Wanting to make sure I'm off to a good start on my 5.7 swap

Wanting to make sure I'm off to a good start on my 5.7 swap

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 2:50pm

Here is the backstory to the start of my 5.7 swap. I hope everyone has been doing well. I haven't been hanging out here much after my job change. You gotta love heating and cooling. Long days of work everyday and work most weekends. Anyway back to the topic. I lost my 4.3 in my astro last February. It had been loosong about a 1/2 quart of coolant every couple months. Of course I found out the hard way it was loosing it though the intake manifold gaskets. By the hard way i mean i had just gotten on the highway. I looked down at the gauges, it was overheating and by the time i pulled off the road it spun a bearing
1998 chevy astro mark III conversion with 125,000 miles

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
rear lifted 1" with s-10 leafs
10,000 lb capacity transmission cooler
corvette 2nd gear servo
Trans-go SK4L60E shift kit

5.7 Vortec swap on the way
Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: timothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 41
Alias (AKA): Tim
Van Model Year: 1998
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: mark III conversion

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • V-8 SB400 swap and Body Swap
    by Porsche928gts » January 1st 2021, 11:06pm in V8 Swap
    10 Replies
    Last post by markmitchmarkmitch is online! View the latest post
    January 8th 2021, 4:13pm
  • L31 Swap questions
    by dcsleeper » November 9th 2020, 12:29am in V8 Swap
    6 Replies
    Last post by markmitchmarkmitch is online! View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 6:27pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 25th 2021, 8:45pm

Re: Wanting to make sure I'm off to a good start on my 5.7 s

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 2:54pm

Here is the importaint part . Figured id break it up in 2 post .I have been looking for a 5.7 since March and I finally found one yesterday. It's a L31 out of a 1996 Tahoe with 130,000 miles on it. I looked up the vin and it has had regular oil changes during its life in the tahoe. I got the engine, assessories, 5.7 maf sensor amd snorkle,and some of the wiring. Believe it or not i got it all for $187. The ladies at the junkyard charged me for a 6 cyl and i sure didn't correct them. I am currently dissambling the 5.7 for imspection, cleaning and new gaskets. If i have done my homework I need the swap motor mounts, i need to modify my harness for the 2 extra injectors and extend the knock sensor wiring, i need o2 sensors from an 01 express and have to rewire them to match, and I need to have my pcm flashed. Does that kinda sum it up? Besides an electric cooling fan and exhaust. I am going to reuse all my 4.3 accessories. I'm guessing the acc. brackets from my 4.3 can be reused as well ? I have the truck manifolds and they look like the exit the same position as the 4.3 manifolds. Can they be used? And Some say i can reuse the astro Y pipe is that correct? I measured it and it is the same diameter pipe as the 4.3. And the biggest question is drop the subframe or cut the core support? I just wanted to verifybim on the right track. This isn't my first engine swap but is my first v6 -v8 fuel injected swap. Thanks guys
Attachments
20170602_111823.jpg
She was dirty
20170602_225309.jpg
Cleaned up pretty well

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130
Years of Membership: timothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full yearstimothy47130 has been a member for 5 full years

Postby markmitchmarkmitch is online! » June 3rd 2017, 3:29pm

Is your van AWD? if so there is a write up of this same topic here still going on. The rear drive motor mounts can be bought from http://www.jagsthatrun.com/ The rest looks pretty much correct from what you wrote. You can get the PCM from the same truck and use it as I think that would be much easier. Best of luck to you. Mark

link to another V8 swap going on: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=110905
markmitchmarkmitch is online!
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 624
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby Astrofarian » June 3rd 2017, 3:36pm

.....cleaned up pretty well describes MORE than just the picture! $187.00 for everything you described is almost like a gift! Are you planning on opening the 5.7 up while it's on the floor for a timing chain/intake gasket/oil pump refreshing? Lots easier than doing any of that in-frame....but that's just me.
Best of luck to you on the swap; As for the subframe vs cradle debate; I've done it both ways and would probably lean more towards subframe drop for a V8 swap (which, admittedly, I have NOT ever done) just for ease of access to the mounts and exhaust while getting everything dialed in. Let the debate begin lol
-M!ke-
Move along....all is well.....return to your homes.....nothing to see here.
Astrofarian
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Astrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full yearsAstrofarian has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 14
Alias (AKA): M!ke
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: Someday......

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 4:54pm

Fortunately mine is a 2wd and those are the mounts I planned on getting. And there is no way in hell I would put that 5.7 in there without a light refreshing. Gaskets, timing chain, water pump, tune-up stuff, new distributor and oil pump.once I set that bad boy in there I don't plan on having to touch it again except for normal maintenace service. If my 4.3 acc brackets will work on the 5.7 I have plans to put the accoeries off the 5.7 on the old 350/350 hp engine in my 83 chevy truck. I been planning on doing a serpentine swap on it for years now, That's Just a little added bonus to my purchase. And I thought I couldn't use the 96 Tahoe pcm in my 98 . Oh you mean get the pcm from a 98 5.7 truck? A little funny side note. You know it's funny the wife Never really cared much for my Astro. after 4 months of Her and I riding around in my little $700 ranger ext cab with 2 kids in the back she couldn't be happier about my engine swap to get the Astro driving again. If you ever need to convince the wife to let you spend the time and money to fix ur Astro, buy a small truck and squeeze everyone in it everywhere u go for a few months. I guarantee you she will change her mind quick! Lol

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby Rinny » June 3rd 2017, 5:23pm

AWD motor mounts are not offered by JTR anymore. I would modify the subframe to accept the stock motor mounts with adjustment slots. extend the mount shelf to the front of the subframe about 4" you will have to modify the passenger side mount to but up to the front diff mount. If I do anchor build this is what I will do. I will slot the extended frame mount and weld a channel on the back side to accept the mounting nuts. They will slide in the channel but the channel will keep them from turning when you torque the bracket to the subframe.
03Astro AWD/4WD
5.7L+30,SS dual exhst,mild cam,Efan,CAintake
2100lb Springs,Jour Hangers/Shackles,3" Alum Blocks
TorsenDiffs,3:73'S,VettServo
NP236TC
Dual Piston Rear Calipers
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 3 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full years
Topics: 57
Alias (AKA): 5.7L, NP236, 3"Lift
Van Model Year: 2003
Extra Info: 5.7L NP236

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 3rd 2017, 10:18pm

Sure glad mines a 2wd. It's about time having a 2wd pays off with less work involved for me :D

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby astroracer » June 5th 2017, 5:43pm

You don't have to spend money on mounts. it's easy enough to make your own...
On the passenger side all you have to do is move the frame mount 3" forward from it's stock location. measure 3" straight forward from the current bolt holes (three of them) and redrill the holes with a 7/16ths drill.
For the drivers side things are a bit different as there is not enough cradle in front of the frame mount to move it. It's easy enough to add a plate and gusset to the existing mount as shown in my illustration.
To make this work you HAVE to take the engine mounts OFF the V6 and flip them side for side. The drivers mount to the passenger side and the passenger side to the drivers side. This takes up all but that 3" that you have moved the tower mounts forward. This easy AND CHEAP solution will leave the trans right where it sits and you can use any header you so desire to make the V8 talk... :)
Mark
1994 Astro with an LT1 350 (Ron Burgundy)
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1995 GMC Sierra (the show truck)
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1988 Astro (the BadAst Project
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 13
Alias (AKA): astroracer
Van Model Year: 1988
Extra Info: Major renovation

Postby Rinny » June 5th 2017, 6:12pm

astroracer wrote:You don't have to spend money on mounts. it's easy enough to make your own...
On the passenger side all you have to do is move the frame mount 3" forward from it's stock location. measure 3" straight forward from the current bolt holes (three of them) and redrill the holes with a 7/16ths drill.
For the drivers side things are a bit different as there is not enough cradle in front of the frame mount to move it. It's easy enough to add a plate and gusset to the existing mount as shown in my illustration.
To make this work you HAVE to take the engine mounts OFF the V6 and flip them side for side. The drivers mount to the passenger side and the passenger side to the drivers side. This takes up all but that 3" that you have moved the tower mounts forward. This easy AND CHEAP solution will leave the trans right where it sits and you can use any header you so desire to make the V8 talk... :)
Mark

This is an excellent and easy way to go about it. I am doing the same thing accept my mod will have adjustment to slide the drive train forward or backwards about 3/4 of an inch. Might help with fitment when you put the body on the clip? You might want to weld you nuts on the plate for east installation and removal if you do it with out adjustment?
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Rinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full yearsRinny has been a member for 5 full years

Postby astroracer » June 5th 2017, 6:23pm

No need for any adjustment. Unless you do the same thing to the trans crossmember. Then, sliding the trans forward or backward, will screw with the slip joint on the driveshaft. If you hit the 3" dimension closely the V8 engine will drop right on the mounts with no issue.
Mark
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer
Years of Membership: astroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full yearsastroracer has been a member for 11 full years

Postby Rinny » June 6th 2017, 8:31pm

astroracer wrote:No need for any adjustment. Unless you do the same thing to the trans crossmember. Then, sliding the trans forward or backward, will screw with the slip joint on the driveshaft. If you hit the 3" dimension closely the V8 engine will drop right on the mounts with no issue.
Mark

Trans bracket has 1/2" of adjustment in it , possibly a lil more did not put a Vernier on it.
03Astro AWD/4WD
NP236TC
GY DTrac 235/85/R16
ARB &/Custom bumpers
2x6x1/4 Rockrails
Rinny
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 6th 2017, 8:35pm

I habe decided I'm just going to buy the brackets to speed things up a bit. Dont get me wrong i love fabrication work but woukd rather spend the time i save on motor mounts cleaning up my engine compartment and painting / cleaning up my engine.

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 6th 2017, 8:56pm

I finally got the swap engine torn down and it's looking like it's had a rough 130,000 miles. The cylinders are pretty carboned up. The oil rings were carboned up. I woukd say it was an oil burner. Thankfully there are no deep scratches in the cylinders . The crankshaft is smooth and the cam looks great. I think I may just get away with a light overhaul. Hone the cylinders, new rings, cam bearings, main and rod Bearings, and new gaskets. I'm not sure about the heads yet. I'm leaving them up to the machine shop. Guess i will know sometime next week what to expect on the block and heads when the machine shop gives me a call.
Attachments
20170603_203951.jpg
20170603_204100.jpg
Looks oily from wd40 to keep it from rusting up

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby sfeaver » June 6th 2017, 9:05pm

When I did my swap I bought a brand new L31 crate motor. I think I paid 2400$ Canadian at the dealer. If you find refreshing your motor is expensive, might be worth seeing what a new one is worth. You already have the upper stuff and bracketry from this one. I bought a used block at first too and opted to go new so I didnt have to do it again. But maybe the rebuilding wont be all that much... Plus you can change things if you want too.
sfeaver
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 6th 2017, 9:11pm

This is a budget build so a new short lock is outta the question unfortunately. It's such a tight budget there cant even be a cam swap done.Roller cams are expensive. Unless someone has a good used mild cam laying around to sell me. The only thing that will be modified on this motor will be the cleaning of casting flash in the block around oil drain back holes, coolant ports and cleaning up the casting flash in the intake manifold runners and heads. I will probably clean up any sharp edges on the outside of the block and heads as well. I was surprised to see I could still make out the crosshatch pattern from the honing in the cylinders. There are some light scratches but nothing that your fingernail will catch and you can barely catch them at all with a screwdriver. I may have even put the light scratches in the cylinders when I turned it over by hand to remove the Torque converter bolts at the junkyard. No telling when the thing had oil on the cylinders last. I should have sprayed it full of wd before even attempting to turn it over really. Live and learn

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby sfeaver » June 6th 2017, 9:30pm

There was crosshatch still in my old block too with around the same mileage. So yours probably isnt in that bad of shape.

I did my swap about eight years ago now I think.. Let me know if you run in to a snag and I will try help.
sfeaver
Years of Membership: sfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full yearssfeaver has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 29
Alias (AKA): Scott
Van Model Year: 2001
Extra Info: LT RWD 350ci V8

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 6th 2017, 9:59pm

Thanks,I appreciate you offer. I could be making it out to be worst off than it really is. The thing is I have torn down cleaner engines with way more miles on them. I expected this one to look a bit dirty but not the way it looks. It reminds me of tearing into an old carbureted v8 that has been running rich for years. All that carbon has to be from leaky injectors. certain cylinders have more build up than others. That and I'm a little out of practice. Last engine I built was in 2008 and it was an old school build . 1969 L46 350/350 hp for my 83 chevy truck. Since then I have been fortunate enough not to loose any engines. My luck switched to having trans probs with everything I own.lol

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Postby astroracer » June 7th 2017, 1:07pm

timothy47130 wrote:I habe decided I'm just going to buy the brackets to speed things up a bit. Dont get me wrong i love fabrication work but woukd rather spend the time i save on motor mounts cleaning up my engine compartment and painting / cleaning up my engine.

I would think "on a budget" means doing things cheap or for free. Spending $100 on some brackets, when you can do the same thing for free, doesn't make sense to me. Also, it looks like you have all the time in the world to do this mod while you are cleaning and painting and waiting for an engine to be rebuilt... Just saying... Spend the money you'll save on these brackets on a cam or good parts for the engine...
Mark
2004 Astro
2000 Monte Carlo SS
1994 Formula V8 Firebird
1956 Chevy Station Wagon
astroracer

Postby icebrrg3rd » June 7th 2017, 3:35pm

If I would have had those pics, I would have done that motor mount mod over buying the brackets. Main reason I am cheap, second would be the possibility of headers (clearance issues), and third is my mounts broke, most like due to more stress from a manual transmission. Next engine swap maybe...

Good luck on the build. Don't forget pics...

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim 650XJ 650cc 68k mi
91 Chevy Astro 5L 5-speed, Ford 9" 265k mi
02 Yamaha Road Star 1600cc 27k mi
02 Chrysler Sebring Conv. 2.7L 5-speed 216k mi
10 Chrysler Town & Country 3.8L 194k mi

To her it's all dollars and no sense--Wimpazz
icebrrg3rd
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: icebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full yearsicebrrg3rd has been a member for 11 full years
Topics: 50
Alias (AKA): Andrew
Van Model Year: 1991
Extra Info: V-8 5-sp RWD Shorty

Postby timothy47130 [OP] » June 7th 2017, 5:55pm

I thought the mounts where only $60 ? my problem is the time it takes to build them. I work for a small heating and cooling company and that means 12 hour + days and most weekends. With not being home much except to sleep the $60 is well worth it to me.

all stock besides-
dual exhaust
corvette 2nd gear servo

Original Poster [OP]
timothy47130

Next