96 Astro LQ4/LQ9 Swap

96 Astro LQ4/LQ9 Swap

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 5th 2017, 5:40am

Hey everyone, we decided to pull the trigger and go for the V8 Swap... things are getting interesting so I figured I'd share with everyone.

This is my father-in-laws van, I work as a automotive tech so I'm giving him a hand, making his dreams come true :thumbup:
We initially did some work to the 4.3 (cam, headwork, etc.) but wasn't very impressed with the power it was making. We decided to go and turbo the 4.3 but after reading about the split-pin crank and issues with the fuel system/intake system with boost, its just seemed going to a v8 was going to be a more "bang for the buck" in terms of power and reliability.

I found a complete "LQ9" with all the goodies to make it run for $1000 bucks with the 4l80e transmission. This is a DBW setup.
IMG_0814.jpg

The 4.3 on the way out :wave:
IMG_0828.jpg

Engine bay awaiting its new friend
IMG_0825.jpg

Needs some TLC, looks like its had a rough life.
IMG_0821.jpg

Upon pulling one of the spark plugs, I wasn't surprised to find the this "LQ9" was actually a "LQ4". With pretty much the only difference being the pistons, I'll just throw a set of flat top pistons to bump the compression back up. I will be doing a complete tear down and giving it a bit of a refresh. Also she'll be getting an awesome sounding lumpy camshaft kit and a set of headers we got for free which we should be able to make fit.
Also found two cracks on the bell housing which I'll need to get welded up. Notice the top ear broken right off.
IMG_0819.jpg

We are currently trying to decide on accessory mounting brakes as we would like to keep and compressor in the factory location. Found this setup on Lssimple.net which looks nice, but need to make sure it will clear the booster/master cylinder
driver+high+mount+Ac.jpg
driver+high+mount+Ac.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

I'll will be updating weekly as I only have time on weekends to play. Any questions or thoughts welcome!

Also some other projects on the go....

Rear Wilwood disc conversion
IMG_0471.jpg

E-Fans with home made shroud
IMG_0539.jpg

Reinforcing the control arms, currently getting powder coated
IMG_0538.jpg

Rack and pinion conversion
IMG_0826.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: jonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 2
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1996
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: 4.3 Rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • V-8 SB400 swap and Body Swap
    by Porsche928gts » January 1st 2021, 11:06pm in V8 Swap
    10 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    January 8th 2021, 4:13pm
  • L31 Swap questions
    by dcsleeper » November 9th 2020, 12:29am in V8 Swap
    6 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 6:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 23rd 2021, 5:56pm

Re: 96 Astro LQ4/LQ9 Swap

Postby markmitch » March 5th 2017, 6:14am

wow thats quite the project, Watching.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 623
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby nonhog » March 5th 2017, 6:31am

Cool stuff! Interested in what cam you used in the 4.3 (curious)
V8 swap may be in my future but not the near future. :)
Recovering hoarder
My Slow build..... viewtopic.php?f=127&t=107426
nonhog
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: nonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full yearsnonhog has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 37
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: AWD

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 5th 2017, 3:17pm

nonhog wrote:Cool stuff! Interested in what cam you used in the 4.3 (curious)
V8 swap may be in my future but not the near future. :)

I don't have the cam sheet with me right now but I do believe we used a Lunati Voodoo 262/270 cam
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Years of Membership: jonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full yearsjonamond has been a member for 6 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby AstrofarianAstrofarian is online! » March 5th 2017, 4:01pm

I like what I see but wonder if maybe you gave up on the 4.3 platform a bit too soon? Chevymaher would most likely agree with me here. Although, if performance is the biggest thing you're after here, there is definitely no replacement for displacement. Just don't be surprised if you start running into similar rich-running/hesitation issues with the V8. Camming it up will definitely create a need to sort out some other issues especially where fuel mixture and manifold vacuum are concerned.
You're obviously skilled at fab work (NICE rack! lol) and up for a challenge. Just try and take it up in stages to keep a handle on effects of changes you make; makes the countermeasures easier to sort out afterwards.
I'm curious; did you do a thread on the rack & pinion conversion that I missed? What rack did you use and is there any bump-steer? Is/was toe-out on turns affected? Sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread just have questions about doing this mod in the future; read NO MORE IDLER ARMS to wear out in a year and a half!
Great thread....keep thinking "out loud" so we can all follow your progress!
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
AstrofarianAstrofarian is online!
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 5th 2017, 4:30pm

For the power numbers he wanted, v8 was just an obvious choice... although he really did want to keep the 4.3.

For the running rich/hesitation issues we were having, I swapped in a new 411 style PCM and bought hp tuners and sorted it all out.
I wasn't involved in the rack to much, my father-in-law did all of that but it did take him about a week on and off just to get all of his measurements correct to avoid any bump steer. All of this is happening at once so we never did get to drive it yet. It is a mustang rack, and I didn't make a thread on it was thinking about it but unfortunetly never did. Any questions you have I can ask him and I'll let you know.

Thanks, Jon
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby dryhumor » March 6th 2017, 12:47am

I'll be keeping an eye on you. Looks like you are about a month ahead of me on this swap. :banana:
dryhumor
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: dryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: Excursion axles LQ9

Postby icebrrg3rd » March 6th 2017, 5:50pm

It's looking great, but....

MORE DETAILS on the R&P! I know you didn't help with it, but if you could maybe get a few more pics, especially with the engine out right now. Maybe some part #s and/or dimensions would be appreciated. R&P is on my wishlist of things to do, and is moving closer to the top of the list.

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby TurnNburn » March 6th 2017, 6:20pm

Heck yes! Get some! This thing is going to be beastly when its done. Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 7th 2017, 5:08am

Thanks guys

I'll get as much information as I can about the rack this weekend
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby sfeaver » March 7th 2017, 5:15am

I'm interested in that information too! I'm in Hamilton...
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 8th 2017, 5:46am

sfeaver wrote:I'm interested in that information too! I'm in Hamilton...

I was eyeing the v8 swap member list and spotted that... also see a guy in ingersol, which I'm in Woodstock. There's also another guy in Oakville around the corner from my father in laws shop who has completed a lq4 swap in his 97 but he's not on here
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby WoodButcher » March 8th 2017, 1:55pm

Geez jon, I could use another V8 stro,,,, marry my daughter? please?
WoodButcher
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: WoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full yearsWoodButcher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 30
Alias (AKA): Bruce
Van Model Year: 1993
Extra Info: 5.7L RWD

Postby zach914v8 » March 8th 2017, 3:18pm

Very cool stuff you guys are building. BTW thanks for the Lssimple.net heads up, that driver high mount a/c is exactly what I have been looking for.
My Rides:

1974 Porsche 914 powered by a 305 Chevy v8.

1994 GMC Safari TBI 4.3, Lifted 4"
zach914v8
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: zach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full yearszach914v8 has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 12
Alias (AKA): ballzach
Extra Info: 4 inch lift

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 10th 2017, 12:24am

WoodButcher wrote:Geez jon, I could use another V8 stro,,,, marry my daughter? please?

:lol: :lol:
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby codydaniels » March 10th 2017, 3:40am

I might be wrong but I don't think that intake will fit under your van. I just completed my own LS swap and it is a very tight fit. Tight enough that the coil packs will not fit on top of the valve covers. There is some room on top but not much. I just went out and measured mine and there is about 9 inches of room between the top of the block and the bottom of the dog house.
Attachments
Factory wires tucked out of the way.JPG
104_2543.JPG
codydaniels
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Fueling (3/4 tank)
Years of Membership: codydaniels has been a member for 5 full yearscodydaniels has been a member for 5 full yearscodydaniels has been a member for 5 full yearscodydaniels has been a member for 5 full yearscodydaniels has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 17
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 2002
Extra Info: 5.7 LS1

Postby dryhumor » March 10th 2017, 5:12am

codydaniels wrote:I might be wrong but I don't think that intake will fit under your van. I just completed my own LS swap and it is a very tight fit. Tight enough that the coil packs will not fit on top of the valve covers. There is some room on top but not much. I just went out and measured mine and there is about 9 inches of room between the top of the block and the bottom of the dog house.

I'm over here on the wall waiting for you guys to start talking about wiring. I have yet to find a thread or link with someone saying they have all the gauges, ABS, and cruise working.

As for the truck intake, I should be ok because of a 3" body lift.
dryhumor
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: dryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full yearsdryhumor has been a member for 7 full years
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1999
Extra Info: Excursion axles LQ9

Postby CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online! » March 10th 2017, 6:27pm

All my gauges work though I did have to shove the stock PCM back into to get the fuel gauge to work properly. The cruise control works as well, just had to wire in the brake input switch to the LS PCM. I believe its a light blue wire.

PS I think that's just a stock photo form LSsimple.com showing the bracket he wants to use not his engine. Be a neat trick to stuff two snails under there.

:action-popcorn:
Pullin The Pass
CopperFiremistCopperFiremist is online!
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: CopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full yearsCopperFiremist has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 25
Alias (AKA): B
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LS Swap

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 11th 2017, 1:05am

:thumbup:
zach914v8 wrote:Very cool stuff you guys are building. BTW thanks for the Lssimple.net heads up, that driver high mount a/c is exactly what I have been looking for.
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Postby jonamond [OP] » March 11th 2017, 1:11am

dryhumor wrote:
codydaniels wrote:I might be wrong but I don't think that intake will fit under your van. I just completed my own LS swap and it is a very tight fit. Tight enough that the coil packs will not fit on top of the valve covers. There is some room on top but not much. I just went out and measured mine and there is about 9 inches of room between the top of the block and the bottom of the dog house.

I'm over here on the wall waiting for you guys to start talking about wiring. I have yet to find a thread or link with someone saying they have all the gauges, ABS, and cruise working.

As for the truck intake, I should be ok because of a 3" body lift.

Ill being using the factory "truck" intake. Seen it fit in a friends van with the engine raised about an inch or so.... there might be some trimming but it'll fit. He also has the coils on his valve covers on it fits! although he did have to modify the coil brackets a little bit.

I feel confident in my electrical skills, the goal is to have everything work minus ABS...
Original Poster [OP]
jonamond
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Fueling (1/4 tank)
Alias (AKA):

Next