Engine removal

Engine removal

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 11th 2018, 12:33am

Quick. Questions
Which way is the easiest to pull the engine on a 97 astro
To do the V8 swap. Cut core support. Pull Subframe?
I have to rebuild the suspension also
Thanks in advance
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: Astrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 21
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: 4.3 v6 rwd

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Clip removal
    by Rinny » September 2nd 2020, 10:21pm in V8 Swap
    10 Replies
    Last post by Rinny View the latest post
    September 3rd 2020, 6:23pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    March 1st 2021, 2:04am

Re: Engine removal

Postby TurnNburn » December 11th 2018, 12:39am

depends on the tools and space you have really. I drop the subframe, but others pull the front.
2000 Astro- Camperized, bumpers, lifted, LS 5.3 V8, 4x4 T-case, Truetrac rear locker, 31x10.5x15 BFG KO2's
"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes"
Build thread- https://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?t=103066"
TurnNburn
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Green Status (L4)
Green Status (L4)
Years of Membership: TurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full yearsTurnNburn has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 11
Alias (AKA): iGoogle
Van Model Year: 2000
Extra Info: 5.3 4x4 Overlander

Postby markmitch » December 11th 2018, 1:45am

since you plan on rebuilding the front suspension too then pull the sub frame remove the engine , rebuild the suspension then put the V8 into the sub frame all connected to the trans.then put it back under the body. But you will need room to be able to do all of this work plus a way to lift the body safely. and a friend or two to move the sub frame out then again back under the body. Plus suspension tools and so on and so forth. But if you decide to cut the radiator supports to pull the engine find a 1st gen Astro/Safari in a salvage yard and get the bolt on parts and use them as a cut guide so you can bolt the first gen pieces in place like it was on the 1st gen vans. 1st gen =1985 to 1995. Not sure if the 95 model was bolt in though. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 626
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby 1lowcab » December 11th 2018, 2:21am

Through the front for mine for 2 reasons.

1. I didn't have the room to pull the subframe

2. I had to replace the radiator support anyway due to rust so chopping it up didn't matter.
1lowcab
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » December 11th 2018, 2:26am

Seems to me,if going through the trouble of a v8 swap,you would want to remove the subframe,clean and treat the rust,and coat/paint,as a lot of money is involved.
MechBob
Firing on 2 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby M_a_t_t » December 11th 2018, 2:58am

markmitch wrote:Not sure if the 95 model was bolt in though. Mark

Mine is not
1973 Fiat 124 Special
1975 Honda Civic CVCC 4spd
1981 Kawasaki KZ750E
1981 Kawasaki KZ650 CSR
1983 Kawasaki KZ1100-A3
1986 Nissan 300zx Turbo 5 spd
1995 Chevy Astro RWD
1995 Mercury Tracer
2004 Chevy Astro AWD
2017 Kawasaki VersysX 300
M_a_t_t
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L1)
Years of Membership: M_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full yearsM_a_t_t has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 27
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1995
Extra Info: cl rwd

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 11th 2018, 3:29am

I have the room and capabilities to remove the subframe
So i may go that route. What's the best V8 mounts?
I had it saved but cannot find it. Im going to be doing Vortec v6 to vortec V8. Same year swap. I have the complete pickup
What headers?
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Years of Membership: Astrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full yearsAstrox2 has been a member for 4 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby MechBob » December 11th 2018, 3:32am

https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/astro-van-v8-parts as far as the headers and such,how about trying to use the search box,upper right hand corner.
MechBob
Years of Membership: MechBob has been a member for 2 full yearsMechBob has been a member for 2 full years
Alias (AKA): Bob
Van Model Year: 1994
Extra Info: 4x4

Postby Big_kid » December 11th 2018, 3:53am

My 95 did not unbolt. I bought that section from a earlier van but it won't just bolt in, I don't remember exactly why offhand.

I went with stock Dorman manifolds from Summit, I didn't want to deal with headers. IIRC 68600 shorty are rumored to fit, do your own research to confirm. I've been wrong more than once in my life.

I cut the support because I didn't have time/room/ability to drop the frame. My van had to look like a van the whole time it was down.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby markmitch » December 11th 2018, 5:08am

The 92 was a TBI engine so if you use a V8 from a 92 then you will need the ECM and the TBI unit or at least the injectors from the V8 TBI. The headers are hedman 68600 but will not fit on an AWD. You can use two pieces of 1/4 inch steal to mount the stock motor mounts on if you don't mind doing some work but the mounts posted by MechBob make it easier. If your trans has a lot of miles on it you may wish to grab the one from the same vehicle you get the engine from. You can use the truck manifolds and Y pipe for an easier swap and do headers later that's what I did. The front brackets , ps pump, alt and ac pump can all be reused on from the V6 to the V8. You will want to use all the sensors such as knock , temp, etc from the V8 on the V8. coils are the same but the distributor has to be from a V8. Water pumps are interchangeable. EGR valves are too. I have done this quite a few times on these vans but all I have ever done is 1985 to 94. if you have any other questions feel free to continue asking. One thing I learned over the years. When doing an engine swap for the first time don't change anything until you get it running right then change one thing at a time otherwise your chasing your tail trying to find the problem that showed up after multiple changes. Good luck and keep us in the loop as to your progress. We all share the same wrenching bug as they say. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 16th 2018, 5:20am

Ok so just ordered my swap mounts from jags that run
Getting everything pulled off the 97 donor pickup.
Should I use tge V6 harness or V8 harness
Ive been planning this swap for a few years. But could never
Find a good donor. I remember reading you had to add two wires and re-pin the connector if using v6 harness
Thanks
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Alias (AKA):

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 16th 2018, 5:26am

20181212_202419.jpg
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Alias (AKA):

Postby Big_kid » December 16th 2018, 9:19pm

I used the existing V6 harness. The 95 has a wire going to the tuning valve, I moved the connection at the ECM and soldered in the connector for my second injector (my CPI only had one injector, the TBI donor has 2- same plug though). I had to lengthen and shorten some of the other sensor wiring. When I got the engine I also grabbed the harness and ECM from the donor. This allowed me to only have one splice and factory plugs on the wires I lengthened. It also gave me correctly colored wires to put into the ECM plug. I cut them out of the donor harness with a razor knife, I didn't want to risk damaging the pins by trying to remove them.

I printed out the wiring diagrams for my van and the donor from Autozone's website. I compared the 2, and found them nearly identical. Making the van's harness match the donor diagram wasn't difficult.
95 Astro Conversion of unknown irrelevant lineage
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?
Big_kid
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: Big_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full yearsBig_kid has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 185
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: 2WD 5.7 V8

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 25th 2018, 4:57am

Hey. Mechbob. How about i been on this site a little bit longer then you. Is it that hard to just post a simple reply
With said answers

Ive read and read different ways. So many ive forgotten.
Astro isnt my only vehicle. Or only project. Any help. I thank all of you

Got my mounts from jtr. Energy suspension control arm bushings
Some other front end parts. This will be my probably slow
And very long swap.
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Alias (AKA):

Postby markmitch » December 25th 2018, 5:58am

since you are going to use a vortec engine you will need the wiring harness and the ECM from the truck. These vans never came with the fuel system used on the 5.7 vortec engine so that is why I said you will need the harness and computer.
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer

Postby Astrox2 [OP] » December 25th 2018, 4:08pm

Yes its a 97 to 97 swap
Have both complete vehicles. Well body is gone on the pickup. When you drop thesubframe. Do you have to remove any body parts. Tia
Original Poster [OP]
Astrox2
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 25th 2018, 8:36pm

Astrox2 wrote:Hey. Mechbob. How about i been on this site a little bit longer then you. Is it that hard to just post a simple reply With said answers

Yeah, but he has 262 posts compare to your 153. LOL - we play hard together , but here we are...

:whistle: :whistle:

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L5)
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Postby AstroWill » December 25th 2018, 10:48pm

Some people enjoy writing the same things over and over again for those too lazy to search. Apparently some don't ;)

Trolls take away from productive work, best to ignore & go about your business. See: Dark Tetrad
Report terrorists and anyone inciting violence to FBI @ fbi.gov and 800-CALLFBI (225-5324)
AstroWill
Technical Director
Technical Director
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: AstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full yearsAstroWill has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 108
Alias (AKA): Critical Thinking+Common Sense
Extra Info: I love peaches

Postby 1lowcab » December 25th 2018, 11:07pm

That little search box isn't all its cracked up to be, most times its a pain in the *** and gives stupid results.
1lowcab
Years of Membership: 1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years1lowcab has been a member for 4 full years
Topics: 58
Alias (AKA):

Postby sixsix » December 26th 2018, 3:38am

I think the g00gle / any search engine combined with using astrosafari.com works well.
And using the advanced search feature helps, too.

Just have to use it.
I do and I am none the worse for wear. :blah: :blah: That's subjective, of course.

Mike

"Ban gerrymandering" out 1 side, then says, "We really need to get rid of the electoral college for starters, there is no way in hell that the person that receives fewer votes wins, simply crazy."
So only CAL, ILL & NY Elects

sixsix
Years of Membership: sixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full yearssixsix has been a member for 6 full years
Topics: 38
Alias (AKA): Mike
Extra Info: LT W CPI - RWD 200K

Next