the drop-down below.[/*]

Hope to see all those V8 vans join!

See less See more
#28 ·
Unacceptable.... his most active category is V8 Swap, he has a V8 in his van.... clearly should have V8 Club tag.
If he can only have one tag, we must modify the forum code to allow multi tags. Purely unnacceptable.

Word of the day: UNNACCEPTABLE :nono:

#29 ·
you can pick what ever tag you want to be shown. i believe i can bring the v8 tag up but the original member tag would be gone. if mr_roboto wants something similar changed please have him PM me. i will do what i can. just to be clear up front it is not a whole lot. i do not write code or program the site at all.

#30 ·
From experience, I know that if someone wants to be a member of whatever club, that person has to ask for admittance. If someone doesn't ask then there must be a reason. I would think that if mr_roboto wanted to join, he would have by now.

It's best to let things go if it isn't your business. I don't mean to be curt, but it is someone else who should be asking.

Keith

#31 ·
wheels55 said:
:screaming: HEY@@!!!!!!! :bouncy:

Is there a reason Mr_Roboto's profile does not reflect V8 Club?

;;;-)
I will not speak for Mr_Roboto.All I am saying here is Alex has been over the yrs a friend and allies to me.The rules for the V8 club where you had to have a drivable van.Alex is fully aware of that and I would think that is the reason why he hasn't said anything.He has gone threw a number of situations that has kept him from doing this swap for a long,long time.He has come out the other side of that and I am just enjoying seeing him get-er-done.

So let Mr_Roboto speak for himself.The tag isn't as important as seeing Alex enjoy doing this swap.For him,it has been a long time coming.

#32 ·
I applied, as of today I am the owner of a 98 Astro with a 350 vortech. I didn't do the swap, but I appreciate the efforts that went into it, and will my due diligence to maintain and improve upon the previous owners works....not to mention LOTS OF PICS and at least one Video...

Does that qualify me? :D

#36 ·
Didn't realize I had caused such a controversy in the V8 club here. I thought I sent something to Chevymaher, I may have not. All good to me any way you cut it. I think at this point I'd just like a running V8 van instead of a jack stand ornament. Maybe this year. Maybe not. :D

#37 ·
I just bought a 1991 GMC Safari XT with a LT1/4L60E combo. It's done right and everything works as it should including a/c. It has a 1994 computer and the performance shift button mounted under the steering column on the knee board.
The original owner did the swap and spent over $7000 doing it. It has an LT4 hot cam, ported aluminum heads, port matched intake, and a 2 1/2 y pipe to a single 3" with a flowmaster 2 chamber (that I thought was too loud so I had a resonator put on).

The van flies! And it surprises a LOT of people when it gets the best of them! :D

I will post pics as soon as it warms up enough here to wash it.

I hope I'll fit into the V8 club :D

#39 ·
I'm about to join!

My stock 4.3 went 282,000 original miles and broke a piston skirt. The replacement motor is a hot-rodded 350 from my '69 Chevelle, that's been patiently waiting to go in. I will be prepping the V8, and swapping it with the old V6 out this weekend. The V8 has a nice rumpity rump cam with lots of torque and hp!

I already have the special V8 mounts, shorty Hedman headers, chrome dress-up kit, aluminum radiator and electric fan, new brass freeze plugs, new high-volume oil pump, new timing chain, and full dual stainless Magnum 2 1/2" exhaust system. My 2nd shipment from Summit Racing should be arriving this weekend. The engine will be carbureted by Holly 750, Performer Intake, and no computer. Despite the performance goodies, the motor was getting about 15-18mpg which will be MUCH better than the V6 was getting!

I will attempt to run it with the stock 700R4 trans... but if it doesn't hold up I have a fresh almost new beefed up TH350 with an 11" B&M Holeshot converter. Already have 50's and 60's series rubber with Centerline aluminum rims.

I'll post some photos along the way.

Here is the '92 van...

...and donor motor (before cleanup)...
IMG_4575-Engine.jpg

...and where I'll be working in the garage...
IMG_4632.700.jpg

#43 ·
WOO HOO! Can I get a badge, please?!?!?

Gotta show off the pics---

Here is the engine all prettied up:
V-8engine.jpg

Here it is sitting in the sub frame:
V-8inFrame.jpg

Here it is as the body is being lowered:
V-8inBody.jpg

And here it is thru the doghouse:
V-8doghouse.jpg

(notice the 3rd pedal and sticky thingy?)

Gotta do a few more fixes, but it drove the 125 miles from my sister's place back home w/o any problems.

Whew. Never again.

-Andrew

#44 ·
YooooHoooooo! Is this thing on?!? Anybody home?!? :poke:

Is it possible to get my V-8 badge?!? :auto-layrubber:

See previous post from May 28th...

Thanks,

-Andrew

#45 ·
icebrrg3rd said:
Is it possible to get my V-8 badge?!?
Not only that... but it should automatically say your are "firing on 8 cylinders" now! LOL

Congrats on the V8 install!

Mine is ready to go in any time now... the last thing I have to do is tap an accy hole in one of my old style heads (passenger side)... and figure out how I'm going to hook the throttle cable to a carburetor. I think I'm going to change throttle cables. Also a little different from you, I'm using Hedmen shorty headers, and I'm loading in thru the front. The V6 came out very easily this way.

Other than that... mine is ready to go in! I'm not moving too fast with it though... too hot out! And I've got the AWD van as well. But there's a good chance it will go in by next weekend! This weekend should be the final prep... which isn't much.

So.... how about an update on yours! How's it been???

#48 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.