98 Intake leaks and now bad sound. pissed off time for V8

98 Intake leaks and now bad sound. pissed off time for V8

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 9th 2013, 4:21am

Didn't want to replace my needed intake gasket that leaks water now badly and now the engine is making a taping sound low on the engine. Could be a flat lifter or wrist pin. I have good oil pressure and the oil is clean and it doesn't smoke. Could be something small and I'll pull the belt off Tomorrow and take a close look and listen. Rite now I don't look at It. So I thought I look around for another clean van with low miles and I cant find one. This is making me consider fixing the rite way with the V8 swap and a better trans. I looked on eBay and found a 1996 Corvette LT1 Engine/4L60E Automatic Trans Complete Package with 28K miles. My question is will this work in my 98 Astro LS with the stock 4.3 with 167K if not what should I be looking for? Thanks in advance for any help.
Attachments
IMG_4997.JPG
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L1)
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Topics: 18
Alias (AKA):
Van Make/Model: Chevrolet Astro
Extra Info: LS

• Similar topics
    Replies
    Views
    Author
  • Looking for V8 into AWD info
    by markmitch » September 17th 2020, 5:03pm in V8 Swap
    39 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    October 28th 2020, 10:07pm
  • Non LS V8 4x4 or AWD oil pan
    by markmitch » October 23rd 2020, 12:48am in V8 Swap
    4 Replies
    Last post by markmitch View the latest post
    November 27th 2020, 6:15pm
  •  
    Last post by AstroSafari.com View the latest post
    January 19th 2021, 10:46am

Re: 98 Intake leaks and now bad sound. pissed off time for V

Postby DRZ » May 9th 2013, 3:20pm

Stay on either side of '98 - '99 and it won't be the problem with GMs computer switch, and all your gauges and your ABS will still work. ( engine swap and Astro year)
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 5 Cylinders (L2)
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 53
Alias (AKA): HPbyStan
Van Model Year: 2004
Extra Info: awd cargo Alloys

Postby Mr_Roboto » May 9th 2013, 7:38pm

The big issue with the 98 is the ECU controls the gauges I believe. Someone else may step in and correct me on it, but a Vortec 350 would be far easier to swap if you can find one. That is a great engine though, very powerful with light weight heads etc. If you'd probably have to swap to a 96-97 dash or figure out if anyone has hacked the later ECU to work with the LT-1. Possible not holding my breath however.

ED:

a bit of quick research indicates piggy backing the stocker and the LT-1 ECU may be possible. You'd use the stocker to control gauges and the LT-1 unit to control the engine and trans. You also need to figure out how to disable the anti-theft (VATS) on this as well. There's a guy lt1swap.com I think it is that offers the service.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Firing on 1 Cylinder (L2)
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 9th 2013, 9:31pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm fine with a Vortec 350 I'm sure it will be a good upgrade. I would like to get a motor and trans combo with low miles. What kind of models and years would be the best fit? The nice thing about the corvette motor and trans is it had low miles. It's had to find a truck or van that hasn't been used much before the wreck. What kind of HP I'm I looking at? And is there a better trans to go with? Thanks again
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Years of Membership: CougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full yearsCougarsLS has been a member for 9 full years
Alias (AKA):

Postby DRZ » May 9th 2013, 9:34pm

1 9 9 9 is the year the computer starts running some of the gauges and the ABS changes as does the fuel gauge sending unit. 1 9 9 9. I put a '99 LS1 in a '98 Astro, been there, done that, ruined the T shirt
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: DRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full yearsDRZ has been a member for 12 full years

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 9th 2013, 10:10pm

1999 LS1 from what? and what kind of trans?
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby DRZ » May 10th 2013, 12:30am

Engine, Trans, puter, etc from '99 Trans-Am
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby redfury » May 10th 2013, 2:08am

Since you are looking to do the swap anyway, I'd upgrade the computer in the van to the 411PCM ( do a search ). It's easy to do, has a ton more functions that can be added depending on certain things ( like electric fans controlled through the ECM instead of having to wire in a switch and sending unit ). It's one of those things that just takes a little bit of time swapping wires from one to the other. Plus, when you get the tune for the V8, it'll run better because it's a faster computer. All you need to do to mount it is get a battery box for a 2001+ van since they use the same computer body.

The 4L60E is the same transmission used in our vans already, btw. GM used that transmission in a ton of cars, from the Impala to the corvette. Only real difference was valve bodies and a few other internals.
A temporary fix usually becomes a permanent solution, therefore it does not exist.
doghouse removal by me!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIJ0kuROlbU
redfury
U.S. Armed Forces
U.S. Armed Forces
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: redfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full yearsredfury has been a member for 10 full years
Alias (AKA): Mike
Van Model Year: 1998
Extra Info: LT 5.7L 4wd

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 10th 2013, 2:59am

So 1999 Vortec 350 is the LS1? Still haven't fond anyone that list the mileage on anything other than the corvettes. Trying for low miles but what I'm being told is that if it's more than 10 years old they don't list it. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of cash switching pans, oil sumps and brackets. If my brackets will fit on the new motor than that will leave me more options for finding a donor. It might be worth going with the low mile Corvette set up and trading the pan and oil sump for what I need. This is the first time for this kind of thing for me and I want to do it rite. I pulled the belt and still have the taping noise I now going to pull of the engine cover and get a closer look at whats up. I'm happy to say that my engine is clean and I keep it that way. Thanks again to all.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby Mr_Roboto » May 10th 2013, 4:28am

The Vortec 350 of 96-03 is a gen I engine, the LS1 is a gen III engine like the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2s are. If DRZ is right, then the LT-1 stuff should work with some wiring changes. Not sure what or how many but I'd advise grabbing diagrams for both. The LT-1 is a good engine from a performance and milage standpoint.
Mr_Roboto
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement
Years of Membership: Mr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full yearsMr_Roboto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 51
Alias (AKA):
Van Model Year: 1992
Extra Info: Heavily modified 383

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 10th 2013, 4:49am

I'm going need to do a lot of research to make sure I get it rite. I'm very interested in finding out what my options are. I really appreciate the help. Thanks. Cougar
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 10th 2013, 5:51am

It's confirmed my tapping sound is coming from down low on the left side of the motor my guess is that it's a wrist pin. I'm going to put everything back together so I can move it and use it if I have to. Short trips only from now on. I have another auto to use while I'm doing the build but rite now I'm finishing up another project so I can have some fun this summer. 1975 CB750F0 Super Sport. Completely original paint, seat, etc. the underside of the fenders are still shinny. Very rare in this condition. Made for two months only from January to February in 1975. One of the first super bikes and the first of the CB750F models made for years! Thanks again for all the help, Cougar
Attachments
IMG_5420.JPG
IMG_5584.JPG
Last edited by CougarsLS on May 11th 2013, 2:46am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby DRZ » May 10th 2013, 7:46am

Wow, that is a rare find. A friend of mine bought one new.
DRZ
V8 Swap Achievement
V8 Swap Achievement

Postby Corsemoto » May 10th 2013, 7:50am

No doubt, looks clean.
Corsemoto
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Firing on 6 Cylinders (L3)
Years of Membership: Corsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full yearsCorsemoto has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 39
Alias (AKA):
Extra Info: LT AWD

Postby markmitch » May 10th 2013, 12:39pm

I'm all for a V8 swap as I am doing one now, but if its just a wrist pin it may be cheaper and easier to do a basic engine overhaul on the V6. New gaskets, seals, rings bearings etc. I have a 1995 80,000 mile 4.3 sitting here depending on where you are, I believe you could put all your top end parts on it and call it good. By the way I am in New Hampshire. Mark
markmitch
AstroSafari Pioneer
AstroSafari Pioneer
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Firing on 7 Cylinders (L6)
Years of Membership: markmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full yearsmarkmitch has been a member for 12 full years
Topics: 622
Alias (AKA): 1st gen or frankenvan
Van Model Year: 1989
Extra Info: RS V8 AWD

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 10th 2013, 11:20pm

Sound comes and goes any thought on this? The tapping was steady for a while meaning the last few times I drove it. It has gone away before witch lead me to believe the it was a sticky lifter of flat lifter. The sound seems to be coming the passenger side low on the motor. I would think that if it was a bad wrist pin the sound would not go away and would get worse unless it found a way to tighten it's self :shrug: The intake gasket is leaking water pretty bad could this be causing the problem in some strange way? Once again the oil is very clean and the amount has not increased. I may be burning water there is a little steam when starting cold but no more than normal and goes away as some as its warm coming and seams to be burning clean and is not running hot. Power is also good. Any other ways to confirm whats going on? Thanks, Cougar____________________ Resent edit sound is back like an unwanted house guest!
Last edited by CougarsLS on May 11th 2013, 3:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 10th 2013, 11:42pm

If it is a leaking intake yes it could cause it. It is partially hydraulic-ing a cylinder, and beating the piston and rod to death. I have seen and rebuilt engines with bent rods and cracked pistons from just this.
Water getting into the intake tract and partially filling a cylinder with water. It doesn't compress well so pistons crack and rods bend, rod bearings spin. The fun just goes on and on after that.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Firing on 8 Cylinders (L7)
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 10th 2013, 11:55pm

DRZ wrote:Wow, that is a rare find. A friend of mine bought one new.

As In new this year or back in the day. Honda just released the new CB1100 My bike isn't a CB750 like most models but a CB750FO Super Sport made from 1975 to 1978 The CB750 bikes of thouse years were not Super Sports all though some people try to claim it. The Super Sports are indicated by a "F" are completely different bikes they share some pieces. Here's a picture of a 1975 CB750 compared to a CB750F0 The F0 has a hotter cam, a close ratio transmission, front and rear disk brakes, different frame and forks. This results in more HP and torque, better performance and handling and bigger grin factor :D
Attachments
1975 Honda 750.jpg
IMG_5584.JPG
Last edited by CougarsLS on May 11th 2013, 3:01am, edited 4 times in total.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Postby chevymaher » May 11th 2013, 12:23am

Upgraded CB Models. CB's none the less.

Wikipedias list.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_CB_series

Motorcycles classics write up.
http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/class ... sport.aspx

My uncle owned a CBX 6 cylinder supersport It was a CB on its title as well.

It is a nice bike I am not saying otherwise. I am just saying look at the list honda put supersport on a lot of bikes and titles and not all were FO's.
chevymaher
Team Leader
Team Leader
Years of Membership: chevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full yearschevymaher has been a member for 10 full years
Topics: 90
Alias (AKA): chevymaher
Van Model Year: 1994
Van Make/Model: GMC Safari
Extra Info: SLE RWD Mercruiser

Postby CougarsLS [OP] » May 11th 2013, 2:39am

My mistake for implying that it's not a CB it is. What I men't was that it's a complete different bike than the standard CB. As for the CB750 F0's and I should have been more clear that I was only talking about the first of the CB750's The single over head cam bikes and not all of the Bikes that Honda made. The F0 stands for the first of that series of 750 Super Sports after that the F1 ,F2, F3 until 1978. I also have a European model 1968 1/2 Honda CB450 Twin That is called a Super Sport. Yes you are correct and that they were many Super Sports made for many years. I edited the post to clear up any confusion.
Original Poster [OP]
CougarsLS
Alias (AKA):

Next